TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Tsunami and Quake That Hit China, Indonesia, Thailand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Tsunami and Quake That Hit China, Indonesia, Thailand Reply with quote

I just found out this morning about the catastrophe that hit this part of the world and how 23,000 lives were lost. It struck me hard and again made me question about God and whether he/she/it really does exist? ANY THOUGHTS AT ALL ON WHAT HAPPENED ?

Donna
emrad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never pleasant for me to hear of disasters involving such massive loss of life.
Death is something life holds for all of us, and no one is above this. Did so many have to die that way? Perhaps not. But perhaps some good can come out of this situation, which is obviously still unfolding. Hopefully a more comprehensive warning system will be put into effect, so that a similar event in the future will not take so many lives.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people who were taken, to all the loved ones they left behind, to the injured, to all the survivors yet to be discovered, to the rescuers searching for them, and to those who will give of their talents and capabilities to help make this world a safer place in which to live.

emrad
Hotrod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all a warning system in those kind of countries won't do any good. There are villagesin Indonesia for example without any form of communication. How will those villages be contacted?
Not a very good idea if you ask me.

120.000 people are dead by now.

I am astonished by this site, or the people on it any way. I've read about famous American actors who died this year at ages from 90 - 100 years old and heard many people say "oooh and ahhh.... I am shocked that this person is dead" etc. You name it.
But when over 120.000 people, and that number is going sky high (numbers of over 300.000 are no exception) are dead by a natural disaster never known to men there's 1 lousy reaction...? What's that about?

Can anyone explain to me why that is? Because I can't.
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hotrod,

I posted on another sight complaining about that very thing. That people go nuts when someone famous dies but basically "it's yesterday's news" mentality when thousands of people die. I do not get it either.

I also posted that I challenge people to donate as much money as they can to the Red Cross. At least to show your support in any way you can.

Donna
Hotrod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donna,

I know what you mean. Of course I didn't mean everyone. I hope people show a little more respect, maybe then we'll have a better world to live in. I'm sure they'll do though.
emrad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cannot stop thinking how many lives would have been saved by a warning system. What I meant in my last post, though, was simply that "should haves" and "would haves" aren't going to bring any of those people back. Please don't let that give you the idea that I don't care. And with the death toll still on the rise... I would hardly think of it as yesterday's news. I would have saved every last one of those people... if only It'd been within my power to do so.
As far as prevention goes, a warning system is about all that we could hope to achieve, at least for the time being. I mean, the earthquake could not have been predicted or prevented. But a tsunami, for all its ferocity and speed, still cannot outrun a phone call, or a radio.
Sure, the communications infrastructure is more primitive in that part of the world, the isolated villages and such. All that means to me is that the implementation of a warning system would be more difficult... would be more of a challenge. Being a human creation, it would have inherent flaws and imperfections. There would no doubt be occasional breakdowns in the lines of communication. There also would be those who, for one reason or another, would not hear the warnings, and there would be others who received the warnings but ignored them.
But if such a system saved even a single life, it would be worth the expense, and the time, and the effort. Because, having seen the horror we've all seen, I can tell you this; an even worse idea would be not to try.
I definitely believe there is a God, and I have no doubt but that Heaven must be a very busy place right now.
As for the reason why there have not been more posts on the subject, I don't know why either, but if most people are feeling the way I am about all this, perhaps they're still kind of in a state of shock.

emrad
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still need to help those people that did survive and help them over this hurdle. They need medicine, water, food and building equipment. With all the riches we have, we can at least help out in some little way.
emrad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, I agree 100 %
emrad
lg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: tsunami Reply with quote

As for the posting: Due to the 'holidays', most of us have not been around to post. However, that certainly does not mean we have ignored the world around us, just because of the holiday. And, sometimes, when you're busy helping, you don't have the time, nor inclination, to post. So, I defend those of us who have not been on the site for a time; it does not mean we have been blindly going about life, without regard to the nearly 150,000 people who lost their lives, to say nothing of the millions left to pick up pieces. We need to be careful of accusations, and simply ask our questions, or state our thoughts, you know?

The warning system, emrad, seems to be taking off. And as far as warning, it is a sad state to claim that we no longer pay attention to Mother Nature, as the 'lower' animals took their cues, but the 'higher' animals, we humans, missed it. (My personal 'heros' are the elephants who ran to higher ground, saving the tourists on their backs.) Goes back to the old Native American teaching about the animals being the ones 'in touch'.

As far a 'God' goes...things always seem to turn around, in the human compassion area, when these things happen. I believe that's where 'God' is...not in the fault, but in the reactions. The Earth and its oceans are always volatile; it is we who try to tame them, and convince ourselves we are in control. I don't think it's 'Gods' fault, or the Earths' fault, or the Oceans' fault. It is life. What we do with that understanding is where our beliefs are...
emrad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very reassuring to see all the efforts underway to help all the stricken countries/people over there. It definitely is helping to bolster my own faith, and hope. Networks are being set up to facilitate communications in the places where the usual nets have been disabled, or didn't exist before. This can only assist in the distribution of water, food and medicine to the afflicted areas. For an encouraging look at some of this, check out www.arnewsline.org

emrad
Writer16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lg, I agree with you on the elephants! So, do you think we'll be sending over a lot of help? I have a few family members over there working in the schools...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: response Reply with quote

W16, we're already sending a lot of help, and not doubt, there will be more. I heard on the news this morning, (if you can believe the news) a top executive with the warning system has been fired, because he did not alert the people enough, or in time...BECAUSE he was afraid it would hurt tourism. Mercy. The tsunami that occurred, with all of the deaths, would seem to hurt tourism more than a warning, but it falls into that 'what if I'm wrong, and its not so bad' category. I can understand the human decision, what with our fault finding fingers, and the hurricane situations here in the States. Damned if you do or don't. The decision should have ultimately been left to the individuals, but the world is not big into individual decisions. The heads want to tell the tails what to do, most of the time, right or wrong.

And speaking of aid...do you guys know that people in Alabama and Florida are STILL waiting for assistance, after the hurricanes demolished their homes? What is this about? One individual I know had two homes ruined in Mobile, and cannot find anyone reputable to fix them, as construction crews that are honest are few and far betwen. As well, a lot of these people have gotten no asst. from FEMA...and now there is this horrible thing in Asia. Hmm...
lg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: warnings Reply with quote

Do you think an entirely new warning device is necessary, or simply an increase in areas not receiving the warning?
Writer16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't warn them because it would hurt tourism? What a wonderful world...

But, to answer your question- We definitely need to have everyone get the warning...no matter how much it hurts tourism...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Warnings Reply with quote

I heard that a Thai administrator warned of an impending quake Tsunami back in '98 but was fired for being a chicken little (IE the sky is falling).

He got his job back and a promotion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> New Discoveries All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: