TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Cell phones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: 'Danger Will Robinson!'... but I'll call you later. Reply with quote

I have tried driving and talking on the cell, but lacked what I consider to be sufficient control, so I stopped. Also, about 99% of the people I've seen exercising this dual motorskill experience a decline in their cooridantion to varying degrees depending how far off a straight line they have to venture... and as a motorist sharing the road with them, a warning light goes off in my head, 'Danger Will Robinson!'
So, from a physical aspect -- and taking into consideration the high risk of injury through car accidents/crashes -- maybe concentrating on defensive driving should be the consideration of people when they get behind the wheel of their 2 ton missile.

As for the noise pollution, if people are as considerate with their phones as they are if the person was standing right there, I don't see the offense... meaning, when you're out to dinner [or some place where people go to relax] turn your phone ringer off, let the person you're with know you'll be getting a call, or respect your friend across the table and don't answer it. As far as public transit or on the street... I wonder why this upsets people. I was on a bus once and heard a one-sided conversation because one person was boisterous and the other mild-mannered... it could have been a cell call, either way, it didn't bother me. But we all have our preferences and/or limits. Overall, I think anything that acts as a safeguard or comfort [any single female walking down a dark street alone should be able to identify], or an emergency link, or gets people excited about communicating is a plus.

T
Terre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: To cell or not to cell? Reply with quote

Now to actually answer the original post...

I think all the bells and whistles might be useful for business people or anyone needing to stay in touch with their stock market portfolios, current weather conditions for travellers, etc. The only time I would use any surfing or music capabilities would be when I'm stuck waiting for someone and there's no people to watch and nothing around to read. I've tried playing the games on my phone and... 'Yawn!'... I'm more of a problem solver than trying to make an unidetifiable object jump up and burst a balloon. Get some 'puzzling' solution seeking games on their and you'd have at least one happier customer.
All that said, a phone is a phone is a... you know. You can't beat the basics. 'Was that whole or skim milk, dear?' 'Uh, the Manchurian Candidate is out... what's your next choice?' or ' I've got a flat on I-95 and it's pouring rain, I've backed up 10 miles of traffic, I made your mother-in-law miss her flight and I reeeally have to go to the bathroom... help please?' In an emergency situation, you can't beat a cell phone, and for everyday communication, I think it's ingenious!
As for the target market? Anyone who can talk.

T
joalis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: It's also nice to know... Reply with quote

if you are ever out and about and you get sick or hurt, someone's bound to have a phone. That's pretty comforting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: from a column 'Just Checking In' Reply with quote

"The ubiquitous use of the cellphone has turned downtime into prime time and solitude into solicitude. It has even restored the lost art of the social call."
By Jay Teitel, quote from Saturday Night Magazine

There's a lot of truth in this... whether it's positive or negative?? ... well, I guess that's what's under discussion.

T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Cell phones Reply with quote

Originally bought for emergencies so used the pre-pay method. Also gave to someone temporarily to reach me wherever. First time used, needed to figure out that was MY phone; then figure out how to answer it. Have since learned how to hold it to hear someone, then if they can hear me eventhough it is so small.
If using for just emergencies can, as someone said, use someone elses. Please drivers if you are talking on your phone, that's my lane you are moving into, keep out! The loud talkers would probably be loud with or without a phone.
Patience and care with these things is best.
Bermudagirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell phones Reply with quote

[quote="Danny_R"
Just food for thought. What do you think of what cell phones can do and what they'll be able to do in the future? Also, is the target market...everyone? Are they becoming a necessity for the elderly to be able to call for help; adults to stay communicated with their companies and families; younger adults and kids to stay in contact while out with friends or at school in another part of the country while playing games and browsing the internet?[/quote]

Isnīt it impressive, that the music charts are being influenced by ringtone downloads now? And what kind of crap music is being provided for that cause!

The elderly in this generation cannot even handle a cellphone. My grandpa is 84, he has a basic nokia cellphone and he canīt operate it .

Adults to stay communicated with their companies and families: Yes, thatīs important.

Yound adults and kids? Some of them use their cellphone for playing games. What a waste of time and money.
jduck1979

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the newest of my 2 mobile phones is brilliant (except for some reason it's quit picking up any signal in my house, and works ok everywhere else)........ it's a Nokia N-Gage ("classic" version):
As well as a phone, it works as a handheld games console (supposed to be a almost as good as a Playstation1 + can outdo a Gameboy Advance when it comes to 3D games) + it can also play Java Games / Applications, play video clips, send E-mails (provided you can get GPRS) and has a built-in WAP browser...... or you can also buy a version of OPERA for it that allows you to view sites such as this one (but needs GPRS), and there also software available for it that allows you to play games from other systems (e.g. Sinclair Spectrum, Gameboy Classic / Color + NES)........ and also has a built-in FM radio + MP3 player (which I haven't been able to figure out yet).

Only way I reckon it could be any better is if it could also tune-in to Analogue-Terrestrial TV channels, or the Freeview channels on Digital-Terrestrial TV as easily as you can tune into the Radio with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

I think cell phones are handy tools. If I had been able to call my boys when they were teenagers, a lot of worry could have been under control. I am comforted that my 81 year old mother, who only knows how to dial 911 on her cell, has it in her car, in case of need. She's been a bad driver ever since I've known her. I like going to the store and, having forgotten what my husband asked me to pick up, being able to call, instead of looking for a pay phone, or going back home. It has some handy, convenient uses. But then, so does the microwave. Or an electric shaver. Or a bajillion other things.

On the other hand, it has some bad habits, as well. Do we really need to talk, talk, talk? It certainly has lessened social skills. It creates road hazards in certain peoples' hands. It creates heart attacks of stress sooner to people who never get to leave business where it belongs. It annoys others who have to listen to a strangers' conversation. In other words, there are no rules of behavior with a cell phone, as there are with a shaver (never use in the shower), or microwave (never use metal), a hair dryer (can burn hair if held too closely), or a toaster (really, don't you think this should be in the kitchen, than, say, the bedroom?), etc. etc.

The issue, I think, is with personal manners and requirements. No law can teach that, though. Alas, we are a people of overboard, excesses, the more the better, and so on. I have so often wished I owned a billboard company. I think that is a very effective way to teach...and one of my billboards about cell phone usage would be royal blue with large white letters that say:

If you are now talking on a cellphone just for the sake of talking, you must be a bored and boring person.

Another one would be black with white letters that say:

If you cellphone is hot to the touch, it may be getting ready to explode.

(They do get hot and they have exploded)

Make people THINK, I say.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Old phones Reply with quote

Is it the police departments in some areas that collect old cell phones, maybe the cell phone companies themselves. These phones are reused for those that would not have easy access to calling 911 when needed (namely those in domestic violence). Consider finding a source and contributing the last phone. It is helpful.
barbara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about the police stations, I have 3 old cell phones, now I know what to do with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jeanie821

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cell phone that I don't use very often - it's on a prepaid plan, which works best for me. I don't even turn it on unless I'm going to make an outgoing call.

My personal pet peeve is people who drive while using cell phones. This peeve is on two levels. First, the personal safety level. If you're talking on a cell phone, obviously your mind is not completely on your driving, whether you're using a hands-free device or not. No matter how safe a driver you normally are, you are at increased risk for an accident.

The second is on a more professional level. I work in insurance, specifically personal lines - house, car and so forth. In New York, where I live, driving while using a cell phone that is not equipped with a hands-free device will earn you a $40 ticket, which shows up on your motor vehicle report (MVR) and counts against your insurance. I can't tell you how many people, clients and brokers alike have told me, "It's just a cell phone ticket. It doesn't count." Never mind that there's five of them on the MVR, along with two for not wearing a seat belt and a speeding ticket.
virtuoso in pink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phones are wonderful.. I don't think anyone should be without the safety of having one just in case of an emergency of some sort.. and yes, the technology within cell phones keep getting better.. like the almost magical bluetooth technology thats in most cell phones today.
blogGreen88

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: defensive driving Reply with quote

Are you talking about defensive driving or something else?! Umm. There is a good page for defensive driving perhaps!
Also,you can find some other content on it,such as dog accessories or water fountain or promissory note.
You can search on the homepage try some other keywords,no ads even.these page updated every day.Because of the huge database,it perhaps not very fast,if you don't like it,take it easy.
davis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: looking for latest ringtones Reply with quote

Yesterday I changed my old mobile phone and got myself a new one which supports all the features that the modern phone at present does, and without any doubt I can boast of my new phone, the only thing that disturbed me was that the built in ringtones were not quite up to the mark, so am looking to download free ringtones and they should be polyphonic or Mp3. any reliable sources from where I can download them?
Bermudagirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with my car today and I needed help. I was standing in the middle of nowhere, it was raining like hell and guess what.... THE PHONE DIDN`T WORK! The display showed full reception, but for some reason I coulnīt do any phonecalls in my car. Walked a few steps away, it worked for a few minutes, called the automobile club, but that was the only call, that I could make. Walked down to the pub to try calling my cell from the landline and I dindīt get through. In the end the car problem was solved, but what, if I or someone else had an accident? It would have taken me minutes to run down to the pub to call the ambulance, in the meantime the person could be dead.

I ask myself, what do all the mp3 players and polyphonic ringtones, games and stuff help me, when the basic service (making a simple phone call) doesnīt even work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: