FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

lonely, bullied youth- so sad, yet treatable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Lighting the Light! A positive Approach to the World
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: lonely, bullied youth- so sad, yet treatable Reply with quote

Hello Tim and everyone:
I am hoping for your possible interest in this information. Please feel free to forward this information to contacts whom you feel may be interested. I want to provide free KID'S CLUB units to the staff at St. Jude's Research Hospital for Children for the young patients' use. However, I do not have the financial means to do it. I am searching for help for this project- I am still working on it alone, fifteen years after starting KID'S CL

KID’S CLUB units can be kept in psychologists’, psychiatrists’ and school counselors’ offices. They can be taken home, used and returned to the professionals’ offices. This concept is attractive if you consider the alternatives now available to divert stress and make new friends in a wholesome, safe way for lonely, bullied youth. The fun, challenges and self esteem elevating attributes of these units are also attractive. If this concept saves one youngster from suicide- it would be considered valuable.
A small, very thin teen dropped by the youth center. He seemed shy and did not appear to have any friends at the center. He was attracted to my amateur radio station and morse practice station. He was fascinated and did not want to leave when his mother came to take him home. He enthusiastically took the amateur radio comic books I gave him.
This is a true story about a thirteen year old boy named “Joseph”. Joseph’s mother-Pat inquired about my interest in helping Joseph study for his amateur radio license. Pat told me that Joseph needed a goal to achieve that would require that he read and study. His reading skills were rather poor and he was struggling with spelling as well. I was also told that Joseph’s speech was poor because he tended to “mumble” and “chew” his words.
Well, amateur radio came to the rescue. Joseph was so intrigued by the “Now you’re talking” textbook that he could hardly put it down. If he ran across words he was not familiar with, he would ask his parents about them and go from there. His reading skills shot through the roof because he was reading something that he was genuinely interested in. Once I got Joseph started on two meters and he became familiar with the repeaters in the area, he started ”talking up a storm”. (written reference narrative available).

What should be done is provide a school of education ( or school of psychology) university research faculty member(s) to sponsor the KID’S CLUB units for testing analysis in the public school system to provide evidentiary experience.
Would someone out there be willing to work to solicit this sponsor-it would be a good thesis topic for an advanced degree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Lighting the Light! A positive Approach to the World All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: