TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Tim's indepth "Raw Nerve" interview w/W. Shatner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Who is Tim Allen?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
czmonfreda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Tim's indepth "Raw Nerve" interview w/W. Shatner Reply with quote

Tim discussed his drinking problems as being, in large part, because he couldn't get his brain to "shut off" so he could sleep. The alcohol was the only thing he could find that basically caused him to pass out and sleep.

My boyfriend has this exact problem. Alcohol is the only thing that works, but there are obviously other effects. It's a terrible burden, as I am sure Tim would understand. It's the only thing he's found that will allow him to get sleep. He doesn't want to be hooked on sleeping pills or any drugs, period.

In the interview, Tim talked about getting help and he had a supportive family. Well, I'm the supportive family but I need a little guidance as to the "getting help" part.

Anyone with any insight into Tim's trek through this hell and how he got through it, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time with that. Someone suggested to me to run the television all night. It helps me to sleep better. Try it and see if it works. It's better than drugs.
czmonfreda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says he's tried that. T.V., radio, music, white noise......he simply can't get his brain to stop thinking about anything and everything.

Thank you for your response though. :)
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then perhaps he should try praying. If all else has failed.
czmonfreda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really trying to find out how Tim Allen dealt with this problem. Does anyone else have any insight into this? Thank you.
Howiregi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the interview with Michael Eisner? Tim talked about that topic in this interview , too.
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he's a night person and doesn't know it. I'd try turning your world upside down. Stay up all night and sleep during the day. Not so hot if you're trying to make movies, but if you want to get some sleep, maybe that would work. Who knows?
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what exactly it was that Tim did to handle his drinking problems.

But my advise would be to try to get some professionel help. To find out what it is that keeps him awake. Alcohol, drugs et cetera are often a substitute for something missing. If your boyfriend could find that out and take care of it, he might find a way to get to sleep again without any substance abuse. Cause alcoholism IS a serious problem that needs to be taken care of. A substance abuse counseling or therapy might help to find a way to solve his problems.
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice! I also recommend that. Usually something is missing or something is bothering someone or something terrible happened to the person the psyche is trying to bury deep inside. It almost happened to me a long time ago with a very bad relationship.
czmonfreda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend and Tim are the same age. He has had this problem for as long as he can remember. It was only when he became an adult with a regular job that it really began to mess with him.

I like Tim Allen and all, he's a funny guy. But the only reason I even posted anything here is that what he described in that interview with Bill Shatner really hit home. I want to know what HE did to stop the drink and get some sleep. I mean, if it was expensive, "Beverly Hills" type rehab centers, then so be it. We'll do that. But, I have a feeling it was much more than that.

And, Ladyhawke, Don't you think he's tried 100 different things to beat this?? And PRAY??? You must be kidding??!!

I'm not looking for advise from a bunch of people. I'll put a post on a medical website for that. I am looking for answers and insight into what TIM ALLEN did to help himself.

More than likely, I will get no where with this. But I had to try. I love this man and would do anything to help him. :)
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: FACE TO FACE WITH TIM ALLEN, AN INTERVIEW PAGE THREE Reply with quote

Here is an excerpt from his interview with Sara Davidson at Reader's Digest:
Comic Relief

Tim Allen has managed to laugh his way through some very hard times.
By Sara Davidson

RD: Do you find that after 50, your priorities begin to change?
Allen: You bet. In these last couple of years I don't sweat the small stuff. I realize that you don't take a U-Haul behind your hearse. I don't know what I've been waiting for to wear my fancy shirts. I save stuff, but why?

RD: You divorced six years ago and have a new woman in your life, Jane Hajduk. How did the two of you meet?
Allen: She was my personal trainer for a couple of movies, and we kind of connected.

RD: What do you think makes the relationship work?
Allen: It's simple stuff. I have never been with a woman who is a bigger football fan than I am. She's quick. She cares about people. She stayed religious even though it's unpopular. I go to her church with her, and I will sit and enjoy it. It has been flawless.

RD: Does she get your jokes?
Allen: Yes. She always tells me, "Isn't it nice someone thinks you're so funny?" And I think she's very funny.

RD: How do you start again, knowing that love wanes and marriage can end?
Allen: I'm a different guy now. Most of my life has changed because I've been eight years in recovery. I haven't had a drink, and that has altered everything for me. It's a constant struggle with a dialogue in my head, but it's a much better way to live for me.

RD: What is the dialogue in your head?
Allen: Well, I'm a self-destructive guy. I'm a negative guy, but I'm a positive guy. I'm a loving guy. I'm a sociopath. That conflict has to be worked out -- facing fears and uncomfortable feelings. I'm getting much better at it.

RD: What has helped you most in life?
Allen: I've had some moments of clarity, as they call them in AA, when I felt a direct, if not purposeful, connection with that which brought me here. Through feeling that connection -- that there's a purpose to this whole thing -- I can say, "It's going to be all right."

RD: Do you have a code of life?
Allen: Leave it just a little bit better than you found it. I'm starting to wipe up sinks, clean up trash. I do my very best to leave every situation I'm in just a little bit better than I found it.
From Reader's Digest - November 2006

http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/face-to-face-with-tim-allen/article30395.html

Maybe this will help you instead.
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.

I'm Not Really Here
by Tim Allen

Synopsis
The book opens with Tim suddenly waking from a strange dream. He's been reading late into the night about today's hot scientific topic - quantum physics - and what he's learned about the nature of reality really disturbs him. Fortunately, he's got plenty of time to mull it over. Tim's wife and daughter are going away on a camping trip, and Tim is left at home with their dog, Spot. At first, he's excited at the opportunity to eat what he wants (bologna and potato chip sandwiches), watch the sci-fi videos he loves, and finish the 1946 Ford he's been restoring so he can deliver it to a car show on Monday. Unfortunately, he can't find the final part: a one-of-a-kind hood ornament. He encounters very strange coincidences, meets people he doesn't know who seem to know too much about him, and wonders if his life is half full or half empty. As he roams from room to room, Tim ponders how we wind up sounding like our parents when we raise our own children ("Don't stir your ice cream into soup!"), men's fascination with pricey gadgets ("Does this drill bit set really cost $89,000?"), and how romantic "chemistry" really works ("It's all based on salt"). He describes his own rise to celebrity and what it's like to buy groceries without wearing a mask. He explores the allure of hot cars, the temptation of fast-food chain prizes which seem to be getting bigger and bigger all the time ("I'll have the happy meal and the Harley, please"), and his obsession with his place in the cosmos. I'm Not Really Here deals, in the Toolman's inimitable way, with some of the urgent questions a man faces at midlife, from "What is real?" to what should he eat for breakfast ("The gummy cinnamon buns or the cereal no one can pronounce? Moose lips. Mouse licks"). This book is a culmination of a five-year journey of self-discovery. It will surprise and challenge, make you wonder and think, and induce laughter on every page.

Publishers Weekly
The Tool Time man ponders the bigger questions in life. (Aug.)

Try this, too. Somewhere there is an answer for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Who is Tim Allen? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: