TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

discovery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: discovery Reply with quote

Heard today that scientists are searching for 'the last mystery of our solar system'...that a probe had been sent to Saturns' moon, because they feel it resembles the Earth in its origin of time. This probe to Saturns' moon cost a half of a billion dollars. Where do the members of this forum stand, concerning the data/expense/necessity of this probe? I am uncertain. Half of me says these type of things design good things for the human race; the other half feels that sort of money could clear up a lot of things on the planet....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Probe this NASA! Reply with quote

lg,

I my opinion, NASA has proved it's unstated point. It should be disbanded and turned over to some corporation for more profitable/practical pursuits.
We obviously give them(government) too much in taxes if they feel that they can spend it on this sort of thing when there are so many who don't have even the basic standard of living requirements met.

I think NASA needs a probe stuck up it's 'kazoo' (tailpipe) to find out what the hell these people are thinking.... sure it's nice to get a paycheck for doing interesting work but not by taking food out of american citizens mouths to do it.

Coarse... that's just my opinion.
Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Get a grip Reply with quote

What!? How is NASA taking food from Americans? Tax money is not to provide food. It is your responsibility to get a job so you can by your own food. If you feel the need you may share this money and food with other less fortunate individuals who have fallen through the system. I contribute, I help in what ways I can, or more appropriately in what ways I feel is enough. Spending Tax money to discover the outer reaches of the solar system is ultimately to find out more about ourselves.

Do you remember in grade school when your teacher told you that outfitting Columbuses 3 ships was less than the cost of entertaining a royal visitor for a week and that the only reason he had been on hold was the cost? Had the queen given that money to starving Spainards, guess where you would be right now? We live now becasue people 500 years ago had the gumption to set forth into the unknown to find out what's out there. We as a sociecty have the option to do that now. When we as humans stop trying to move ahead and try only to maintain we will already have begun our decent

Oh schnap I shouldn't have written that, NASA just raided my pantry and took my rolled oats and speghetti sauce and turned it into rocket fuel!!
lg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: space Reply with quote

And you've just proven both of my points. Thank God there are more decisive people operating things. If I were in charge, nothing would get done.
lg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: tv Reply with quote

Tonight, (July 31) they are showing a program about this topic on our Discovery Channel. This operation is to understand exactly what a meteor is made of, in order to disable one, if ever it decided to crash to earth. Ice age thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASA is a good use of 'general' funds. You forget the country works in the trillions. These trips into space allows us to see more about ourselves and literally the world around us. We need to understand origins of our house, Earth. Are we in global warming by people or cycle or both? What is out there to harm or more importantly help us? Maybe we might need another place to live or expand to, since we do not seem to appreciate the limits of our house. Think also about all the technological advancements that have been achieved because of space explorations. Science became more important after WWII. When space exploration took off, so did science. Now it seems interest in science is not what it used to be, neither is interest in space exploration. Expand your horizons, in many ways.
emrad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Robots that work Reply with quote

I'm all for the scientific exploration of the universe around us. I am endlessly fascinated by the discoveries these explorations bring back. What a thrill it's been to see all the images radioed back from the Mars Spirit and Opportunity rovers.
But as long as NASA is getting all that money to send probes to other planets, moons, stars, I don't think it's too much to expect them to make sure the spacecraft and remotes work correctly, not burn up in some alien atmosphere, or sail off into the void because someone thought standard when they should've been thinking metric, or some such thing.
Emrad
Silvain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: NASA... Reply with quote

Just like many people need a God to tell them wht they want to know..., many other people need NASA to do so.
Some people are empirical, others aren't. Some just want a God and then they're happy, others want real proof of things. No believing in an old book. No stories of "I talk to him every night before I sleep"...Just, real and tested proof of stuff.
And NASA is one of these "bodies" that can actually do that.
Close the churches and open the Canaveral's. Hoorah for knowledge.
Bush is spending many trillions of tax dollars on a war he's losing and many more on all the bull... in Washington. Big government buildings, with big securities and big defense systems and big parades around himself, to show off his power..., actually very much like Kim Jong Il in North Korea. You know how much that all costs?
And do we learn more about our origins and earthly evolution throug all the wars Bush is waging? Not really, right?
So let's just spend the lousy couple of billion on NASA and hope we finally find out how little and simple we are. And start concentrating on more usefull things then,... say, a God and war with a phantom in the middle east.
Have you ever seen the Cristal Cathedral? Geez, can you imagine how much money people pupmt into that thing? No complaining there about the waisted millions. Oh, let's just complain about NASA, who might actually prove one day that we've all been believing in bullshit for the last couple of thousand years. That, I guess, can be the only reason one would opose NASA.

Kind regards,
Silvain
Rian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt that NASA will ever be able to prove or disprove the existence of God. Nothing is impossible, but that's bordering on it. Exploration of the universe creates more questions than it answers...don't get me wrong, this is a great thing.

I'm a big fan of space exploration, but I think NASA is doing a horrible job. It's expected that things are going to blow up occasionally because it's impossible to plan for everything (especially the unknown). But certain accidents could definitely have been avoided, such as programming a probe and it's lander in both feet and meters, ending in crash landing. These accidents aren't what I fault NASA for, at least not for the most part. I think NASA is doing everything wrong. I don't want to hear from the President that we're working to get men on the moon by 2010. We did that 40 years ago and we continued to do it and then stopped. I want to hear we're working on getting men to MARS by 2010. My problem with NASA is that they're not advancing, they're stagnant. They took two years off of sending anything manned shuttles into space after Columbia to fix their problem...fine. But then it almost happened again. Clearly they didn't use those 2 years well.

I don't know how many of you heard of the contest for personal companies to send a shuttle into space, successfully return, and then do the whole thing again 2 weeks later. Whoever could do it got a bunch of money to help spur commercial spaceflight. Apparently a similar contest was held near the invention of the automobile to help along its commercial aspect and it helped form the expansive auto industry that we have today. Well some company did do just that.

My point is that perhaps there are people out there who could use the government funding that NASA has in more effective ways. I'm not sure about how many sattelites and probes we've sent to Mars, but I think it's safe to say it's surpassed the amount we sent to the moon before we travelled there ourselves. Now, Mars is further away of course, so more research is needed, but I'm not saying we have to land on it. We didn't land on the moon right away. It's a three month journey to Mars, and three months back. I definitely believe that, given the resources, this would be far too easy to engineer.

NASA has taken a drastic step backward in space exploration. Sending probes to all these different places is fine and good, but I believe there are far more pressing issues.

So that's where I stand on the necesity of the probe NASA sent to Saturn's moon. As for cost, I feel that any cost is accceptable to discover more about our universe and ourselves. I agree with whoever used the Columbus analogy to say that exploration and expansion is as important, if not more important, than personal maintenance of a specific culture.
emrad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw a news report describing the next vehicle they plan to use to send astronauts back to the moon in. It's outer configuration is basically a larger re-creation of the Apollo capsule...
Although in many ways it seems to represent a step back, it's the guts they build into the thing that would matter more. By that I mean that if they apply newer technologies that focus more on recycling than on just using up consumables, astronauts would be able to make longer trips; maybe it's more a step forward. It'll probably be a safer craft to fly in space than the shuttle. Those heat absorbing tiles may perform an amazing function, but I've felt all along that anyone covering a craft with stuff that has basically the consistency of Styrofoam is asking for trouble. But then I also think the whole way we get things into space and back again needs to be re-thought. After watching NASA send things up and out all my life, I've come to the conclusion that rockets in general aren't worth the trouble. They're noisy, they shake, the solid fuel ones pollute and sometimes they just plain explode. It sure would be nice to have some propulsion technology that could smoothly and quietly levitate our payloads into space, and just as gently lower them to earth without all that atmospheric frictional heating. I'm a fan of science, but not a scientist, so I can't even begin to imagine how such a technology might work, I just know we need it badly... thank you Dr. Wernher Von Braun, but it's time to move on.
emrad
Rian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a wealth of proposed ways to get into space that don't involve rocket engines.

There are various air propulsion engines or Electromagnetic Acceleration Engines

There's various ideas for THETHERS...these are my favorite because they're so hilarious. It's basically like any tether, it would pull things to space.

Along the lines of these is something called a Space Elevator...which is just what you think it is. It's quite the construction effort, but you would never need another type of propulsion. Once you're through the atmosphere it's much easier.

There are SO MANY different types of propulsion methods that it would be a daunting task to list all the various ones. Go to this link and check them out for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_propulsion
emrad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Magic Carpet Reply with quote

Rian, I looked over the site you linked.
Interesting stuff. The kind of propulsion technology I would hope to see scientists come up with would be something along the lines of the warp drive, or the so-called "anti-gravity" device (although, I would just call it a gravity generator... "anti" only as it would apply relative to any existing gravitational field one wanted to lift something against). The website refers to these as basically belonging to the realm of science fiction, and, of course, that maybe true. Once upon a time submarines and airplanes and trips to the moon were strictly the work of fiction as well. But that's the point I think propulsion technology would have to get to before we could really start making a home for ourselves in space, or on other worlds. We keep on moving stuff by forcably pushing it around the room, so to speak. It may actually prove easier to tug on the carpet instead, should we ever figure out the trick.
emrad
Rian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emrad wrote:
We keep on moving stuff by forcably pushing it around the room, so to speak. It may actually prove easier to tug on the carpet instead, should we ever figure out the trick.
emrad

that almost sounds like you're suggesting we should push the planet down rather than pushing us off it. But i'm sure the point you were going for is we're not looking at all the angles and investing in all the different possibilities.

I thought there were some interesting and practical ideas on that page (as well as some rather lengthy and expensive ones). People are constantly coming up with new ideas. If we can progress the concept of teleportation to new levels, then surely we can find newer, cheaper, and faster ways of getting to (and traversing) space.
sb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: back to lg's original post Reply with quote

Rian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I read about that. It's exciting, yet at the same time I heard about how they're diverting so many other good projects to investigate this harder. I mean, they HAVE to go check it out, if there's life in those waters (single celled organisms, whatever, etc) then that's huge. Still, it makes me worried about other good programs going stagnant in the meantime. I really want to see us get to Mars as soon as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> New Discoveries All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: