TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

ALASKA Reality T.V. Shows...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: ALASKA Reality T.V. Shows... Reply with quote

Every time I turn the t.v. on and surf the channels I come across a handful of reality t.v. shows on my lovely state of Alaska.

WHY IS ALASKA SO POPULAR WITH THE PEOPLE OF THE LOWER 48? (That's what we call you guys down in the states.)

The newest reality show is called, "Alaskan women, looking for love."
I of course watched a few episodes and laughed at these women of Alaska. The women in the reality show claim that they need to go to Florida to look for hot guys because where they are from, Kodiak Island, there are not many hot single guys to date.
So, I decided I need to make a counter reality show called, "handsome and beautiful men and women of Kodiak, Alaska."
This also, by the way, gives me a good excuse to take a trip south to Kodiak Island. Very Happy I know for a fact there are many hot guys and beautiful women in Kodiak, haha!

Another show that came up to Alaska kind of missed the mark too..."Guy Fieri's diners. drive-ins and dives." He went to some really bad restaurants that are really NOT very good, and didn't go to some of the REALLY good restaurants.

Some of my favorite reality shows that DO hit the mark are, "Alaska State Troopers." The police force in Alaska IS really that awesome. The cameras capture their job perfectly and tells a good story about the hardships Alaska has to offer the brave Troopers.

"Bering Sea Gold" is also cool to watch because it is shot in Nome, I have a lot of family from there. Those guys are crazy to go into the Bering Sea and dredge for gold! That water is COLD! Then they top that by dredging in the winter under the ice! They've got cajones!

"Gold Rush" is also one of my favorites as again, it is shot in a place where I have more family. I get very happy when I watch clips of John Schnabel, Parkers grandpa. John Schnabel was very good friends with my grandparents that have both since passed away. Porcupine Creek Mine is next to Haines, Alaska which is a very small town, in a VERY beautiful area of Alaska, where everybody knows everybody.

What are some of your favorite shows or least favorite on the numerous Alaskan Reality T.V. shows?
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly forgot another favorite...."Deadliest Catch."
The folks on the fishing and crabbing vessels are very brave and a little bit crazy mixed all into one. Their job from the Captain to the lowest deck hand risk their lives everyday while out at sea.
I admire the production crew, especially the camera crew. They're out on the deck risking their lives too, just to get the shot, knowing at any moment a rogue wave could sweep them over board.
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....And another favorite that I forgot about, "Ice Road Truckers."
Parts of this show shoots out of my hometown of Fairbanks. I got to watch the crew film the last season as one of my sales accounts is at Carlile, one of many trucking companies that goes up the Haul road to Prudhoe Bay. I enjoyed watching the crew work in the cold weather that we experience up here and watching how they adapted their cameras to the cold weather.
You could always spot the production team because they drove suburban vehicles and always had 1 or 2 gas jugs strapped to the top of the suburban roof top.
My job brought me to Carlile every Friday, and I always tried to avoid getting into the camera shot when they were filming, but I failed one time and crossed behind the talent during an interview.
Carlile is no longer a part of the show, but I'm sure many more reality shows will be filming other unique topics in the great state of Alaska.

By the way, I really can see Russia from my back yard...haha!
That would make a great little short documentary... "I can see Russia from my back yard." I would then have a great excuse to go to Little Diomede Island, where you really can see Russia. I've always wanted to go there.
Emrad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into watching Ice Road Truckers for a bit.
What caught my eye was the unique camera shots they would get, like from underwater... looking back up through the ice at the trucks passing overhead... wonder how they got their cameras down there & if the cold ever ruind any...

Emrad
artist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: The Reality of Entertainment Reply with quote

So women in Alaska think Florida is the place to find a hot guy..... wow, finally having some good luck coz that's the state I've landed back in.

Thanks for that post, Emrad; I'm actually working on yet another youtube reality show; don't expect it to make tv but at least I'll have some laughs with it.

I can see Russia from my backyard.... that is clever.

I can see yeti's in my backyard: science proves the reality of yetis once again:

http://now.msn.com/bryan-sykes-oxford-scientist-does-dna-tests-on-hair-believed-to-come-from-yeti?ocid=ansnow11+

Anyway... I don't watch reality shows... I just want to work on one; Lol!
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned that the production crews on these reality shows go through a lot cameras. Deadliest Catch ruined a lot of cameras due to the sea water. They learned fast to shoot video on deck with the cameras in large zip lock bags.
Ice Road Truckers get those cool under water shots with the second unit production team. They put under water cameras in staged shots with a semi driving over the "money shot" of the semi driving over the clear ice. Most of the cameras have a problem with the intense cold. The batteries die quicker and the camera screens freeze up. The camera guys adapt by putting hand warmer packets on the screen.
Ice roads are popular all over Alaska. We have a few in Fairbanks. Every year a truck or car go through the ice as spring gets closer and the ice thins.
Dedicated Canadian Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had several people say my life is a TV show.
I admit its a handful..but entertaining? doubt it but thats what they said about Duck Dynasty, Jase said many times...it will never ever work and they are the highest watched show i TV history. I myself love it because of the christian values.
A show on my family?//hmmm. My wife is bi polar and juggles a 40 hr week and works her butt off. For anyone bi polar knowing irregular sleeping patterns are one way of having it tough for them. My son has EDS, ADHD, IBS. I have Suicide Headaches, IBS and exzema.
A show worth watching? No way. Is our lives tough to juggle. Yup.
Stanger things have happened. I don't think I want a reality show about me. Awarness made public absolutely. Documentary.Sure. My wife followed. NO.
You watch, give it a couple years...Reality TV will hit Canada.
No need to go to Florida to find hot men...we are right here...lol
Canada has lots to offer..Ask Tim, he has his grandma who lived here in town.

Shows I like are about real people.
I think its why i realte so much to HI and LMS.
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about Canada. When Alaska stops being the popular topic the production crews will head east to Canada. They already shoot Ice Road Truckers in Canada too. I think in the North West Territories.
artist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Real Reality Reply with quote

Dedicated Canadian Fan wrote:
I have had several people say my life is a TV show.
I admit its a handful..but entertaining? doubt it but thats what they said about Duck Dynasty, Jase said many times...it will never ever work and they are the highest watched show i TV history. I myself love it because of the christian values.
A show on my family?//hmmm. My wife is bi polar and juggles a 40 hr week and works her butt off. For anyone bi polar knowing irregular sleeping patterns are one way of having it tough for them. My son has EDS, ADHD, IBS. I have Suicide Headaches, IBS and exzema.
A show worth watching? No way. Is our lives tough to juggle. Yup.
Stanger things have happened. I don't think I want a reality show about me. Awarness made public absolutely. Documentary.Sure. My wife followed. NO.
You watch, give it a couple years...Reality TV will hit Canada.
No need to go to Florida to find hot men...we are right here...lol
Canada has lots to offer..Ask Tim, he has his grandma who lived here in town.

Shows I like are about real people.
I think its why i realte so much to HI and LMS.

The tv shows I watch are all the opposite; escape from reality with "Once Upon A Time" for example.

Since I struggle w/depression I like to hang around people who make me laugh. I always try to look for humor in a tough situation. I've had a particularly bad year & if I'm not careful my youtube videos may turn into the reality show of me living in a car...... again! Nothing funny about that.... except for my attitude & the way I deal with hardships.

Anyway, reality shows..... still rather work on one than watch one.......
Dedicated Canadian Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to surround myself with happy people and happy thoughts. I have an extremly small handful of friends.
I hope you get better Artist...im dealing with PTSD from being awake during brain surgery.
As well as having an invisible disease...it sucks most days but I try to live and look outside the box most of the time.
Stay strong
artist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: The Reality of Survival Reply with quote

Dedicated Canadian Fan wrote:
I try to surround myself with happy people and happy thoughts. I have an extremly small handful of friends.
I hope you get better Artist...im dealing with PTSD from being awake during brain surgery.
As well as having an invisible disease...it sucks most days but I try to live and look outside the box most of the time.
Stay strong

Given a choice, I'd rather be worried about living in a car than have to deal with PTSD over being awake during brain surgery......you win when it comes to stress.

Btw, in my small circle of friends/family, doesn't it figure, two of them are also bi-polar, so I sympathize; mood swings/anger is very hard to endure; one of them was only recently very destructive with some of my personal things.

At any rate.... given my kooky sense of humor, a reality show about a single woman living in a car, trying to find a job, trying to have a few laughs at theme parks.... yo, ho, yo, ho, a gypsy life for meeeeeee..... looking for love in all the wrong places.... I dunno, I think most people just don't understand my humor; LOL.

And thanks, DCF, for your kind comment.... I hope things get better too.
Dedicated Canadian Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was watching Ice Road Truckers last night...thinking of this conversation...lol inside.
I said to my wife...being Canadian and having lived though some very frigid and cold winter days. You couldnt pay me a million dollars to drive 40 tons on an ince lake. Shoot. I wont even walk on one let alone fish on one. I have a phobia of water. Frozen or anywhere I can not see my feet in it.
Not a chance Id do that job....noooo waaay hosee.
Those people are nuckin futs !!!!

I was born in the wrong country...Id live in LA in a heartbeat. 2nd choice Anywhere in Florida. 3rd choice. Georgia.
Id live in 4 seasons of summer.
just saying
artist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Ice, Ice Baby Reply with quote

Always enjoy how a posted subject turns into a completely different topic on this site. The only frozen thing I'm interested in watching is the new Disney's Frozen movie when it comes out..... will there be a yeti in it, I wonder?

So, DCF, why is Florida high on your wish list? Just because of the weather? The humid summers are not great, just f.y.i. And... I'm only here because of the theme parks..... and a poodle... long story, I'll skip, lol.

Anyway.... just saying.......and the reality of what I sometimes wonder is what on earth is Tim going to do with all this chat stuff on his site????
Dedicated Canadian Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Florida not only because its beautiful but I love heat. I dont usually sweat and even in the 90s I never complain about it being to hot.
I have travelled all over Florida and yet to see a place I wouldnt live. I am not fond of Key West but last time was in Cape Coral. Ft Launderdale is my fav.
Emrad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, DCF, artist, KatieSandstrom…

DCF, wanna trade? Very Happy

I spent some time back in the Midwest years ago. I loved the winters back there. I used to go for long walks out in the snow late at night – there was just something peaceful about it (although the neighbors all probably thought I was nuts).
Besides that, Christmas just seemed more… Christmasy with snow on the ground and icicles hanging from the eaves.

The summers back there had their merits too, I guess. But I start sweating at about 75˚ f. I’m definitely more comfortable in the cold.
Bottom line, it’s nice to have a change of seasons, some variety.

DCF, speaking of fishing, some of them lakes back in the Midwest had some of the best fishing I’ve ever experienced. I remember playing large mouth bass, they’d hit the spinner lure and fight like nothing I ever caught out here in California, leaping out of the water… fun fun, and good eatin’ too!

(sigh) lots of good memories.

Here in the southwest they’re predicting most days next week, I think, to get up in the 80s… I don’t know, for the month of November that just seems all wrong.

I don’t know about Canada, or Alaska… maybe too far north, but I’d like to move out of here.

I don’t like the quakes. At least with tornadoes you get some warning. You can see the thunderclouds building up, follow their approach on radar.
But with quakes, and they don’t come all that often but when they do… BOOM! Suddenly your home is shaking & jiggling & shimmying & swaying! You can hear the timbers creaking and nails popping.

There’s always something no matter where you live, I guess.

Artist, I’d kinda like to visit the Disney park out there. I either heard or read somewhere that they still have the “Mighty Microscope” ride. They did away with that one in the Anaheim park years ago… replaced it with Star Tours and I’m not entirely certain it was an equitable trade.

Anyhow, I’m not sure, either, what will become of all our posts here but it sure has been nice of Tim to provide this friendly little water cooler!

Thanks for the good reading and best wishes, one and all!

Emrad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: