TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Space...the final frontier.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunar Hotel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: A Lunar Lodge on the Moon Reply with quote

If it is up to the government, we will never get to the Moon, let alone Mars. When private contractors charge $500.00 for a hammer for only one specific job on one specific part of a Lunar Lander (WARNING: This hammer good for only 40 whacks) it is far too expensive.

When the private sector decides to "Go For It" (Look at the Xprize contest) they pay attention to things like budget - go figure. That means a government project costing 500 million could be done for "only" 50 million.

Look what Virgin Galactic is doing (private money using government money, creating jobs in New Mexico with motivated workers) with their vision of space flight. Heck, they already have a full list of PAID tourists having laid down 20 grand.

Maybe the idea of a Lunar Lodge (LunarLodge.com) isn't a joke after all. But if the government ends up having control, maybe it really is " The Last Best Space "
More_Power

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've really fell behind in the last few years , I Think we have acomplished less in the past 20 years than we did in the 20 years before that , we have what "COULD BE" Amazing technoligy , But ,
The Goverment are messing around so much , one day theyer doing one thing and another they something else , and also , the space program , they are doing something new every day , jumping between projects , i think they need to set one serious goal and work at it , if they keep prosponing plans to do something else and coming back to it 6 years later when theyer other plan fail's we'l never get there ,
What this whole thing needs is some one like Richard Brandson , With private things like that we could get there!!!
Lunar Hotel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be there sooner than you think. Due to private enterprise. Even NASA knows the value of this - they're investing the green stuff. Look at the recent prizes they've awarded recently on the Lunar Lander project.

Buzz Lightyear is reality.

chiyeko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: populating space Reply with quote

If I sat on the board of directors of the universe, I would only allow Earth to populate another celestial body after it's social structure was worthy to replicate. As of today January 8, 2007, to allow earthlings to spread their so called civilization, would simply be spreading war, greed, slavery, poverty, and bigotry and to encourage earthlings to pollute another celestial body in any of the myriad of ways we continue to pollute our planet, our bodies, and our spirits would truly be criminal.
Lunar Hotel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Lunar Warming Reply with quote

Which is why you don't sit on the board...

Three more planets, a couple moons and an asteroid or two we should have it figured out by then.
Emrad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Space... Reply with quote

Chiyeko wrote:

"If I sat on the board of directors of the universe, I would only allow Earth to populate another celestial body after it's social structure was worthy to replicate. As of today January 8, 2007, to allow earthlings to spread their so called civilization, would simply be spreading war, greed, slavery, poverty, and bigotry and to encourage earthlings to pollute another celestial body in any of the myriad of ways we continue to pollute our planet, our bodies, and our spirits would truly be criminal".

A valid point there. You know, it's sad that the signals from Earth most likely to be detected by other civilizations (for the time being) come from our million Watt television transmitters spewing all of our commercial garbage, our strange "entertainment" programs and our oft discouraging and depressing news coverage of world events. Why we haven't picked up any signals obviously meant for us earthlings is anyone's guess, (assuming other civilizations exist somewhere out there), but if they're able to receive our TV signals I would tend to think they're smart enough to know they're meant for one-way communications. If other civilizations ARE watching, apart from sitting back and enjoying reruns of I Love Lucy, they'd probably reach just those kinds of conclusions about us... that when humans make the transition to living in space, we would take our pollution and war with us. After all, we've already been making science fiction films about exactly those sorts of events for quite some time now. As such, perhaps no other life has contacted us because earth (and a respectable area of space surrounding it) has been quarantined! Another subject on this site is entitled, "Exporting Our Reality", concerned mainly with the impressions our TV programming might have on people in other countries and cultures... when one expands this concept to include the way other civilizations might interpret us... whoa!

Emrad
Klatu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrad,

There is a good deal of truth and fact in your post however, there is at least some evidence from various scientific and non-scientific sources that we are in fact of great interest to the 'others'. The evidence more than suggests that there is an active campaign by certain militaristic forces that 'their' observational activity has become a nuisance... imagine that and the knowledge of their existance has been deemed (for our greater good) dangerous and therefore unwanted.

Doesn't it make you feel warm and fuzzy all over just to know there is someone out there acting on our behalf to defend us from these alien beings (others). This very act without any doubt is a result of an actual face to face meeting(s) or agreement(s) or disagreement(s) between the 'protectors' and the 'others' resulting in the current state of affairs.
Fear of the 'others' seems to be the motivating factor so, why would one fear them when there is so much to gain from them?

I have at least a million questions I would like to ask both sides. My personal suspection is that our 'protectors' know they are fighting a losing battle and are scrambling to advance their technology hundreds of years ahead in a very short period of time. It then makes sense to keep such technology from the common person for reasons of national security which would allow some wise and benevolent group to guide us safely into a new age of enlightenment... yeah right like that's gonna happen.
Your last point is the most meaningful... I wonder how they interpreted "I love Lucy" or "The Three Stooges".
How is it that innocense can be intepreted as stupidity?

K
Emrad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, Klatu. Good to hear from you.

Well, I might have written some of the above with a bit of haste. Lots of radio operations and experiments are going on constantly around the globe besides broadcasting. Although most are not very powerful compared with something like a broadcast TV transmitter, one must allow for the possibility that the "others" are listening with better "ears" than we have. One recent development that might be drawing interest (assuming for the sake of discussion that there is an "audience" out there) is the transition of our TV transmissions to digital format. Another example might be where radio amateurs recently succeeded in bouncing a radio signal off of the planet Venus. Then there is the HAARP research going on in Alaska. I'd like to think the "others" would enjoy some of our entertainment, perhaps not so much our commercials, but, you never know (I admit I also neglected to consider the Thermians. [Sorry, Mathesar]).

As for interpreting innocence as stupidity... I'm not sure, but as a radio amateur and an avid TV watcher/radio listener, I think I can safely say I've witnessed both. Then again, on the other side of the same token I think there are many, many examples in our communications that inspire hope.

I don't know if I'm convinced the "others" have made contact with anyone in authority, as it were. I mean, it's certainly possible. I would tend to think that contacting government or military representatives of any earth nation, especially one as militarily powerful as the US would be among the most dangerous activities they could engage in, not for them, but for us... for human kind. I would be concerned about setting events in motion that could lead to a major war or other unrest, and not just from fear or paranoia. Imagine millions of people giving up on their societies because of some false hope or expectation that the newcomers are going to fix everything for us. Imagine how it could come to pass that some group of people would inevitably come to the conclusion, for one justification or other, that the "others" were giving some group of people preferential treatment over them. I seriously doubt human kind is ready for that kind of contact, and not so much because we're stupid, rather, so incredibly innocent.

My opinion is that if they're contacting anyone it's more likely individuals whom they select. I could be completely wrong but I suspect that human distinctions between the average citizen and various levels of governmental authority or rank may be of little interest to them. After all, what is our government made of? People, and it would seem to this humble writer that it is people they're interested in, not the hierarchical structures we spend so much of our time focused on. There is also the possibility that if the "others" really exist, that ultimately it will mean re-evaluating our place as subjects of some galactic government.

Maybe it went down like this: The "others" arrive; contact the leaders of certain governments of earth with a proposal: "You let us embark on a tag and release study where we capture, study and release, select members of your citizenry", they say, "and in return we'll give ya some cool science and some really nice toys. As a token of our good faith, we will deliver to you a down payment. We will set it down outside of Roswell New Mexico on July 8th, 1947. There's just one catch: you can never reveal anything about this "arrangement" to anyone, ever".

...It could be...

Emrad
Klatu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrad, Chiyeko

You have no doubt seen the footage from one or more of our SST missions showing the actice denial systems employed in low earth orbit. When coupled to the many eye witness accounts of airline pilots seeing 'other' traffic that is easily recognized by them as 'not current techology' vehicles then the possibilities are greater than zero that the others are here.
They are not only here they are going about their business (whatever that actually is) with ease. It appears they have some sense of humor by allowing the many helicopters and jets to chase them when they make a stationary appearance. We had one recently in Palm Coast, a stationary object in daylight just hanging out perhaps waiting for the expected helo to chase it away... which it did.
I have noticed that 'their' flight tactics have changed recently. More and more photos are capturing objects that weren't observed when the photo was taken yet appear very clearly using a shutter speed of greater than 1/1000th of a second.
The TV refresh rate is 25-30 frames per second and because we have 'persistance of vision' we see the smear of frames as smooth motion. It is this persistance of vision that 'they' seem to be using to remain as cloaked as possible from those pesky humans.
If there were no contact whatsoever 'we' would have no reason for a 'star wars' type defense system(rail gun) in space.
To think that we are all alone in the universe just because we don't detect 'others' using radio waves is some form of insanity that has yet to be labeled. I tend to agree with your last conclusion as it fits the historical pattern.
If I were on the board of directors of the universe (BODOU) and I was benevolent, I would quickly collect human and animal DNA to preserve. The signs that we are on a self destructive path are obvious.
If I were malevolent, I would use the 'hail mary' play and alter the DNA structure to reduce the brain size to produce a more controlable species for whatever end.
I want to think that the more advanced race is closer to the creator but I may be wrong in assuming this. Every ten or eleven thousand years I make a mistake... just kidding.

If we could alter our reality by our technology what do you think we would do at this point in our evolution?

K
Emrad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Space... Reply with quote

Greetings!

I read a little about Active Denial Systems online and I've seen footage of one being demonstrated. I think they're just over 90 GHz. There are several ham bands up in the hundreds of gigahertz but we would only use them for communications purposes, to be sure. Using radio waves as a weapon goes against just about everything I've been taught and have come to believe in. I almost ADSed myself by accident one time with a hand held transceiver on VHF. I was mobile, trying to contact a friend on a local repeater, only I was in a bad location, so I turned up the power to 5 Watts (that's like an order of magnitude over what your average cell phone would put out on its highest power). As I was talking with my friend, I noticed that the side of my face felt like it was warming up, kinda like a heat lamp. When I stopped transmitting, it was like someone turned the heat lamp off. In my haste to make my contact I got the antenna a little too close to my face. RF safety is a big issue with us hams and deliberately bombarding someone with high power millimeter waves to induce harm or even discomfort, to me, is kinda like sacrilege.
As I said in my last post, I doubt the "others" would have made contact with our "leaders" on some official level. It's possible, but I think it unlikely. Putting myself in the "others" shoes (if they even wear shoes), contacting government representatives would be too risky, too many people would know even if it was ordered a secret. I'm forced to conclude that if such a contact was made it must all be a part of their experiment.

I don't know so much about their flight tactics (who does). A friend of mine actually witnessed what looked like stars one night. He said they would zip across the sky, then come to an abrupt stop (without decelerating) only to zip off in some other direction (something that would pulverize a human pilot).

Video cameras have a 30 second frame rate, yes, but the exposure time on each one of those frames (on the good expensive cameras) can be adjusted. So you can generate video at 30 FPS but each frame was captured at, say, 1-1000th of a second. The only limiting factor is that you can't run a shutter speed slower than 1-30th of a second because that's the frame rate. To give you an example: I've seen at least a couple documentaries about bees. On one program the camera was obviously set at a very high shutter speed and the flying bees were rendered in almost perfect clarity, but they were only on the screen for one 30th of a second. I saw another program where the camera was using a slower shutter speed, where the bees all became thousands of "rods". My personal preference is to have a little motion blur in there. It adds to the appearance of natural vision.

Persistence of vision is often thrown out there as an absolute. But it only works best under certain conditions and in some cases can break down. There is a reason why movie houses only show movies at a certain brightness... take the brightness above a certain threshold and persistence of vision starts to break down and you can see the frames flicker. Also, persistence of vision is not the same over every part of the retina. The fovea or central part of the retina is where it works best. You look at a CRT television from across a brightly lit room, and then look at it out of the "corner" of your eye and you'll see the TV flickering like mad. And I would guess that there are variations in those thresholds from one person to another as well. So if it takes a really fast shutter speed to capture a UFO then on a video shot with a 1-1000th shutter speed the UFO would appear on one frame, clear as a bell, but if you blink you'd miss it.

When it comes to evolution, I was taught that a simpler organism does not mean that it is less advanced. Nature conserves. An organism is built the way it needs to be in order to fill its particular niche. It is my humble belief that we are all part of the creator... that the creator is actively involved with every part of creation.

"If we could alter our reality by our technology what do you think we would do at this point in our evolution?"

This last question is perhaps the most intriguing. I think our technology has been influencing the course of our development since we first started using stone tools. Has this altered course been under our volitional control (overall)? I don't think so. All the issues we're dealing with today, overpopulation, pollution, dwindling energy reserves... all are a direct result of it. If our species is to survive, at some point it is going to have to come under control. It is my belief that humans represent more than one form of life. Just like our physical ancestors crawled onto land (probably in an effort to stay in the water) to find other pools, but eventually led to the transition to land. So, too, our ideas and thoughts might be struggling even now to gain a foothold on some new arena. First stone tablets, then scribes writing books by hand, then the printing press came along and books flooded the world. Then the telegraph, then the telephone and radio and television, then satellite communications. Now we have the internet, more human ideas and thoughts flowing all over the world in ever greater numbers and at ever greater speeds with each passing week... I ask you: What new form of life might be struggling to crawl forth from the seas of our gray matter?

Best wishes!

Emrad
Klatu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrad,

Sorry to hear about the accidental face burn. Is that how you got your handle (Emrad) 'electro-magnetic radiation'? Was it the HAM-sters that invented the pointed foil hat?

Re:ET contact:
If the 'others' wanted to make contact I think they would monitor who had the best 'toys' on the planet first, then drop in just to let us know what the real meaning of toys really is. In this case I think it would be the military. At which point the generals and staff would experience 'toy envy' and make every future effort to shot one down.. for delevopment purposes.

Re: UFO flight characteristics:
What your friend observed was exactly what I was talking about. It appears that 'they' have the ability to generate and project a gavity wave in the desired direction of travel which would negate inertial effects. How it would work is beyond me.

Re: Avtive deniel systems:
I was referring to one of the SST missions that filmed a 'ufo' changing coarse as it was shot at with a supposed obiting rail gun.

Re: Altering our reality with technology
I agree with your statements entirely however, if you had a 'special' HAM radio with a directionalized output and could flip the quarks of any atom which would atomically change that element into any desired other element, how would it change your life, world, concept of reality?

K
Emrad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Space... Reply with quote

Oh, I think I saw that footage. Isn't that the one the "experts" have claimed is ice or other debris getting pushed by gas from the shuttle's reaction control jets? Interesting video. I saw something one time that left me a believer. Who they are, what they are, where they come from & how they get here I can only guess. But I'm convinced something is going on.

I think they should take rail gun tech and use it to launch space ships. I envision building a huge artificial mountain, the summit of which would rise above the atmosphere, at least above the tropopause boundary. This mountain would have one long slope, a ramp, for launching ships electromagnetically. A more productive use of Lorentz force in my opinion. ...Only thing, the people running the earth movers and concrete mixers would have to hold their breath for a long time up there.

Getting a solid foothold in space, I believe, must include a transition away from chemical rocket propulsion, with gravitational propulsion (if propulsion is even the right word for such a thing) being the prize. Then we'll truly be able to begin a search for other life and civilizations, not to mention new ways of getting ourselves into trouble!

That sounds like one heck of a radio! It'd be interesting to learn how it worked, however, it might be ever so slightly out of my frequency privileges... over maximum allowed power levels as well. Even if it were legal, I don't think I'd have the courage to fire it up.

Best wishes!

Emrad
Klatu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrad,

Suggested reading:
http://www.rexresearch.com/ev/ev.htm
http://www.svn.net/krscfs/
http://www.hutchisoneffect.ca/Research.html

Re: Ken Shoulders
His EV's demonstrate metal transmutation on the micro scale without the ability to select the outcome, but demonstrates the principle. He also has applied EVO's to propulsion.

Re:John Hutchison
What can I say... eccentric is an absolute term and accurately describes all those who don't think like the rest.
His results speak for themself.

K
SLB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Space... Reply with quote

Emrad wrote:

I think they should take rail gun tech and use it to launch space ships. I envision building a huge artificial mountain, the summit of which would rise above the atmosphere, at least above the tropopause boundary. This mountain would have one long slope, a ramp, for launching ships electromagnetically. A more productive use of Lorentz force in my opinion. ...Only thing, the people running the earth movers and concrete mixers would have to hold their breath for a long time up there.

Here's what I think would be fun to see. I think we should have a space craft of some sort orbiting some big planet and earth in a stretched loop and whenever we want to launch something, as the space craft passes Earth it just grabs whatever it is (like Hermione grabbed Harry by the shirt [amazingly strong fabric!] when she was whipping around on the Whomping Willow branch) and then the space craft just releases the thingee on some ideal trajectory. Then we don't need a mountain, just a really big brass ring! Cool, or what!?

SLB
Emrad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Space... Reply with quote

SLB, I think there must have been some kind of magic spell going on with that shirt! If that ring thing could be accomplished with force fields, somehow...

H. G. Wells had a really neat concept going with the story First Men In The Moon, where the professor designs a spaceship with retractable shields which he then coats with a special substance, Cavorite, which blocks the force of gravity. It's a really cool idea, implausible, but a really cool idea. There's a lot of gravity in the universe, coming from all directions, if a ship could somehow be made to respond to gravity coming from one direction... off she'd go.

Best wishes,
Emrad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: