TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Experiences with reading books again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Have you read a good book lately?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howiregi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Experiences with reading books again Reply with quote

What are your experiences with reading a book again after some years?

I got two examples:

Pirsigs "Zen..." I read ca. 1978 and then again last year because of the suggestions in Tim Allens books. It was a totally different reading. All those philosophy and the discussions about quality - I understood it much more than at the first time. I might say I liked it at the first time - but I understood (not everything I must admit) it at the second time.

Estes :"Woman who run with the wolves" -read it 1996 and again now. I can feel what this book is about much more than at the first reading.

I think in both cases it is my own age that is important. The books do not change, but I changed because of getting older and more experienced with life and relations.

Regina from Germany
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it everytime I reread a book. There's always "new" things to realize, other points of view to discover etc. and with enough time passing by between the readings I forget stuff and can discover/enjoy them enew.
With my fav books it's kind of like meeting an old friend. I could never give them away.
I agree with you. Age really matters. The reflection changes. My best example still is Anne Franks Diary. I was too young when I read it the first time. Later I understood Annes thoughts and feelings much better and and I got more insight into their situation. That way I could see the importance of the book much clearer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Have you read a good book lately? All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: