TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

What kind of Sci Fi does Tim like?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrod wrote:
the other day a Dutch televisionstation broadcasted "The Bicentennial Man". Now this is cool SF. Would like to have a talking robot who does the householding too...

I love that film! It gives you something to think about with out being too "preachy". I think Robin Williams did a lovely job there.
Hotrod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he did a fabulous job! the face of the robot really looked like the real face of Robin. Sam Neill was good aswell.
mader80

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Wait, you forgot some... Reply with quote

TimAllen wrote:
Ok, if I must disclose preferences or favorites.
Forbidden Planet
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (love that sub)
Day the Earth Stood Still
Dune
Alien
Predator
T2
...to name a few

Now books are quite a long list.

here are but a few..

Stars are my Destination
Dune
Ringworld

In my opinion, you forgot one of the greatest movies of all time:

-2001 - A Space Odyssey

And for books:

-Neuromancer + the other two in the trilogy (and what the heck, also, his OTHER trilogy should be read)
-Brave New World
-Snowcrash

Scott
K.C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait, you forgot some... Reply with quote

My spouse Loves Snowcrash! To this day I think he only married me because I agreed to read and enjoyed it.
TimAllen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrix was a real eye opener and it hit me at a deep mental level. 2001 set a benchmark for confusing but cool. Pitch Black was quiet suprise with one of the best opening crash sequences I have seen. Love Dune.
Luke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best sci-fi film not mentioned yet...Gattaca!

Of course most of my favorite sci-fi films are only secondarily classified as such. Stuff like Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Galaxy Quest, and Men in Black.

2001 is, I feel, visually awesome and interesting, for sure. But without reading the book, one is just at a loss. The book is okay, it explains the things that confound in Kubrick's film.

Alien and Aliens are great, too.
cats567

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: si-fi films Reply with quote

Hello

I loved Ghostbusters will another out of this world actors, BILL MURRY and DAN A. I agree this is not a big si-fi, but the computer stuff was cool. I loved Slimer also. I did not see matrix yet, but from what Tim said, I need to go rent the movie. I have seen some of the alians's movies, man I was on the edge of my seat. How is Men in Black 2 ? Are the special effects cool. I only saw bits and pieces of the film.It looks cool.

Georgina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rob Harvey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Sci-Fi films Reply with quote

Cool Hi all!

Twenty K Leagues under the Sea- very cool for its time frame and for me even now. The squid still is scary! Shocked

What about T1-T2? Pre-post apocalyptic? (say that one five times fast!) Laughing

What about Star Wars? Rolling Eyes It may seem simple and unrealistic, but it broke the ground in alot of people coming forward to like Sci-Fi. Plus it made and is still making $$$$. Everybody loves a hero!

Galaxy Quest- 'nuff said. You the MAN, Tim! Exclamation

And finally, Gene Rodennberrys "Star Trek"- Breaking ground in unknown territory at a time when all people wanted to do was escape what was going on around them.

Later-Rob Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi films Reply with quote

Rob Harvey wrote:
What about Star Wars? Rolling Eyes It may seem simple and unrealistic, but it broke the ground in alot of people coming forward to like Sci-Fi. Plus it made and is still making $$$$. Everybody loves a hero!

Wow, Rob, thanks for reminding me of that. How could I forget the original Star Wars Trilogy? Among my favorites, of course.

And Back To The Future! The first two are excellent.

cats567 wrote:
Hello

I loved Ghostbusters will another out of this world actors, BILL MURRY and DAN A. I agree this is not a big si-fi, but the computer stuff was cool. I loved Slimer also. I did not see matrix yet, but from what Tim said, I need to go rent the movie. I have seen some of the alians's movies, man I was on the edge of my seat. How is Men in Black 2 ? Are the special effects cool. I only saw bits and pieces of the film.It looks cool.

Georgina

Ghostbusters is SO much fun! Cool

As for MIB2, I thought it was a strictly by-the-numbers rehash of the first film. Jones and Smith have good chemistry, but for the most part, it's just a mere shadow of the original, which was a lot of fun. Maybe MIB2 isn't as bad as the reviews said, but it's entirely inferior to the first one. (There are some laughs and it's much of the same.)
goganda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: new idea Reply with quote

Hi!
my favorite sci-fi films are Star Wars, Galaxy Quest, MIB 2.
In MIB 2, I find that ending very surprise. So, there gaves always a bigger door become open by another creature.

And then I thought about a film, who calls the "Tool Wars". Tim would be the nice and Bob Vila the evil guy. What dou you think about this film?

Please don't worry, about my bad english.

goganda Wink
cazy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mader80 wrote:
In my opinion, you forgot one of the greatest movies of all time:

-2001 - A Space Odyssey

That one is really brilliant! The scene, where the ape/man throws the bone into the air wich turns into a spaceship, the Soundtrack. Like Home Improvement it's about man's use of tools!
And if you look to it in 2003 it is still very up to date.
Kubric was a master!
C.
Hotrod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, you mentioned you're a Dune fan.

Did you ever play the computer games Dune? About 2 years ago a new one came out, Dune 3000??

Great games!
lynx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite movies would have to be:
20000 Leagues Under The Sea. I like the idea of getting away from it all and having my own world. maybe then, i'll be able to have a shower without the rest of the family walking in Wink
Metropolis - definately an eye opener considering the time it was made.
Star Trek - although I am not a 'trekkie'

My favoutrite series would be Red Dwarf. Has anyone else seen it? it is a UK show. Very funny.
To a lesser degree, again, Star Trek
and a show called Sliders. I'm not sure what happened to this show, but i did like it. We only got 1 and a half seasons of it here.
Oh, and of course, Stargate. Wasn't that hot on the movie, but the series is fantastic. The new season started here last week. Maybe it is a Richard Dean Anderson thing I have, but I like to think that there are other worlds out there that we could visit one day

I don't read sci-fi books. They don't hold my attention enough. I find them too scatty for my 'logical' thinking.
maddog1331

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringworld was a great book Smile

Dunno if many of you guys are gamers (I see that a few of you are)...kinda seems Halo was a bit of a rip-off of the Ringworld idea...well, just a bit. Still a cool game though Smile

Incidentally, as for sci-fi reflecting the future....if you guys ever run across any old Analog science fiction mags, you will find it interesting how much the items in there (from say, the 60-70s, for example) have ended up reality. I remember an article in one of the mags about a 'Space Shuttle', from the 70s...was cool to see that come to reality.
Guest (jmralls2001)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Tim, have you seen Sliders? It's not a movie, not yet at least, but I think it's one of the best sci-fi shows ever on tv. Course, although I personally thought the 3-5 seasons were good they weren't as good as the first two. I like the original cast and concept. Also, I think Tru Calling is another good one, an underrated one. Eliza Dushku is great on that. I heard there might be a Sliders movie eventually. I think Galaxy Quest is an awesome movie. The Back to the Future movies are cool too. A lot of my favorite sci-fi movies are based on comic books, Batman, Hulk, Superman, X-men, Daredevil, to name a few.

Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: