FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Stem Cell Research
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Stem Cell Research Reply with quote

How do the members on this forum feel about stem cell research? (Can we limit the conversation to possibilities or none, versus religion and politics, or is this possible?)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: The Stem Cell Sell? Reply with quote

This oughta' be interesting!

LG, do you know of any good sites to visit for some factual info, as to which type of cells are needed for what types of research? Call me stupid, but one thing that I'm not clear on is if all stem cell research needs to be from a human cell, and if it all needs to come from a human embryo??

I think we brushed on this topic before... we should do a search on this site...

Count me in when I get all my little 'grey' ducks in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: research Reply with quote

T., There's a good bit of stuff available, but I found the Christopher Reeve site to be helpful. Straight from the horses' mouth, so to speak. L.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like in on this discussion too. I will do some more reading of my own and let you know what I think too. This topic could become a major topic between a few of us and may get heated up! Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Since we've never had a problem with doing ungodly research on other primates, wonder why this is such an issue? The rhesus monkies have endured terrible things for decades...in the name of science. Wasn't it daVinci who got corpses from around town and cut them up to examine muscle structure for his art? Since the animals in the tsunami proved their intelligence is as at least as good as ours, where do we draw the line? Stem cells hold such promise for so many things...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: stem cell Reply with quote

California has now approved science to reseach stem cells, and given it a hefty budget. Now, they're saying 'we' need to be prepared (that) it might not be the utopian cure they hoped, and that unscrupulous people can get it into the research. Keep you expectations low and noone will be disappointed? Keep the truly inventive out, narrowing it down to the chosen few? Fear itself, of everyones' expectations? Hope certainly seems to have alot of enemies. Geez. Guess we'll watch California and see how it goes...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Please name one ... Reply with quote

Please name one disease, disorder, illness, ailment or otherwise which has been cured, improved, lessened or in any way made better by any stem cell research or treatment?

If it were such a magnificent prospect for the type of Arian future everyone claims it will be, why aren't the very-money-hungry drug companies ponying up all the front money for this? Maybe, just MAYBE it's because the idea, the concept, isn't as sound as so many sales people are trying to make it sound?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should google "stem cell" "cure" and browse through the 1,430,000 hits. Google "stem cell" "pharmaceutical" and you'll get 1,470,000 hits. The answers you seek are probably there if you're interested.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Genetics Reply with quote

What is the issue you most want to see addressed from stem cell research? What part of genetics have you read or hear about the most?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stem cell one of the most promising avenues for curing neurological diseases (Parkinson's, ALS, epilepsy) and countless types of genetically triggered cancers.

As someone who's mother was ravaged by MS, and whose father now has nerve/spinal damage that cannot be treated through conventional means, the idea that a branch of science exists that could eradicate these disease, but cannot be explored because of religious tyranny is a source of tremendous sadness for me.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Inconvenient Facts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...also, there's no "law" that says the cells MUST come from those sources that seem to be the difficult ones for people to deal with. Every human body has stem cells and any given time... it's just a question of which ones are the easiest to work with.

Actually, the best cells are in umbilical cords... which most people have little issue with as far as the study and it's possibilities... many people who's family's have histories of certain ailments (like Parkinsons as an example) are now freezing their baby's cords for future help to the child.

The overwhelming problem with the research is a few non-scientists have decided what is the rule... when they're concentrating on the exception.

Matthew James Didier

The universe is not indifferent to intelligence, it is actively hostile to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stem cell reseach has helped many with Heart failure....I am one of the lucky ones, my heart has gone back to its normal size and my EF is now normal..but for those not so lucky, there is hope.
Adult Stem Cell Transplant By Catheter
In a phase one trial, Dr. Pieter Smits did stem cell transplants in 5 CHFers. Each patient had suffered a heart attack in the heart's anterior wall. Skeletal muscle cells were taken from their thighs and multiplied in the lab.
Roughly 200 million of those muscle cells were then injected into the damaged part of the heart using a catheter. EKG, Holter monitor, diagnostic cath, MUGA, dobutamine stress echo, and MRI were all used to measure heart function.
All cell transplant procedures went well, with no serious adverse events during follow-up. One patient did get an ICD for runs of ventricular tachycardia. Ejection fraction increased from 36% at study start to 41% at 3 months, and to 45% at 6 months. The heart's walls thickened in the treated areas.
Heart wall motion improved in 10 of the 14 patients at 10 months after the procedure. It is still not proven that bone marrow creates new tissue in the heart scars, but Galinanes believes it is happening.
Another study reported on bone marrow cells implanted into the legs of patients who had very poor blood flow there. Forty-five PAD patients had injections of bone marrow stem cells into their calf muscles. Compared to controls who got saltwater injections, stem cell patients had a "striking" increase in new blood vessel growth. New blood vessels formed and fewer amputations were needed.
Of the 45 treated patients, 31 had measurable improvement and 39 had less pain and improved treadmill endurance. Ulcers or gangrene from lack of blood flow healed in 21 of 28 treated legs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the human embryonic stem cells can advance the scientific knowledge of human illnesses then we certainly need to look into its research no matter how rousing the subject. It seems this would have to start with finding other avenues. Where can information be gained without getting to the human embryo use? How much is known? It also sounds like human embryo use has its own information that cannot be found by any other means. If the cells are growing almost mechanically, when does it become a problem to use it in research? Short answers please. Are there issues to this because the moral values seem to be coming from religious beliefs or are these from social beliefs?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Stem Cell research Reply with quote

An medical advancement can be used in positive or negative ways.
Acouple of years ago there was a program that featured a story about retrieving stem cells from the inside of our sinuses.
Each time we get a head cold the nerves that make up our sense of smell
dies.There are stem cells in our noses that grow back those nerves.
This issue is as tough as the issue of Heart and Kidney transplants were at one time.
Even Heart surgery was thought impossible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> New Discoveries All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: