FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

If I could change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillip j why

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: If I could change Reply with quote

I think about changing the past every day.
Not on any universe altering crusade which culminates in the assasination of past political leaders, but simple things.
Tweaks here and there.

Taking the missed chance.
Placing the correct bet.
Impressing people.

I often imagine being placed in my younger self with the knowlege I have currently.

Would I create a better existance for myself?
Is it possible or do our actions not matter?
Who are we destined to be?
Do our actions really change anything because I have been trying real hard through life yet I feel stuck.
Cemented to the path I have always been on.

I understand it to be impossible though it is fun to imagine.
This escapism gets me through the longer hours in my days.

The most common for me is going back and singing songs no one has written yet.
I find it testiment to my nature that I should look at someones genius and steal it for myself before they have created it.
Like singing my favorite songs before the artist even composed them.
I gravitate towards stealing other people's creativity because I know where my creativity leads
Right here.
I have no genius of my own.

Is the past easier to focus on than the future?

What would you change?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...I tend to not look back too much since I can't change the past. Some of my poor decisions resulted in unpleasant consequences but those consequences also shaped me and made me stronger. They also brought me to where I am today. To answer your question, I guess I would change the poor decisions I made that I would probably have done differently if my Dad didn't die when I was just fifteen. But I like to focus on the present because I can do something about it.

I really like Philippians 3:14, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." This is a GREAT verse but just as important is the verse that precedes it: "Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead," Notice Paul says "Forgetting what is behind." This is so important! This tells us that like Paul, we need to forget what is behind. Our past does NOT dictate our future! So yes, we can think about the past and wonder "what if" but for me personally I view that as an exercise in frustration. I would rather focus on right now and what can I do to show love to those around me...

You do have a good premise for a time-travel sci-fi novel though Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: