TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

What kind of Sci Fi does Tim like?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Somebody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: What kind of Sci Fi does Tim like? Reply with quote

Hey Tim,

What kind of sci fi are you into? Old sci fi movies? Books? Star Wars/Lord of the Rings type stuff? Personally, I'm not the biggest sci fi geek, but I do enjoy the typical stuff - Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and my favorite - anything written by Michael Crichton. Especially Jurassic Park. I actually wrote my first screenplay in the sci fi realm, about human cloning. I wrote it a year ago, and funnily enough, all the talk about the cloned baby of late has paralleled it in an almost uncanny way!

Rob Somers
K.C.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Sci. fiction Reply with quote

I have read a lot of science fiction over the years, and one thing I have always wondered, (and I think Douglas Adams was the exception) why is there so little humor in most Science Fiction?
I think that is why I enjoyed "Galaxy Quest" and "Futurama" so much. Most Science fiction writers take the future way too serious!
I would hope even aliens would have a sense of humor. Perhaps even a more advance whoopee cushion..????
TimAllen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if I must disclose preferences or favorites.
Forbidden Planet
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (love that sub)
Day the Earth Stood Still
Dune
Alien
Predator
T2
...to name a few

Now books are quite a long list.

here are but a few..

Stars are my Destination
Dune
Ringworld
RED-37

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes There is so much good science fiction I hate to mention any specific ones, although The Matrix is a recent standout of movies.

I can say definately that it has evolved greatly from its beginnings. Some of that is due to the greater variety of writers and performers involved. It's probably also due to the increasing technology in our lives, which makes science fiction less scary or weird to much of the population.

A recent thought I had--having been "mostly" an English major (switched from bio): earlier "classic" literature often had stories of man vs nature. Now we have man vs. machine. (Or man vs man)
K.C.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Don't you think.... Reply with quote

RED-37 wrote:
:roll: There is so much good science fiction I hate to mention any specific ones, although The Matrix is a recent standout of movies.

I can say definately that it has evolved greatly from its beginnings. Some of that is due to the greater variety of writers and performers involved. It's probably also due to the increasing technology in our lives, which makes science fiction less scary or weird to much of the population.

A recent thought I had--having been "mostly" an English major (switched from bio): earlier "classic" literature often had stories of man vs nature. Now we have man vs. machine. (Or man vs man)

As an English major don't you think the worst conflicts in Science Fiction or "regular" works; are Man v Man? Okay there is that whole man v whale iin Mobie Dick......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC:

Definitely, you make a good point KC.

Some of the worst conflicts are man vs man. I suppose that these are some of the worst because it's a terrible idea that humans can do such horrible things to one another. The idea of one's own turning on you is horrible, like cannibilism is to most of us.

It might be sub-categorized, I suppose: good vs. evil, one person vs. him/herself (internal conflict), war, one good guy vs. the "evil" group, etc.

In turn, some of the best stories are when people resolve conflict, or when the "good people" unite to fight an obvious evil.
lg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: science/fiction Reply with quote

I am intrigued by science 'fiction', in that if we live long enough, we find the authors were onto some sort of cosmic orbit that eventually returns to us in some form of reality. Often I think that science fiction is a way for really interesting ideas to get out there, without the microscopic criticism of science...they can be prophetic...do it this way, you get this, do it that way, you get that. Escapism that makes you think.
K.C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: science/fiction Reply with quote

lg wrote:
I am intrigued by science 'fiction', in that if we live long enough, we find the authors were onto some sort of cosmic orbit that eventually returns to us in some form of reality. Often I think that science fiction is a way for really interesting ideas to get out there, without the microscopic criticism of science...they can be prophetic...do it this way, you get this, do it that way, you get that. Escapism that makes you think.

I agree with you on that one. What was science fiction a hundred years ago seems to be reality today. I have always thought that the science fiction of today is the reality of tomarrow.
For example have you ever seen the old film "Metropolis"? It has test tube babies, scanners for bar codes, and at home entertantment centers. All this decades before the reality....You gotta love it!
LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I missed that one, but there you go...exactly what I was trying to say. You said it much better....L.
Hotrod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says Jurassic Park is science fiction? I've read a few years ago that scientists can "produce" dinosaurs in the near future....and that article was a few years ago.
Would be kinda cool, a T-Rex chasing Saddam in the Iraq desert.

I'm also not a big SF fan. I liked Star Wars and TLOFTR, and maybe a few more films. Nothing more.
barbara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats scary, Shocked thinking about dinosaurs running around any where, even Iraq!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
K.C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbara wrote:
Now thats scary, :shock: thinking about dinosaurs running around any where, even Iraq!!!

What's your feeling on then in say...France?
barbara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I stopped in here. I was trying to remember Douglas Adams' name the other day and it was driving me nuts. "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" was such fun to read. Something in the book would be a little odd sounding and then pages down the road you would be going "Oh yeah" and flipping back to reread an old passage. It was like watching a good Zucker and Zucker movie where you watch it the first time for enjoyment, then a second, third, .... time to see everything going on in the background that you missed the first, second, ... . time.
Hotrod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other day a Dutch televisionstation broadcasted "The Bicentennial Man". Now this is cool SF. Would like to have a talking robot who does the householding too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: