TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

memory
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The World of Quantum Physics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: fear Reply with quote

Canadienne wrote:
TimAllen wrote:
I am startled to discover each day the myriad of fears that rule my reality. One by one I challenge myself to face them so they do not materialize as damage to my physical side.

And what frightens you, Tim?

I'm a parent-and I think most parents share the fear of something happening to their baby. You hold this precious little life in your hands-You want to keep her safe and happy-but you realize you can't protect her ALL the time. I think "letting go" is a big fear for many parents-because the thought of your child stepping out into the world is so overwhelming. It's hard not to worry.
Kat_L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: fear Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I'm a parent-and I think most parents share the fear of something happening to their baby. You hold this precious little life in your hands-You want to keep her safe and happy-but you realize you can't protect her ALL the time. I think "letting go" is a big fear for many parents-because the thought of your child stepping out into the world is so overwhelming. It's hard not to worry.

This was my post. I somehow got logged out.
lg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: response Reply with quote

Rian mentioned the sensory system versus the emotional system. And I happened to wonder if the senses are the creators of the emotions...that without sight, sound, etc. we would be nearly robotic, and if that's what would happen if our entire brain was 'turned on'...then I thought about autism, and if that is exactly what happens to these people; things are too much, so they simply 'turn off'...geniuses, perhaps, not prepared for the overload? So then I wondered if there could be some sort of device created that stemmed the tide of sensory things, a decompressor of sorts, so that they (autistics) could emrge from their protective cocoon...if that's why so many don't like to be touched (shock), etc. ???
lg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: response Reply with quote

I wanted to address Kat Ls' post: The 'letting go' to which you referred was what I have termed 'surrender' in many past posts...how True Surrender is so difficult. So, I'll use your post to explain what I've meant about Surrender...

Can any parent really imagine a time in life when they let go completely of their children? Even when the children are adults, we are always concerned about their well being...it never, ever stops. For me, TRUE Surrender is the total detachment from emotion...the same as 'letting go' permanently of any thought of your child, one way or another, would be. That is what I personally mean by Surrender...giving a thought/emotion/reaction away to a higher source, as if it never existed...because in true surrender, you cannot bring the subject matter back into your being. Ever. Or it wasn't surrendered, in the first place. Do you know what I mean?

That's why I've always stated that True Surrender was the hardest thing in the world for me....
joalis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds just like remaining stoic to me.
lg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: response Reply with quote

Stoic? In that wisdom lies in being superior to passion, joy, grief, etc? No, I do not mean it that way. Although Stoism is a submission to divine will, that smacks of a baby drowning in the river and saying 'Ah well...such was its' karma'. No, Surrender has no such loopholes, in terms of justification. Rather than superiority, one is usually so low before Surrender, that being on ones' knees is elevation.
joalis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no, not Stoicism as a philosophy, but remaining stoic in difficult situations.
barbara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never stops, my kids are out of the house (all but one) and I still worry!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
authorundertree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructive Emotions, co-authored by the Dalai Lama, begins to address research on the nature of emotions and neuroscience. The book grew out of the Mind Life conferences in which the Dalai met with western scientists to discuss consciousness and science in general. This motivated experiments with monks, which were presented to a neuroscience convention at which the Dalai Lama was a guest presenter this past year. You may have noticed in the press there was some controversy swirling around his appearance.
joalis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think emotions themselves are destructive. I think excess of certian emotions can be.
mcromance-com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joalis, I think that would depend on what emotion it is, a little guilt for example or jealousy can destroy the sanest of people.

As for fears materialising. I think a quick glance at 'Paycheck'. Watching the acting is like being stabbed in the eye with a ballpoint pen, but the story is quite powerful. When nations fear war, they create one to prevent it i.e. The recent/current Iraq situation etc.

Who's to say that our worse fears aren't already materialising?

Why are arachnophics always the first to spot a spider walzing from under the sofa?

If you're not looking for it, you don't see it, so who's to say it's there?

Finally, the concept of fear being an actual energy is an interesting one. I personally believe that the 'fear' we feel is a chemical reaction in the body to give us the energy to fight or flee. The energy has apeared in adrenaline form converted from the food and drink (chemical energy) we intake which we then turn into movement (kinetic energy) to perform one of the actions. The mind reacts (and sometimes overreacts) based on instinct and memory. This is a similar over-reaction to exposure to pollen for hayfever sufferers.

Whether fear, and other emotions can create physical objects is questionable. But those of a happy disposition do seem to have better things happen to them and vica-versa, but this has a more psychological background than physical.

I guess summing up, we lead to the age-old saying: There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The World of Quantum Physics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: