TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

UK invention - what are the rules in the USA?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paigetheoracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: UK invention - what are the rules in the USA? Reply with quote

I've invented something that makes wearing a rucksack less onerous. In the UK, you are more or less forced to start a business based on it, rather than sell it to some other company to develop.

I have somebody interested in America but as this would be classed as a piece of clothing, would I be more likely to be offered a lump sum or could I get royalties as with books? (If all else fails, I'll try and get investors in Britain and do it myself but I don't have any business experience and not much interest - however I thoroughly believe in the value of the idea, having made a prototype that worked and seeing the potential in the market, so if anybody has got any suggestions - fire away (All help gratefully received).
K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paige,

Begin the journey by doing it yourself. Scrape together whatever you need to make a presentable prototype and use that time to make improvements. Turn them out one at a time until your happy with what you have. This will give you the opportunity to see how much it costs in material and labor/time to settle on what you need for a return.
Hire someone if you need, to draw each piece out in a blue print type sketch, then apply for patent.
Don't let it out of your control for any reason without legally protecting yourself first.
Then have at it and enjoy being in control of your life.

K
paigetheoracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Paige,

Begin the journey by doing it yourself. Scrape together whatever you need to make a presentable prototype and use that time to make improvements. Turn them out one at a time until your happy with what you have. This will give you the opportunity to see how much it costs in material and labor/time to settle on what you need for a return.
Hire someone if you need, to draw each piece out in a blue print type sketch, then apply for patent.
Don't let it out of your control for any reason without legally protecting yourself first.
Then have at it and enjoy being in control of your life.

K

I intend doing this but as for a patent protecting you, sadly this is not the case and never really has been, totally. I've heard of people going through patents and slightly changing a design, to usurp the original inventors idea and as mine isn't a complicated machine, this would be an easy task.

Costing it is what I'll do if I cannot get somebody else to buy the idea of me as I say and going into business with others in the UK (I'd rather do the former and earn royalties than the latter and have to start something up myself because I am nearly sixty, which is a bit late to start a business in my opinion, plus I get migraines from stress - not a very good combination for this kind of situation (Bad enough for daily life)).
K

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paige,

If you have a well built prototype, do a search to find a well funded sporting goods retailer like, Cabals or Colemans, etc. Make an appointment with a marketing executive and demonstrate your invention then explain that you would rather have them patent it as long as you receive royalties for some agreed upon term.
I would suggest visiting a patent attorney to find out what it will cost you to patent it yourself. They will also do the research into similar inventions to define why your invention is novel and in need of a patent.
As a primary protection method you can mail the fully described plans to yourself in a sealed envelope. When you receive i,t stick it in a cash deposit box at the bank. This has the effect of establishing that you invented this device at this point in time and are the oringinator, witnessed by a legal seal.

Don't give up, never surrender!

K
paigetheoracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Paige,

If you have a well built prototype, do a search to find a well funded sporting goods retailer like, Cabals or Colemans, etc. Make an appointment with a marketing executive and demonstrate your invention then explain that you would rather have them patent it as long as you receive royalties for some agreed upon term.
I would suggest visiting a patent attorney to find out what it will cost you to patent it yourself. They will also do the research into similar inventions to define why your invention is novel and in need of a patent.
As a primary protection method you can mail the fully described plans to yourself in a sealed envelope. When you receive i,t stick it in a cash deposit box at the bank. This has the effect of establishing that you invented this device at this point in time and are the oringinator, witnessed by a legal seal.

Don't give up, never surrender!

K

Thanks for that! I have contacted a sports retailer about the idea. As for putting it in the bank - mine no longer has this service on offer (I recently asked them). As for visiting a patent attorney, I'm not sure they have them in England but we may have imported them from the States by now. I'm unemployed with no savings, so my bank wouldn't fund me I'm sure, even for a trip to America from Britain but I might be able to get private help I hope (UK government funded help is almost as bad as the banks in complicated nonsense and only helping you, if you can prove you don't need their help! Insane huh?).

There is a Coleman's in the UK that does sports equipment - do you know if it's the parent company of the one you mentioned? (Cabal certainly isn't a UK affiliate - never heard of it: May Google other sports companies in your country and hope for help). Thanks again for the help you've given me.
K

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paige,

Before you interest anyone in your product, mail the plans to yourself. It must have a government date/time stamp on it and be sealed.

At your service, sir.

K
paigetheoracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Paige,

Before you interest anyone in your product, mail the plans to yourself. It must have a government date/time stamp on it and be sealed.

At your service, sir.

K

Thank you - I'll do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> New Discoveries All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: