TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

On The Subject Of Those Self Driving Vehicles...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Testosterone Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emrad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: On The Subject Of Those Self Driving Vehicles... Reply with quote

I spotted another article today about those self driving cars. You know, it's unfortunate someone's life ended because of that gadget.

Folks who maintain that one day all vehicles will be fully autonomous may be correct.
Personally I remain unconvinced they are ready for the road at the present time.

I won't trust them... not until they can successfully quantize the equivalent of an entire human life's experience of "seeing", and not just road-related stuff, either. I'm talking about all seeing, objectively. I want a self driving car to be able to see that small object lying in the lane up ahead and recognize whether it's a diamond back rattlesnake, an Atlanta Hawks Baseball cap, a piece of rope or a stick and actually know what these things are.

Not just intelligence mimicry that responds only to a finite set of pre-programmed criteria. That takes a mind, one that can decide it can safely run over the cap, consider possible damage to the car from the stick, and avoid the snake out of genuine considered respect for something alive... ya know? Something that can look up at the sky and note changing weather conditions and consider possible changes to driving conditions. Take responsibility and be able to produce a license, registration and insurance documents for the constabulary if pulled over... even enjoy the Oleander blossoms along the median!

I realize demanding that level of awareness is a rather lofty expectation ... but that's exactly what I would expect from any human driver!

Today's self driving cars don't really think and they certainly don't appreciate... they just crunch numbers and throw switches. Glorified cruise control at best.

Here's wishing you all are having a great 4th!

Emrad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Testosterone Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: