TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

giving of oneself
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Lighting the Light! A positive Approach to the World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimAllen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: giving of oneself Reply with quote

Can it be so simple as giving of oneself? Not talking, not thinking, but doing. Being of service requires activity. Im concerned any activity outside of preparation and planning is a waste of energy. Thoughts?
joalis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean any talking and thinking (in regards to giving of yourself) outside preparation and planning is a waste of energy? It makes sense in that context. If not, then I'm not sure what you meant.

But yeah... a lot of people seem to talk and talk and talk... I am a member of a website all about doing what we can to change things for the better (in any way). A good percentage of it is only ideas. I wonder how many of those ideas actually go anywhere. If they are concrete (planning, preparation, or actually putting groups together locally) then I think it is worthwhile. If it is yet more of that 'we ought to do this' 'we ought to do that' but without anyone actually doing it, I call it blah blah talk.
Jeanie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: giving of oneself Reply with quote

TimAllen wrote:
Can it be so simple as giving of oneself? Not talking, not thinking, but doing. Being of service requires activity. Im concerned any activity outside of preparation and planning is a waste of energy. Thoughts?

Well, one of the things that God (or, as you say, the Creator) asks of us is to serve others. You yourself do this through your comedy, believe it or not; laughter is healing. Others do this through serving others via their houses of worship, perhaps through counseling others, or serving in various ministries.

For me, it's serving in a prison ministry. Strange as it may sound, I feel closer to God when I'm ministering to inmates through singing and spoken word. We go into the jails and prisons, anywhere from two to six of us, and we provide a worship service for the men or women (depending on the facility). And we are warmly welcomed by the residents, who often do not receive other visitors; so many of them are starving for some sort of spiritual contact.

The Bible says, "That which you do for the least of them, you do unto me." Food for thought.
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question... Do you think the Saint Martin who cut his cloak in two halves to give one half away to a freezing beggar did think about it very long before he acted? Did he need preparation and planning to do so? And was his good deed a waste of time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinmas
debmjm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: giving of oneself Reply with quote

Haven't you ever been emotionally moved, inspired, even lifted by someone else's smile, laugh, touch, words-of-wit or wisdom? Think about how much planning they did to achieve that. Was there a noticeable amount of physical effort or exertion on their part? Would your life have been just as well to have missed that moment, or maybe the hundreds of others like it? It doesn't take a lot of planning, physical energy or intelligent wisdom to cheer someone, to change a bad mood to a good, or maybe even to make someone else feel like their life might just have some worth after all. Touch someone's arm or put your hand on their shoulder the next time you see someone who seems to be hurting or just down. It won't take much effort, but you'll be able to feel them warm under your touch, their posture will straighten just a little, and there will be atleast a slight, though maybe brief, spark in their eye. Big result. Little effort. There are so many ways to give or be of service, and not everything requires effort, activity, or planning. Waste of energy? I don't think so.
artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultimate giving of oneself is to love.. whatever love is.

What the person you love wants to know & hear you say, is that you love them.

In the book of Matthew, the first & great commandment is to love god with all your heart.

You can give your heart, which is the most important part of you, without any motion at all..
mainecoon1995

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: re: Giving one's self Reply with quote

There are times when you have to think and prepare to give of yourself...you want to help a family in need, and you must think of the resources and best way to help them.

Being a "pollyanna" type personality, why is it so hard to give of one's self? Why do you have to think about putting your arms around someone in turmoil or anguish? Why do you have to wonder if you are going to upset the balance in a relationship if you are the first one to say you are sorry?

I really think some of the greatest gifts you give are spur of the moment actions. Pay for the ice cream cone for the person standing behind you. Ask someone stranded on the road if you can call the police for them. Go get that kitten you see running lost. Pray for someone who needs it, and pray for those you don't think do.

God loves us no matter what we do, where we go, how we act. Why can't I do the same without having to figure out what I will get out of helping someone.

We are all humans and we all have the same wants and fears and needs. Just because John Travolta (or whoever) is wealthy and healthy, does he grieve any less for the death of his son than I would? Does his wealth and health make him less vulnerable?

The golden rule is Jesus' answer to the question: Do unto others....

You don't have to plan it.
SLB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Giving of One's Self Reply with quote

I think giving of one's self is a good thing but I think it is important to have the understanding behind it. You know, like Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, there is so much to go through before gaining the understanding that should go with the giving. That takes time and effort. Otherwise, it was something someone important said, or something read in a book, or to make parents proud or something like that. You know, the noisy klanging of a gong.

So, what I mean to say is, the journey, the struggle to understand is very important, too. But, I think everyone already knows that anyway.

SLB
goldie2shoes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Giving of oneself Reply with quote

This brings my mind back to Hurricane Katrina. I was without a home or any material things for that matter. Years of hard work and preparation and planning gone in one swoop. I live in a non flood zone therefore I had no flood insurance. ie: You are on your own.
This catastrophic event left me homeless, jobless (the store gone), all but the clothes on my back gone. Years of pictures of my life were irreplaceable. Without going into depth I experienced not talking, not thinking, but doing. We all had to pick ourselves up by the non existent boot straps and just do. I took (I) out of the picture completely and had to come to terms with the reality of it all. To address the concern it is not a waste of energy to be outside of preparation and planning for often there are times where you simply must just DO. I call it following your heart without questions. Yes, it can be as simple as giving of oneself.
Wink
Ron McLeod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: just a thought Reply with quote

I for one think Im doing a far better cause by just helping someone then moving on without needing a pat on the back.I've tried to teach my kids to help when & how you can because its the right thing to do. It might just come back to you ten folds in the end. Gods given me the health and ability to do for myself and help when I DONT NEED ANY,so hopefully when I do someone's there for me. Even Tim did it through the whole series of H.I. and when he needed it Harry,Al,Benny,Jill,Wilson and everyone else helped him,HAHAHA.
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been giving a little of myself on Friday.... Went for a blood donation. Wink
Ron McLeod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: wish i could Reply with quote

I wish I could do something like giving blood.My family and I lived in Sicily for 3yrs.They say because of that, we cant donate blood.Thats why I try to help with things I can.I have my own health problems so get to see people needing stuff like that alot,you should feel PROUD for that gift you gave.
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it was a tiny little selfish to go there... my son is afraid of his allergy test and I wanted to show him that this kind of stuff isn't soooo bad at all.
But I'll donate again next time the "blood donation mobile" is in the Pampa, cause this nurse gave me only a very tiny bruise and she explained to me why half of my arm is always black after donating blood. My veins are kind of delicate and narrow (that's why it always takes so long)...
Ron McLeod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: not always Reply with quote

I have 2 children,and sometimes you gotta do whatever gets it done.I just wish I could be someone who could possibly be the one to give life to someone else.To me its one of those most un praised humanly things to do.My wife has 9 months till she retires from the U.S.Navy,and has done two tours in Iraq,both times.I would be so greatful for someone that helped her if she needed it,thank GOD she hasn't.
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that you're not allowed to donate? What's wrong about sicily???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Lighting the Light! A positive Approach to the World All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: