TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

big questions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huebner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Peace with God Reply with quote

Dear Tim,

I have been praying for you since Thursday, when I read your Reader's Digest interview, and then subsequently listened to the full audio online.

Thankfully, as to your specific questions, and as to your general wonderings, we have a resource in the Bible, which is God's word. I am amazed at how many people want to give their opinion, or their view. God's view is what matters. Here are a few verses that may be of help to you from His word:

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23

"There is not a just man upon Earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not." Ecclesiastes 7:20

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned." Romans 5:12

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His (God's) mercy, He saved us." Titus 3:5

"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof is the ways of death." Proverbs 14:12

"Jesus saith unto him, 'I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.'" John 14:6

"Who (Jesus) His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteouness: by whose stripes ye were healed." 1 Peter 2:24

"For Christ hath also once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God." 2 Peter 3:18

"There had no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape." 1 Corinthians 10:13

"If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17

Our part:

Repent:
"Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." Luke 13:3

Believe:
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." Acts 16:31

Confess that you are sinner to Jesus:
"For there is on God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." 1 Timothy 2:5

"If thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, though shalt be saved." Romans 10:9

The time is now:

"Seek ye the Lord while He may be found, call ye upon Him, while He is near." Isaiah 55:6

"Behold, now is the day of salvation." 2 Corinthians 6:2

"How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation?" Hebrews 2:3

"Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth." Proverbs 27:1

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Remember:
"Everyone of us shall give account of himself to God." Romans 14:12

"It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement, (Hebrews 9:27)... he that believeth on Him (God)... shall not come into condemnation." John 5:24

I will continue to pray for you Tim. I have a burden for you on my heart. I know the Lord Jesus as my personal Saviour; I have tremendous peace. I will pray that you will come to know Him too, and have that same peace.

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1

"Peace with God, which passeth all understanding." Philippians 4:7

--- r huebner
ufofruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote][/b][color=violet][/color]

Wwwweeelllll Tim,
As for the first question it is a good sign that you realize what you are doing.
That is the first step.Known as self-awareness.
The other advice just "stop it"!

Number 2 what is it you would like to do for others as if they were doing it for you?

#3 The needs of the less fortunate can be overwhelming. I think you would be good at helping the Habitat For Humanity building houses.

#4 What fears bother you throughout the day?

#5 That is the test Tim.That is why we are here.
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because man has fallen and now has a basic sin nature, that is why we struggle so hard against ourselves. I think it's time you tuned in to Bayless Conley. He's awesome with the answers to these questions.
artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: big questions...little answers Reply with quote

TimAllen wrote:
I have been re-reading some of the excellent didactic conversations in the forum concerning the nature of life. The fundamental questions that lead to larger questions which eventually lead me down a path to big beautiful empty fields. With some perspective on this, I now feel these are big questions from my little mind. I am really avoiding something. The truth is, I jump over the tough questions. Tough because these questions demand some truth and action on my part:

-Why do find myself doing the same stupid %*&@!# over and over again?

-What are the internal blocks which prevent me from really doing unto others as I would have them do unto me?

-What keeps me struggling with judging others?

-What clouds my vision to the needs of those less fortunate?

-What has me in a valley of fear, in its various incantations, most the day?

-What are these blocks to living in sync with the path I know, I feel, I sense is the truth?

While I read and ponder the great questions on faith and God’s plan- deciding on His motives, on His view of free will and cause and effect, whether He is a Her- I am now sure I am avoiding the real deal.

Its easy to feel important while I get too lost in the questions “out there.” The only world I have any say in is the reactive one centered in me. I want to gather the strength to work the real business “in here.”

Dear Mr. Allen,

It's been years since you actually posted these thoughts. I was wondering if your views have changed any, or are you still at this same place? I've been posting on this site for almost a year, and to my suprise, some of my views are now different as a result of conversations I've had here.

What about you?
AngelMikaheal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 'my mind.' - Only mind.

There are no original ideas. There is only frequency and the ability to attune to mind and this or that of it's infinite 'going on's'

Love is not an effort, action or practice but a by product.

No mind is ours, no thought. Grab vapours and suffer when they disappear. Call the water yours as it moves past you.

Want to change? Spend one month concentrating on death. Do as the great yogi's do and watch the funeral pyres burn. When one sees the truth of impermenance that in itself will transform the ambition from one of material gains - be it fame, fortune, sex - to finding that which does not change and can provide the lasting solace sought.

Or buy real estate on clouds in a distant future for the mere price of a human lifes chance of finding truth and beauty here and now.
Jesus Saves

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: I agree with heubner Reply with quote

If you read this Mr. Allen,
I agree with heubner and all the verses they gave. The Bible also tells us in Titus 1:2, "In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;" There's a website called chick.com it has Christian tracts but it also has books that I believe might help. I'll be praying for you as well. Please don't get left behind.
dougclind

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Answers for you Tim Reply with quote

You have a lot of questions Tim! I don't know if there is room in here to answer them all. Maybe I'll just answer a few until I get tired of typing. I don't know if you'll get a chance to read this anyway so maybe I'll just see if I get any response.

You had these questions in the science interests section on quantum physics:

1. If God is, in fact, good, what is all this death I see everyday?
2. And if God is gentle, what is all this suffering I see?

Ok.
1. Yes, God is good. The ultimate good. What is all the death? It's what we chose. We all have chosen death because we all repeat the basic sin of Adam. God gave us the power to choose that, otherwise we would just be automatons. Stepford Wives, so to speak. So he had to allow this.

2. The same is true for suffering. We ephemeral mortals are almost laughable in our short sighted perspective. First off, our lives, all our troubles, turmoils, and sufferings are vanishingly short. What is 70 years in comparison to eternity? Zero. But suffering, even though short, is real enough. That's certainly true. But again, it's what we all have chosen because we, like Adam, sin. But God IS gentle and good and I know that, like any father, he feels our pain and suffering. He feels it several billion times over. His heartache for us must be totally inconceivable. That is what motivated Him to take on the form of a mortal man, eat dust for 33 years, and then give himself up to an excruciating death so that He could give us a way out. Not a way out of having to tread a short, mortal life but a way out of having to pay for our sins ourselves. And He has given us a "sure hope", the promise of a resurrection to an immortal body to live in a perfect, eternal universe. In a way it's a promise of true riches "beyond the dreams of avarice". And all this is a free gift. All we have to do is accept it by turning over our lives to Him, the One who gave Himself for us.

It's kind of like Frodo's challenge. Your "ring of power", the one thing you have total control over, is this: your heart and soul. Satan lusts for that ring. We must return it from whence it came, i.e. to God, the consuming fire.

Well anyway, that's the short answer to those questions. I'm sure it's evoked some "but what about ..." type of questions. If it has I'll be glad to answer those. I haven't even gotten to the questions at the beginning of this thread yet but I don't want to make this reply ridiculously long so I'll wait on answering those until I'm asked.
TheWriteGal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Hey Tim, about your big, beautiful, empty fields of ??? Reply with quote

First Tim, your questions are important. Not because you're a celebrity; not because of your bank account; not because of your talent (those are all great blessings) - but because of your being. When your life is all boiled down, and everything but who you are is stripped away - it is your soul that matters. God invented you, as well as designed you. You're one of His countless great ideas. So it makes sense that when we face the deep questions in life, we go to the Source of all answers. I happen to be a Christian - a very flawed and totally imperfect one, but a person of faith none-the-less. Here are the insights I would offer to your questions. But before I do, just let me give you high marks for being honest enough to admit that you avoid hard questions because they demand action from you. Most folks never get that far, which tells me you're on your way to doing something very magnificent for God; something bigger than the movies you've made, something world-changing on a spiritual level. Something no one has even imagined yet. His destiny is not about what you do - it's about WHO He created you to become - and WHOSE you are...Now for your 6 questions:

Number 1:
-Why do find myself doing the same stupid %*&@!# over and over again?
Biblically speaking - it's simply because you're broken. Just like me and everyone else on the planet. While we were designed for spiritual greatness, the gift of freewill that God gave us, pulled us from divine design, and into determined deviance from it. Humanity was given everything in perfection, but we got caught up in self-centric desires, rather than gratitude for God's goodness. And so it came down through the ages until today. We keep doing the same dumb things in a repeating pattern because we have a bent towards sin (i.e. soul induced narcissism - I just made that up. Lol). And it depends on our weaknesses as to which bad habits we gravitate towards most often.

You know, Saint Paul wrestled with this very thing. His conversion from a mass murderer to a respected pillar of the Christian faith is amazing. All of the epistles he wrote in the New Testament are rich in advice on living spiritually, but I want to point to a quote that reminds me of your question. Romans chapter 7, starting at verse 18 - "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?..."

...St. Paul's answer, which I have found to be the only one that works for me, is found in his next verses that roll into Chapter 8 of Romans: "25 Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. 8:1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, 4 in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. 5 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8 Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God. 9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you. 12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation--but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ""Abba," Father."

In conclusion of question one, from personal experience, when I focus on my faith in God and His Son, my tendencies/patterns of stupid *&%$! is broken. It's when I take my eyes off of God and disconnect from His power and rely on my own, that I mess up. Only when I rely on His Spirit does my soul succeed. But living in the fleshly body makes it a challenging battle that must be fought everyday to be a spiritual champion.

Number 2:
-What are the internal blocks which prevent me from really doing unto others as I would have them do unto me?
This question is one only you can answer because it is unique to the being. For instance, you may be afraid that if you put yourself out for others, most won't return the favor. They'll take advantage and it will hurt you on multiple levels. Nothing cuts as deep as investing one's self into someone who, in the end, doesn't appreciate it - or worse, who pisses on the effort. I try to practice the Golden Rule in every situation I'm in. Always. Was taught to from knee high. And the truth is, I get peed on all the time. People initially appreciate my effort, but most end up seeing very quickly how they can use it, and once my energy is spent, I rarely get thanked before being tossed aside. This has been true with individuals, businesses, charities - but still I keep trying to live the Golden Rule. Why? Because I found out a huge secret. Even when I'm not treated the way I wanted to be, I feel good about HOW I BEHAVED. The reward I reap outweighs the pain because I was spiritually powerful enough to do the right thing; the good thing; the purposed thing...and over and over again God uses that to impact people. It's never an empty effort. It may take years to see the fruit from what was sown, but you will see a harvest because being good towards others plants positive seeds of change in them. Over time they water those seeds with thinking, and those thoughts grow the seed into knowledge, which will change them (the harvest). It is their decision if their crop will be shared, or horded until it rots. So, whatever issue/fear is holding you back - practice the Golden Rule anyhow. You will likely be hurt and go through crap more often than not because of it (just expect that going in) - but you'll never feel like crap about your effort. You'll feel spiritually powerful. At least, that's been my personal experience.

Number 3:
-What keeps me struggling with judging others?
It depends on what you mean by "judging others" because judgement is necessary in everything we do. In order to protect our loved ones and ourselves, we have to use judgement in all of life. We have to assess and judge people's character, their motives, what they're offering, how their behavior will affect us/our reputations, how well they'll perform for a job, their attitudes towards things that are important to us, etc... St. Paul says "A spiritual man judges ALL THINGS..." 1st Corinthians chapter 2, verse 15.

Also, when Jesus told us not to judge lest we be judged, He was talking about judging a person's SOUL, not their behavior. Only God has the right to judge a person's soul, or declare it irredeemable, because He's the One who made it. Christ was also sharing an earthly principle, pointing out that however we judge, others will judge us; whatever standards of judgement we place on people, they will measure us by the same. This is a warning not so much about "judging" as it is against HYPOCRISY. In Matthew 7, verses 1 to 5 Jesus says "1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye..."

So, if you mean you struggle judging the eternal destination of others - then just realize it's not your place and let God handle it. But if you're struggling with other judgements, I'd say it's probably a misapplied conviction, imposed upon you by a society that says we shouldn't judge them. That's very ridiculous when you think about it, because without assessing what is right and wrong, there would be no law or order. I mean, if we totally should not judge - then we should never vote someone out of office; we should never put criminals behind bars; but we should get in a car with a drunk driver; etc... So, as you can see, we HAVE to use good judgement. The key word of course is "good." And we have to realize that every time we exercise it, we've got many watching to gauge our standard, which will be applied back to us.

Number 4:
-What clouds my vision to the needs of those less fortunate?
Simple: our focus on self clouds our vision. On psychological tests I score in the top 3% worldwide for empathy - which is most often a blessing. However, even scoring that high, I can be self centered in some things. For instance, I've been viably unemployed for awhile now, but upon occasion, I'll sell something on ebay, or get Christmas money, etc... and after I pay my bills will actually have something left over. Most folks would see no problem with me going out and having a nice meal with a friend at Outback or something. And there ISN'T anything wrong with that in and of itself. And I've done it. But there have been several times where after I've plunked down $40 on one feeding, I'll think about how many groceries that would have bought for an orphanage in Haiti. And I will feel really convicted about that. The truth is, I could go to Outback for just my favorite appetizer and a soda, and give what's left to others who may be praying for it.

As you can see, this is a question I struggle with myself. But I think It's all about balance and motive. If you live by philosophy that others are as spiritually important as you (no one's any better, no one's any worse in terms of potential), then everything you do, including what you spend money on, will be considerate of others. I also find that when I bring God in on any issue/situation, and actually ask Him what He would have me do, I get clarity. It's obedience to Him that brings Peace that passes understanding (as the Bible describes it). He didn't mean for you to help everyone, (some don't want to be helped, and some want it but aren't interested in taking responsibility while they're being helped). But He does expect us to have a helpful ATTITUDE towards everyone. Sometimes that's giving them a financial leg up, sometimes it's putting in a good word, or sometimes it's just a smile and a pat on the back. God will prompt you on how to treat each person that He brings into your life. And there will be some He brings specifically so that you can set boundaries with them - because it may be the boundaries you set that will help them become who they were meant to be. My answer: pray that God will show you who He wants you to help, and how.

Number 5:
-What has me in a valley of fear, in its various incantations, most the day?
Lack of love. Divine love. Not that you aren't divinely loved, but that you've disconnected yourself from it's transforming power in some way. Once you realize that God loves you no matter what, then there's nothing to fear. In the end, when death knocks on our door, we lose even the miniscule power we sometimes hold in our mortal bodies. At that point, everything is up to God. So, why not live like that now? Letting everything be up to Him during our life takes the deep fears away. Not that as humans we won't have spurts of fear, but I find as I get older, my fears have less to do with me and more to do with those I love (i.e. are they taken care of, do they suffer in some way, are they happy, etc...) Even then, when I lay it at the feet of Christ, knowing that He is always - no matter how it looks to our small minds - at work for our spiritual good, then I can rest in the fact that nothing that happens will result in ugliness in the very end. His end is Peace and Love. We'll have to go to Heaven to get it, but this process of pain and problems down here will just be looked back on as our training ground to get us there. My pastor growing up used to say death is our "graduation day" when we believe, rather than the Judgement Day facing those who refuse to consider spiritual matters. (We will all give an account of what we used the life God gave us FOR, and that's where the judgement comes in. Those who wasted it on just themselves, with no consideration to the purpose God destined them for - will have a problem with their Maker. Those who used it as a school, striving to learn and grow in order to help others and glorify Him - will be rewarded. Not based on their works (i.e. all they did or didn't do), but based on their BELIEF and behavior towards God's gift of Life to them.

2nd Timothy, chapter 1 and verse 7 says "God hasn't given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and a sound mind." Also, 1st John 4:18 says "18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." The answer to your question then is, believe that God loves you and rest in the fact that He does. Fear will disappear in the face of that. At least, every time I get afraid and focus in on God's love for me (enough to create me in the first place, as well as enough to die in my spiritual place) fear flees from that.

Number 6:
-What are these blocks to living in sync with the path I know, I feel, I sense is the truth?
I'm not sure what path you feel is the truth. But if it's Christianity, (which I am personally fully convinced is the true path from all my studies), you're feeling blocked because satan (who is not mythical, but very real) doesn't want you to be free. "And you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free." John 8:32. Also, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life..." John 14:6

The devil knows that the longer you put off following the Truth, the less likely you are to ever KNOW the Truth. And he'll throw whatever he can into the mix to "block" you - because if he can just put you off long enough, he wins instead of God. It's not an "ultimate win" as in winning the war. He just wins...you. Or me if I put myself into that equation. He wins eternal domination over individual souls. And I don't know about you, but I don't want to be dominated by darkness for all eternity. I feel much better growing in the Light of God's glory. In short, you just can't let him win Tim. "Choose you this day, whom you will serve..." as the book of Joshua in the Old Testament says. We have to decide to follow the path of Truth. We won't be perfect at it, but we can get increasingly better at it as we grow forward. The important thing is to step out on to it - with no delay.

In terms of "living in sync" with the right path Tim, we all struggle with that in human form. BUT, even though it's a fight, we CAN do it. It just takes total dependence on God. Sounds so easy. LoL. But it's not. It's simple, (as in not complicated) but it's difficult (as in hard to do). We saw this in St. Paul's verses in the first question we discussed above. But thankfully, he also tells us in Phillipians 4:13 that we can "do all things through Christ who strengthens" us. When we rely on our own strength, we will fail every time. We have to bring each moment into submission/obedience to what God thinks about it; what God wants us to do with it. And THAT's what's hard. Sometimes I find He doesn't even enter my mind - because I'm so focused on how I think things should go myself. And it's not too far down that slope that I start actually slipping and sliding - even when I didn't intend to. We can live in sync on the right path, but we have to cooperate with God to do it - and too often we leave Him out of the equation.

IN CONCLUSION:
I love your questions Tim, and your thoughts on your questions. Smile You have some great quotes that provoke thinking, and you very much remind me of my Bible College professors in how you frame them. I pray you do "gather the strength" to live God-centered and to work on the real business inside yourself as you said in the quote below. In fact, I will pray for you on a daily basis. I like your comedic talent, but I like the soul you are even more. You are not merely your talent, you are God's big idea. And I think the good you can do for Him in the years to come is well beyond anyone's imagination. Your talent makes you memorable, but your magnificence is evident in the fact God dreamed you up in the first place. I can't wait to see what He does with your life, and will be watching/listening. May He bless you with all the things that truly matter my brother and friend.

While I read and ponder the great questions on faith and God’s plan- deciding on His motives, on His view of free will and cause and effect, whether He is a Her- I am now sure I am avoiding the real deal. Its easy to feel important while I get too lost in the questions “out there.” The only world I have any say in is the reactive one centered in me. I want to gather the strength to work the real business “in here.”
wip1uk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Big questions Reply with quote

Tim,

I've always found it easier to think of life as a journey. Its one where we get to shape our path as the journey progresses, with God's guidance. I try to follow the path in trying to be a better man than I was yesterday. I think that's all God expects of me.

We all know what the right things are, but as we are all unique and born into different places in the plan, it's up to us to make the necessary adjustments along the way. Those adjustments are different for each one of us and how and when we make them is up to us. God has given us many pointers. As long as we do something to shift ourseleves in a positive direction each day, no matter how small, that's good enough.
Denver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Waiting on Non Ordinary states of consciouness Reply with quote

UFO Under Full Observation

Last edited by Denver on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:18 pm; edited 6 times in total
Denver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Waiting on Non Ordinary states of consciousness Reply with quote

UFO Under Full Observation

Last edited by Denver on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
slatham100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: The Great Experiment Reply with quote

Mark Twain, God bless him, gave us his take on the subject. I'd have to look up which story this was in, but a boy plays with mud and creates people, and then smashes them with some level of glee. Perhaps Clemens was feeling especially tormented that day.

The Narnian view is interesting, with Aslan being a benificent creature - yet not a *tame* lion. But that's a little slice of C.S. Lewis' view, which he expanded to great detail in his Space Trilogy. To me the most intimate view he provides is when he tells about his writer friend (Tolkein?) coming to his house and having to push past a Spirit of Fear. I've met that one so maybe that's why I see the telling as so near to reality. Fear is big and seemingly impossible to escape. What a horror to be trapped in it!

For myself, were I to write out my version of a creation story, I see God as not a bored Creator looking for amusement so much as a driven one; driven like people are biologically driven to create and love their creation. But the plan must include the ability to choose - otherwise we're automatons. With choice comes the potential for infinite evil. Why infinite? Why couldn't there be limitations, like gravity, on the amount of evil people can sink into? And why are we as individuals so problematic - the doubt and despair and self-loving, the pure ego of judging others and even ourselves down to the tiniest smidgeon of intent? Why do we watch cable news?

I believe that this creation is perfect, and we can't understand the sheer brilliance of it because we are not God. (And we say Him merely because of our own experience - according to Jesus, there is no Him and no Her outside of here.)

-Sally
KeithParfitt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Tyranny Reply with quote

When a collectivist form of government rules a society some individuals develop a lack of initiative. A stifling of creativity will also result. People don’t have to work harder than anyone else as all rewards earned, are shared. Undeniably the incentive is to work less. Productivity is spread equally for all participants regardless of effort. Under collectivism a ruling class of bureaucratic intellectuals structure communities. They decide what a citizen is entitled to possess according to some obscure socioeconomic philosophy. They decide what is best for an individual and what privileges the individual is entitled too. This is a top down ‘for the greater good’ ambiguous justification. They then apply the oppressive powers of the State to reallocate wealth from those who produce to those who don’t. Simply put the collective steals the talent, ingenuity, and hard work of one citizen and gives it to another in the name of social justice. This is morally repulsive, it is theft. Collectivism warps the self-sacrifice of an individual and encourages the notion that it is necessarily a noble act to sacrifice for the greater good of all, regardless of an individuals desire to achieve. According to the collectivist point of view something created by the individual belongs to the state as the state allows the individual the mechanism of a secure economy with which to create the product, goods, or services. This is obviously false as exchange of goods and services will continue without the benefit of the state. Put in basic terms, people have to eat. Many will profit in the quest for survival through the necessary labor required for their continued existence. The desire to possess another’s wealth as well as to assure that another’s wealth is not greater than one’s own is morally corrupt. This is class warfare. It’s not fair, there is no justification. Collectivism is a philosophy designed to stifle human ingenuity and creativity. Individuals must be permitted by governments to engage in Free-market Capitalism. Only the individual can learn through their free will and mistakes what will work best for them. One size does not and cannot fit all. Social planning is a trap and a form of slavery. When a population is taught that they should rely on some intellectual bureaucrat to make their life’s decisions for them they will only develop the self-reliance of a slave. And when the bureaucrats fail to provide the services required? Then once again it is the individual who suffers. Never the bureaucratic rulers, after all, they in no way have to sacrifice since they make the rules. Be a self-reliant individual not a slave…
Emrad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithParfitt wrote: "They decide what a citizen is entitled to possess according to some obscure socioeconomic philosophy. They decide what is best for an individual and what privileges the individual is entitled too. This is a top down ‘for the greater good’ ambiguous justification. They then apply the oppressive powers of the State to reallocate wealth from those who produce to those who don’t. Simply put the collective steals the talent, ingenuity, and hard work of one citizen and gives it to another in the name of social justice. This is morally repulsive, it is theft".

I would argue it amounts to more than just theft. Good choice of words, "oppressive powers".

Under such a government we would likely as not lose the right to speak our minds and protest or even complain about our collective situation, on the street, in assembly or even places like this.
Gov forbid anyone should express ideas contradictory to the establishment lest they be rounded up and taken in for "reprogramming".
It's not just about stealing ideas, it's about discouraging folks from coming up with any in the first place.

Emrad
KeithParfitt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Tyranny Reply with quote

Greetings Emrad. Thank God for the kinder gentler form of tyranny. If we disagree with the central authority we will be ‘disabled thinkers’ entitled to treatment through the government health care system. I work in human services in NYS and when I met the first person with ODD, (Oppositional Defiant Disorder), I realized that all that need be done by the collective is brand a citizen a ‘wrong thinker’ for the greater good. Obviously then compassionate treatment can follow, to get ones mind right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: