TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Space...the final frontier.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Harvey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Space...the final frontier. Reply with quote

Cool Hi Tim and Everyone.

Here is a question for all: How long before we begin to populate space on a regular basis? Space stations, colonies on planets-moons, etc.

Yeah...I know...need reliable transport first and technology to get us there. Just ballpark guesses would be fine.

Thanks-Rob Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hotrod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll live long enough to see it happen, Rob man Wink
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
i think the technology is getting better and better...
Look at the ISS or remember the Space Station MIR.
If you look back at the Computer technology you will see that in the last years a lot happened.
I dont know how long it takes to life on the Moon but i think everything is possible.
Greetings
Christian
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have the technology now to live on the space station or a nearby planet as long as we can keep shipping supplies, mainly oxygen. Understanding and creating a biodome that will work for an extended period of time is probably the biggest challenge at this point.
barbara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they keep having problems with the space shuttle, I don't see it happening for a long time.... Sad But wouldn't be nice to go back to the moon--many of you here, weren't even alive for that....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rob Harvey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: The Moon....it's the power of cheese! Reply with quote

Cool Hi Everyone.

Ah......the moon. Yes the memories are flooding in. I was only 2.5 years old in July of '69.

I read a short story in Readers Digest about Neil Armstrong. It seems Mr. Armstrong was about to embark on his historic walk on the moon when he spoke under his breath, good luck Mr. Smith. When he returned to earth nothing was said until 20-30 yrs. later when he was asked by a NASA person why he had said that and he blushed and said that when he was a kid he heard his neighbors arguing and the woman said that the husband would get oral sex when the kid next door walked on the moon. Laughing Laughing Laughing

It would be nice to go back.........hopefully soon.

Gotta go

Rob Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
barbara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was the same age as you, plus 10, and one of the funniest things I remember, was that we went to my grandparents to watch it with them , because they had a color TV...well..Guess what? It was in black & white....but I remember how cool it was to be watching it. And when John Glenn went back in space I was lucky enough to be living in Florida at the time, I was on my way to work, when I could see the shuttle, so I pulled over and watched it from the highway with many others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 45 so I remember. I think it's one of my most vivid childhood memories. Standing outside at night and looking up at the moon and knowing that there was really a man in the moon or at least for a short time a man on the moon. It's strange to think about how my daughter, so many people, haven't experienced that in their lifetime.
I remember our newspaper had a ticket for a space flight. Kept that thing for years. I'm not sure what ever happened to it.
Sorry Rob, we seem to have strayed from your question. So sort of back on track. We seem to have had this incredible technology that hasn't really progressed very far. I have a book on flight written in the 80's that went into the space shuttle. We haven't gone as far in the past twenty years as we did in the twenty before that. I think we easliy could have for traveling into space, it just hasn't worked out that way. Maybe we should have some movie techies focus their skills on actual space travel. (and some producers their money)
Hotrod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the technology is getting better and better, but governments are cutting deeper and deeper in the space program budgets (Best example: Space shuttle Columbia). So I think it'll never (read: first 100 years) happen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: biodome Reply with quote

Bucky Fuller designed these perfect places, and some have experimented with them in detail. In Snowmass Colorado, the Windstar Foundation (J. Denver) had two domes for many years, which were quite productive. These are magical spheres, yet not many people grasp their usefulness in terms of feeding the world. There are, of course, flaws to be corrected, but they are environmentally incredible. Our dome is still in place after 15 years, and has fish, can grow vegetables, etc, year round. People always ask about it, but there is no mass production; the mathematics of building on are beyond most of us. (My husband is a mathematician). I firmly believe biodomes offer an alternative, especially because they require very little space. One could be placed in a vacant lot in a New York neighborhood...
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the biodome info. That was fascinating. On the ones you're familiar with, how is the balancing of gases coming. (okay guys, I hear the jokes already....I mean oxygen to nitrogen, etc)
Rob Harvey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Gases? BRRRPPPPPP! OHHHH-Yeah! Reply with quote

Cool "Sorry Everyone I had that bean burrito for lunch."-TA outtakes from Toy Story 2.

Sorry Christmas-You said you new it was coming!

Later-Rob Cool
Klatu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: How long, is not a chinese man's name! Reply with quote

Rob,

If we manage to curtail our lust for war.
If we manage to not spend beyond our means.
If we manage our natural resources wisely.
If we manage to keep our population within limits.
If we manage our drinkable water supplies.
If we manage to regulate the manufacturing of poisonous chemicals.
If we manage to control pollution producing machines.
If we manage to get off of the use of fossil fuels.
If we manage the politians better than they manage us.
If we manage not to unset the natural order of the planet that gives us life.

If we can manage the new technology that will bring all this about without creating a new set of problems to deal with, the people of earth will populate space routinely 20 years from now.

If not, we won't be here to discuss the outcome of this question.

K
rogerchri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may never get there, at the rate Bush is giving money back to the rich and spending money on the miltary and Iraq there will be none left for any research projects. We have to accept the fact that one of the other counties with vision will be there a head of us.
No, I am not sure Bush is wrong, I just feel/think the future looks bad. The grandkids will not have a good lot because of what we are doing now.
barbara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We may never get there, at the rate Bush is giving money back to the rich and spending money on the miltary and Iraq there will be none left for any research projects

I also don't see it happening anything soon---more money going to miltary, and spending cuts in the space program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: