TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

The Search for the Almighty and Turning 50

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> FAQ- Tim
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: The Search for the Almighty and Turning 50 Reply with quote

I have noticed that there seems to be a driving force once a person turns 50 to try to somehow find God or to find some form of spirituality. I have noticed a common interest that you Tim and my husband have. You are both in your early 50's and read alot of books on spirituality.

Many of the books you have listed on your web sight my husband has read someones several times. He is constantly buying books on spirituality, God, and now he is reading up on all the religions such as Hinduism, Muslem, Jewish, Christianity etc. He is not a church going person. Quit frankly cannot stand organized religion yet he is always striving to learn more about how religion began and why we have this strong desire to believe there is more after this life. A book he did finish a couple of months ago "The God Gene" talks about how all humans have this God gene in all of us. WHY?

I am 12 years younger than my husband and since I have turned 40, I have been pre-occupied with the thought that I will not be around in about 30-40 years and it scares me to death. To think that all I have done will be lost forever. To think that there are millions and millions of people that had a life and it's as if they never existed. Is there life after death? I guess we will never know. Sometimes I wonder why people are so fixated on believing there is an afterlife. Why can we not except that maybe this is all there is and that's it.

Hmmm........... Maybe I should start reading those books my husband is reading. Maybe I will be enlightened!

I said to my husband that maybe God is actually an alien (parent) and we are the alien (children) and God has transformed us into these beings to enable us to survive on this planet. Our task is to see what we can do with the planet and then report back to him on our findings. Is this Scientology? Is this sort of what they believe?

I wish there was an answer to know for certain that there is a God, but I guess we will never find out until the end.

Donna
joalis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have done won't be lost forever, as long as you are making some sort of lasting contribution.
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true! I'd better get crackin......................
barbara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that there is more after death. But Like you said, we don't find out till the end. And I'm not ready to go there yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TimAllen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,
Love to reply to this. My opinion is based on certain assumptions I have accepted in my set of personal preferences.
1) The big questions, why am I here, how long do I have, where do I go? are beyond present science to explain in any fashion outside of, "don't know, can't say"
2) I feel this whole deal is a bit much to be chance.
3) Raised Anglican and it has worked on some levels to point to the creator.
4) I believe Jesus was the messenger, for me anyway.

That said.
From the village Nag Hammadi around 1945 the Gospel of Thomas was found among 13 volumes known today as the Gnostic Gospels. In that Gospel are these words spoken by the Messenger and quoted by Thomas. He speaks about the path of searching for truth.

Jesus said:

Let him who seeks not cease in his seeking
until he finds:
and when he finds, he will be troubled,
and if he is troubled, he will marvel,
and he will be king over the ALL.

So seek, but be ready to accept what one finds.

Tim
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Thank you for your wonderful reply. It was very unexpected.

As I mentioned before my husband has read so many books that I cannot list them all. I plan to do my own soul searching. Some of the books that he has, I will attempt to delve into are:

If You Want To Walk On Water, You've Got To Get Out Of The Boat by John Ortberg
Waking The Dead by John Eldredge
Where Is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancey
The God Gene by Dean Hamer
The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels

Donna Knowles
doodlemuhjigx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Search for the Almighty and Turning 50 Reply with quote

DonnaKnowles wrote:
I have noticed that there seems to be a driving force once a person turns 50 to try to somehow find God or to find some form of spirituality.

Just a thought...
If history does repeat itself, maybe it has to do with Moses going up that mountain at the time that he did.
And now all men are "doomed" to repeat that or something.
Just trying to make some correlations...
beaconmediaceo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,

This is an excellent question you have brought up and if you don't mind let me take a stab at it...

Being a recently turned 31, its not exactly the same for me to put myself in yours, your husband's, or Mr. Allen's shoes (Hey Mr. Allen's Shoe Store! But I digress...). On the otherhand, I have recently begun producing a new TV series to broadcast on PBS and online entitled Anything But Ordinary. The concept of the series is to interview people who are living a life they love and who are living a life of passion and purpose. Now this doesn't mean every day is perfect nirvana, however, they feel like they are on the right "path".

What I have found in interviewing these people, from many walks of life and with diverse backgrounds (entrepreneurs, a doctor, a videographer, speakers, authors, executives, a musician, etc.), is that many of them are or have found a spiritual center. Its fascinating to see how many people are searching for spirituality and from what I have experienced its related to a couple of things.

First, spirituality is something that really isn't discussed in public discourse anymore (unless people want to use it as a political football). True spiritual discourse is significantly lacking today. So people are searching for answers. Second, there are so many varying places to find spiritual truths it can be quite disconcerting... I mean, where do you start? What do you study? What do you beleive? Its a very confusing place. Third, I beleive in this world full of media, 24/7, we all want to find a place to relax and to retreat. To be in a place of understanding and contentment. Finally, I think we all want to know we have contributed to society and the world. Will we continue on or do we fade into nothingness when we die? This is a tremendously powerful question.

From those who are the most at peace I have found that they understand the following things:

1. We are not guaranteed anything. Use today to its fullest, you aren't guaranteed tomorrow.
2. Continue to study spirituality. Find a place that is comfortable to you. Continue learning.
3. The universe is truly at our will to control. Yes there are disasters, etc., however, we have a vast ability to change our circumstances and bring the necessarily elements of success around us.
4. We are what we think and beleive. If you truly beleive you can be successful, it will eventually happen. If you feel yourself a failure, this is also a self fulfilling prophecy.
5. Live in a place of gratitude and faith. Be thankful for all that we have and will have in the future, and have faith that there is a greater plan.

My experience with all of these wonderful people has been truly transforming. Even when life is difficult, I look to find the beauty of my life and the life and spirit that surrounds us. If you look close enough, the journey of your life will begin to unfold before your eyes.

Hopefully that helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your words of wisdom!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> FAQ- Tim All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: