TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

nuclear power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Lighting the Light! A positive Approach to the World
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you for nuclear power?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

Feomathar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: nuclear power Reply with quote

Hello neighbors,
There have been many problems with nuclear power. It is a simple way to produce energy, but it destroys our world. I for one would give so much to change things. I am 17 years old and live in Iserlohn. That's in Germany. Here are some protests, but I do not think that will help it. I apologize for my English. I was never the best in them. I often think about how to prevent a greater harm. I always hope I can show my children the later great works from my childhood. They also watch Tool Time and love the Taylors. There are many safe methods to produce energy. Some are dangerous, others harmless. Why do they refuse to switch? It has nothing to lose. If you look at horror - movies looks, you think it was not real, but the atomic radiation and the laws of evolution, maybe even bring out mutants. You do not know what comes out at the end. And in my opinion, we should not even try it out. Or?

Best regards to all
Tim Allen you were always a role model for me. Both private as well as Tim Taylor.

Feomathar
Emrad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to be able to click yes or no to this, but for me it's not that simple.

I believe in nuclear power, but I believe in SAFE nuclear power and I am not convinced that is what we have yet.

Almost all methods of getting energy out of nuclear involve an indirect method through capturing a heat differential. That's true of most atomic "batteries" and certainly of reactors, where they pump in water to be boiled off to turn steam turbines... which could be just as easily run from the heat of something else.

What to do with the waste from reactors is another issue. I watched a documentary program some time back about a guy who came up with a method of using breeder reactors to recycle waste back into more fissionable fuel... I guess the main reason why no one liked his idea was because the process involves making some things bad guys can use to make some rather nasty bombs if they ever got hold of the stuff.

I'd like to see more developments into tapping the nuclear energy and converting it more directly into electricity without the messy process of boiling stuff or heating stuff first... seems like the heat thing has holdovers dating clear back to the days of the industrial revolution.

But in this world of dwindling fossil fuels, and more and more people needing that energy every day, we need nuclear power, desperately. But they need to figure out a way to make it safe.

I'm all for solar power too. Solar voltaic cells are getting cheaper, they're getting better. I see them becoming a large part of our energy future as well.

So, if I absolutely had to vote it would be a no, but only with respect to nuclear power the way it is now. But I think it can be improved.

Emrad
Feomathar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is research for a long time to make nuclear power more. But the money that is invested in the research, you can also save the energy research are clipped. You often hear that solar can not for example be used because they save energy can not. Instead of spending money for the research of some life-threatening, it can be spent on more important things safe or not?

Feomathar
K

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feomather, I wish my German was as good as your english.

Nuclear reactors have never been economically feasible even thought on
paper they look very good. Considering the amount of energy it takes to extract the ore, enrich it, use it, and dispose of it, it's not equal to the energy it outputs.
Photovoltaic panels, even if they were %100 effecient can only be used %50 of the time (during daylight). Battery technology (electrical storage) is still in it's infancy. So even if we had some source of clean energy we can't store it.
There have been some interesting improvements lately. Andrea Rossi has succesfully demonstrated his 1 Mw design and has buyers. This could be the straw that breaks the camels back!
http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Andrea_A._Rossi_Cold_Fusion_Generator
There is also the Ultracap which shows promise for being an excellent storage device but after it was advertised the company went silent.
The powers that be must invest in this new technology or be buried by it. The tactic of active suppression is not able to hold down the inventive spirit that march against them.

K
Emrad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feomather, K, What we need is a Mr. Fusion, like in Back To The Future. Smile

Someone was telling me about a new type of battery under development, but I don't know much about it.
I had heard about the super capacitor too... If I'm not mistaken, the cool thing about super caps would be a really quick charge time.

Emrad
Bermudagirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hardly hear anything about Fukushima on the news anymore. I wonder why. Is the radiation there so high, that no journalist goes there anymore?

Feomathar, did I get that right? You are a father with the early age of 17?
reiska

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always keep an open mind to all energy options. Growing up in NZ in the 80's Nuclear was the devils work. Nuclear power is off the cards, even though Aussie has uranium. But NZ supplies alot of coal used in metal smelters in China.
Oddly there was a study done in Finland where they worked out that if they developed all of the powerstations in operation and proposed ones for the next 5 years to Nuclear power. That the current uranium resources available would be used up in around 25 years.
Phasing them out over time may be an option, but once other suppliers come up with the goods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Lighting the Light! A positive Approach to the World All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: