TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

big questions...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimAllen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: big questions... Reply with quote

I have been re-reading some of the excellent didactic conversations in the forum concerning the nature of life. The fundamental questions that lead to larger questions which eventually lead me down a path to big beautiful empty fields. With some perspective on this, I now feel these are big questions from my little mind. I am really avoiding something. The truth is, I jump over the tough questions. Tough because these questions demand some truth and action on my part:

-Why do find myself doing the same stupid %*&@!# over and over again?

-What are the internal blocks which prevent me from really doing unto others as I would have them do unto me?

-What keeps me struggling with judging others?

-What clouds my vision to the needs of those less fortunate?

-What has me in a valley of fear, in its various incantations, most the day?

-What are these blocks to living in sync with the path I know, I feel, I sense is the truth?

While I read and ponder the great questions on faith and God’s plan- deciding on His motives, on His view of free will and cause and effect, whether He is a Her- I am now sure I am avoiding the real deal.

Its easy to feel important while I get too lost in the questions “out there.” The only world I have any say in is the reactive one centered in me. I want to gather the strength to work the real business “in here.”
Writer16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

-What are the internal blocks which prevent me from really doing unto others as I would have them do unto me?

-What are these blocks to living in sync with the path I know, I feel, I sense is the truth?

Call me ignorant and stupid for coming in here, replying, and generally (especially because of my age and the fact that my mind is nowhere as knowledgeable as yours have become) sticking my nose where it doesn’t belong, but I think it’s human nature.

You do the same stupid %*&@!# over and over again because it is your routine, and it’s somewhat safe. You‘ll keep on doing it, even if it is a waste of time.

What everyone deals with when judging, or, trying not to judge others I think is just…everyone instinctively looks for one like her/his self…

Like anyone who can regularly walk down the streets of any city (San Francisco, in my case) I notice the people sleeping in the doorways or sitting on the benches, warily eyeing the bus money my dad gives me. I think that sometimes we’re just to afraid to open up, to actually look at those people and realize that it could happen to us, or that it happened to them. To actually acknowledge them and realize that all they’ve got is the clothes on their backs and that you could very well do something about it, but there’s always that lingering thought “Then I‘ll be down________”. I think the whole, survival of the fittest, Neanderthal feeling comes back.

I think everyone fears things. Perhaps failure, that people will be against your ideas, or something along those lines. Ex: I am nearly always in fear of failure, and at the moment, seriously thinking of deleting this message for fear of being ridiculed to no end.

I think that all of the above things serve as a block to the truth once in a while, and even though you know you shouldn’t be feeling these things, you are powerless to stop them. It takes a very dedicated and enlightened person to face up and over come all of these things, your routine, fear, judgment, cloudy vision, all of it. Now, after giving everyone here a very 2 dimensional answer and possibly (most probably !!) making a complete fool out of myself , this is the end of my message.

N.

P.S. Please feel free to ignore this (well, my) post in it’s entirety, just following educators advice of getting (well, in this case giving) a second opinion...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: For what it's worth Reply with quote

Tim,

I just happened to have two cents to throw in... it's my last two cents so read carefully.

These are questions only you can answer for yourself. They may not apply to others because others have arrived at their stand point (stall point) by a different set of circumstances,requiring differnet answers.
Everyone must ask and answer these questions for themselves. The fact that you ask at all shows your digging and willing to find the answers.

I believe the saying goes " seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened ".

As for the posed questions:
#1 At least one day a week throw all schedules out and adlib.
#2 Do something good for someone you don't know, without them knowing who you are... you'll find you don't have internal blocks.
#3 Judging others and ourself is nessasary, condemnation is not.
#4 A false sense of self importance.
#5 Fear of failure perhaps. Who can remove fear from your heart (mind) if you can't?
#6 Again fear... fear of being different, fear of being ridiculed, etc.
I've been told fear is at the center of every know mental illness know to man.

writer16,
You've done well, you must now go to the head of the class where you belong.... sorry, house rules.

K
barbara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Writer16 here, we do the same thing over and over, because we feel safe, with doing what we know instead of doing something new. I find this happens more and more as I get older.

We would all love to do unto others as they do unto us, but alot of us really can't. I think it goes back to the values we were raised with. We have hearts and feelings, and really can't do what we would love too. Sometimes I find just talking about what I would love to do, makes me feel better, with out having to do anything.

I think maybe because we have been judged all our lifes and have also judged others. We are judged in everything we do in life, do good at work, get a raise or promotion. You go to school, your judged on your grades. We are judged on everything in life, work, family, what we believe, how we live, where we live, what we look like, how much er weigh,what car we have, etc etc.

I remember when I saw my first homeless person....I was on vacation, taking Amtrak to California....I saw homeless people living in Boxes by the train station, I saw them washing in the rivers, I have never seem that before. We saw this from Chicago to LA....we were all upset at seeing this ( this was Christmas time, and everything is suppose to be great-right), and by the end of the trip, we tried not to look, because it was hard to face that painfull fact, that sometimes people don't have the same things in life as yourself.

AGE! I find myself more fearfull now in my 40's, then when I was in my 20's. Nothing could hurt us then, but now we know better.
barbara
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Writer16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks Guest and barbra! This is completely off subject, but I am completely speechless with happiness that I have not completely been scorned! Thanks! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I agree with both of you, as you have managed to hit upon the ideas I was trying to reach and put them into words...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Tim, I'll be a woman of few words and talk to you as if you were my brother.

The really big questions answer...

Sh*#t happens and then you die. Get over it.
Simplicity is the key to making the sh*#t in life smell better.
Danny_R

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writer16, don't denounce your own opinions. I'm sure readers in here are open minded and see something good in what you wrote.

I agree with your responses to Tim's questions. They're kinda hard to respond to actually, but I'll take a crack at them.

I'd say habits and routines make *you* you and tie into your personality. I went to a training seminar thing for work, and in one part, the moderators had us look at how we perform tasks or go about starting things (by-the-book vs. doing what you can and learning from experience, for example), and based on that, we found other traits that relate to how we are, and how we are relates to *who* we are. These traits make others around us somewhat aware of how we're all individual and unique.

I think it's an issue of expectancy. Expecting something from someone and not getting it is a little bit of a let-down. Not expecting something, but getting it can be a surprise; sometimes good, sometimes bad. It's hard to say if it's ok if you request to be treated by others the way you treat them. Situational I guess.

Maybe you don't want to be someone who believes in stereotypes. Again, it would relate to expectancy.

It's a lot to think about because it's a broad topic and relative term. Many people are fortunate enough not to have to experience poverty. It's probably hard to understand how they live, and the 'clouds' could come from lack of understanding, in a loose sense of the word.

Writer16 put it well. Everyone has fears. With a job not going so well, I fear change for the worse. A manager from a past job said that people make decisions or act based on fear or growth. I could say that I'm gonna try to get customers in the store tomorrow so I get closer to hitting my quota, which would be a fear-based decision. A growth-based decision would be to just want to advertise, whether I'm under quota or not. I think I need a break from working to see where things are going, and if I should make a change like this. I just visited family in Chicago, but that was an escape. I need time to analyze what's going on in my life now, and if I like the way thing are going. If not, there's probably somethign wrong. Now, it seems like it's all based on perspective, but if things get too deep, maybe there's something more to consider...

I agree with Writer16 on this one too. If everything is laid out for you, then all you have to do is follow routine, which can get monotonous. This monotony brings about fear and questioning if you're doing the right thing on a grander scale. By changing perspectives, your outlook on life may improve, and you'll be more focused on the positive things you do.

Hope it helps.
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm back because this post was eating at me. I agree with all that you guys have said, BUT everybody is being so damn polite.
If this was my brother asking me these questions I'd give him a quick smack up side the head wake up call.
These and many more questions ran thru my head while I was in the hospital for nine days.
Yes, the answers came to me and my life changed. Maybe that is why your post is keeping me up right now Tim.
You are about to embark on a press junket tour, right?
I dare you to challenge yourself Tim...let NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING bother you for nine days. Step outside of your skin and think, "I could be dead...but I am not, so I'd better cherish every second God is giving me."
I was forced to step outside of my skin for nine days. Force yourself to see the 'other' side of life and you might find the answers you are searching for.

The answers have always been right in front of us. Sometimes it takes a wake up call to finally 'see' the answers.
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up at 5am and had to practice what I just preached.
Darn! Cause I was REALLY angry at a certain situation when I got up!
Even though my brother arrived from Alaska today, I WAS going to let it put an ugly cloud over my day and effect our family fun day.
Then the words popped back into my head when I was at my angriest...let NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING bother you.

It works.
I stepped outside of my skin, saw the other side of the situation, and calmed down.
There is peace in the house once again Smile
lg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: RBQ Reply with quote

I'm only dropping in to express my admiration for our youthful new friend on the site. Though experiences in life do make me feel differently about some of what you wrote, I read it as it came from you...and I've gotta say, I'm impressed. Keep thinking.

Katie, I love you 'better than my luggage' as any good Steel Magnolia would say, but I am glad I'm not your brother! If you 'whop me aside the head' because I can't feel what you've been through, my head's going to be severely dented. I get your message, but Lord, there are so many detours we must take on that road, kiddo. Did you not say you were cruising on the detour, before you got slapped? You just can't take anothers' journey from them...you know?

Tim, I am going to ponder, before I reply. I recognize these questions. Am I correct in deducing when you state 'same old #!#!', this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the daily routines/habits of life, but the incredibly deep, sometimes soul-destructive behaviors that can truly disintegrate something important to/in your life? A living sabatoge kind of thing? L.
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lg,
I just finished spending the day with my big brother. We talked about this topic and he understands what I'm trying to say...BUT he has also known me since the day I was born. He pointed out that I can be a bit abrasive and overly passionate. I agree, I am. That is who I am.

Yes, there are so many detours we must all take in life to learn the many lessons it has to offer. Yes, I was crusing on a detour before I got slapped with my wake up call. You are right, I CAN'T take another persons journey from them.
All that I am trying to do is plant a seed. It's up to the individual to decide how they will grow.
What would any of you have to loose if you spent nine days letting nothing, absolutely nothing bother you. You'll be amazed with the results.
It may sound too simple to let nothing bother you, but it is very effective when searching for answers to the really big questions. And after all that I've been through the past 37 years, simple is nice.
Writer16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KatiePride, I'm going to try it, not letting anything bother me for nine days...but anything? Rejection, worry, doubt, failure...everything? Just throw back your head and sing along to the seventies song on the radio no worries feeling?

Last edited by Writer16 on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
lg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Katie/simplicity Reply with quote

Kate; I understand the seed planting, but everyone has a different row to plow, so to speak. If not so, we would all be like the fool upon the hill...happy, no doubt, but someone else would be responsible for minding the store. The problem will still exist, even if it isn't 'bothering' you. It's hard to 'solve' an issue, if you aren't bothered by it...which is why you came back to respond...you said the post 'was eating at you'. Do you see what I mean?

I just think there are many levels, many types of people. I think the sentence of Tims', 'I jump over the tough questions', followed by truth/action is the base he gave us to understand him, in terms of the questions he asked. When you challenged him to 'let absolutely nothing bother him' while on his junket, I kind of winced. Katie, for your nine days, you were given the tools to understand what you needed, and the price exacted (your life) was pretty high. As well, I understand you are on 'the high' of this experience. Anyone who has ever felt the breath of an angel on their being gets a peace that puts everything into perspective. These are the moments that keep faith operating in this crazy world; we know what we know. However, as time passes and experiences flow forward, the sacred moment becomes a memory of knowledge given, a reminder, rather than an active energy around us . It becomes harder and harder to hold onto the euphoria. That breath, that moment, when in its full expression, is a sweet, sweet 'drug' of sorts. But you can't stay in it 24/7, or you would be 'put away'...die, if you will. You have to bring it back, and continue life. That's when we find out if we really learned what we thought we did. Ancient texts are full of this; even the Christ asked why he had been forsaken.

We don't really need anything but food, water, and heat, when its cold. That's the simple truth. We passed that grade of being a long time ago. Life gets smoother and smoother around the edges until we spiral our way down inside, into the core of who we are. Are you an apple? An orange? A pine nut? A papaya seed? An olive pit? Each of these takes a very different climates to Become. You know? L.
lg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: RBQ Reply with quote

Tim,

I've studied your questions for 24 hours. I understand them, can relate to them, and am positive I do not have the answers. I believe (like another wrote) that sometimes there is something to be gained in like-mindedness, so here goes...(and this is only the tip of my mind!)

After I copied your post to think about it, I wondered where 'a Wilson' was when we really needed him. Then, I wondered if you had not asked these same questions of your Wilson on HI...perhaps in different words, but close to the question? Who wrote those pearls of wisdom that came from his mouth? And like God, you never really got to see Wilsons' face...so, that was one level of response...maybe you've already gotten answers to some of these questions through your own creativity? Just one thought. (consciousness)

Then, I thought you probably asked these questions so WE would think on them, using yourself as 'bait'. Could be... (subconsciousness)

Eventually, I worked myself around to the questions, themselves. Higher ground. (Seems as though the three parts of personality always come out to play.)

Your last sentence stated you wanted to gather strength to work 'in here', versus 'out there'. (Meta vs. Quantum?) My personal belief is that to be prepared to truly fall into the black holes of Quantum, you must first make a long distance swim in the dark ocean of 'Higher Consciousness', for lack of a better word(s). I believe it was in Meta that Einstein, Michealangelo, Edison, Plato, Bohn, etc., etc. arrived at their moments of Eureka!...there in the ocean, then they spat out their finds on the Quantum shoreline. (Ref: Jonah)

My experiences have exemplified (that) there is a sort of 'plunger' at the door of Big Questions/Cause and Effect. If I crack open the door with honest intention, the things I need to use (for understanding) flood through, as if waiting my lifetime for the opportunity. (No, I don't mean its all a big toilet.) It can be overwhelming, and I've nearly drowned a few times. In truth, I would bet you can look back on the past few years, and see them as a sort of 'initiation', in terms of preparing to ask these questions. We ask, when we are ready to know.

The journey in the ocean is not for the faint-hearted. Every 'monster' we can imagine lives 'in here'. (That is a VERY important point to remember)We'd be foolish, to have no fear... we've spent our lifetimes creating it, after all, for our 'protection'. It has served us well. Soon or late, though, we all grow tired of its' encumbrance, if at the moment of death, or at some point in the living, its always gotta go before we can move on. Every mythological, ancient story has this aspect, and it is the 'hero' who is willing to shed this 'fearskin' while still living. (Don't go there!) Still, there is great excitement in that fear, too. Like any roller coaster ride, life has its 'heart in the stomach' moments, and the fast fall down the hill. We have to be aware of only that, to help with the fear. We have created the armor; the ride (if chosen) still has to be taken. In my valley, I always ask myself, 'whats the worst that can happen?', when I'm afraid. the answer: I might die. (of fear, embarrassment, disease, whatever.) When I got over that dying thing, I was free to make a useful decision. But that's just me. Your worst thing may be something else. Identification is really important.

With that being said: It seems to me your questions are like dominoes; One answer would give you the next answer, and so on. Fear is only a trigger, but it needs replacement... something stronger, which goes down to your point about 'the real deal'. We all play this game, dribbling to the right and the left, passing off, planning strategy...but we're going to have to go for the net, some time. It's that net that puts us off, I think. We fear being ensnared, embarrassed, stereotyped, when we've worked so hard not to be. The very fear of not wanting to be stereotyped is a trap in itself, allowing for little movement inside oneself. It keeps us on the peripherey of who we really are. We only have to remember, in this game, that the net does have a place to pass THROUGH (the ocean to the shore); and we all really do want to make a few points in life. So, I believe you might best serve yourself by finding out about 'the real deal' first. Hold onto your hats, boys. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Jonah didn't tell that whale story for nothing, you know.

Linda
KatieSandstrom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high from my medical experience has worn off. I am practicing what I learned a long time ago. I've read many books on the power of positive thinking. One of my favorites is 'Think And Grow Rich' by Napoleon Hill. I'm not trying to reach the masses. I'm trying to reach the 1% that dares to ask the really big questions.
You said the problem will still exist if you don't let it bother you. What I am saying is that if you let go of the negative energy that is fueling the problem the answer comes to you.
We all have the tools to experience what I did in the hospital. You could die tomorrow. We are all vulnerable to this fate.
Turning the negative emotion into a positive reaction is one of the many keys available to us. It opens up the mind to a whole different world.
Sorry you winced when I challenged Tim. I know what the press junkets are like as I've worked crew on a few. It's a perfect time to 'try' this experiment.
You have nothing to loose if you try this. The next time something bothers you and you are full of negative emotions...STOP. Step outside of the box and look at the situation with a positive reaction. You have now made one of the first steps to finding the answers to the really big questions within yourself. When I do this I am always amazed at the positive synchronicities that follow.
Tim did say, "these questions demand some truth and action on my part."
My challenge requires an action of the mind to discover some of the answers.
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't Tim's questions fueled with negetive energy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: