TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Cell phones
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny_R

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Cell phones Reply with quote

Hi all.

I work for T-Mobile, and what I've seen from cell phones have gone far beyond just being able to make calls from wherever you are (reception pending)...

My phone can be used as a modem to connect a computer to the internet, play synthesized and real-sounding song files (MIDI's and mp3's), take pictures that can be sent to other people or saved to a computer, has organizer-like features (calendar w/ outlook synchronization, calculator, currency converter), games, and AOL Instant messenger. Now my brother's phone can record 15 seconds of video and view web pages similar to what could be seen on a computer screen.

Most people that come into the store look for the basic phone just so they can make calls. Obviously the companies will still make them, but even the basic phones will have features similar to the top of the line phones out now.

Now kids are getting cell phones to let parents know where they are and talk to their friends.

Just food for thought. What do you think of what cell phones can do and what they'll be able to do in the future? Also, is the target market...everyone? Are they becoming a necessity for the elderly to be able to call for help; adults to stay communicated with their companies and families; younger adults and kids to stay in contact while out with friends or at school in another part of the country while playing games and browsing the internet?
Hotrod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always annoyed when people are talking on their phones in public transportation. They're talking too loud (I can follow the conversation), too long and no one has something to say t the other person. They just talk about what they're gonna eat that evening. What's that about?

I phone pretty often myself, but I usually wait untill I'm home. And when I do have to make a phonecall when I'm out, I keep it as short as possible.

I don't know what you all think of people phoning in public transportation, but I hate it!
bluedreamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me personally, I am not a phone person at all! I can't stand talking on the phone for more than five minutes, it just drives me crazy. I do have a cell phone, but I chose the simple one since I don't use it that much. Technology in general just blows my mind...especially with cells. The things they have been able to cram into those tiny little boxes are unreal. I'm not sure what the future holds for cell phones, havent they basically gotten everything? But I'm sure I will be in awe when they do find more to add. The target market now, I think, is everyone. The elderly, teenagers, parents and so on. I'm only 22 and yet I am still weirded out when I see 13 year olds talking on their own cell phones. When I was 13 I didn't even have a phone in my room! LOL....but it just shows how much cell phones have become somewhat of a neccesity in this day and age. They can be very useful, but most of the time they're just a pain...maybe if people started taking classes on how to be proper and have manners when using them... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
barbara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a cell phone but I only use it when I got on trips, or leave the house, in case I need it for something. And I do have a hands off where I can talk when I'm driving, so not to get in an accident. BUt I do know people who only have a cell phone instead of a home phone and they say it saves them money. But what drives me crazy is people who talk when they are trying to drive, one hand on the phone , the other on the wheel....and people who come thru my check point at the airport, talking on the phone, holding the whole line up while they finish their call.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
K.C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to break down and get a cell phone. It's only a "pay as you go" type. I really only need one about an hour a month. My kids are in two diffent schools in two diffent parts of twon.

My only problem with cell phones is people who drive talking on them. I have nearly been hit a dozen times in the last two months, and EVERY time it's been with some one on thier cell. I wish they would do like Barb, and get a hands off contraption, I might live longer.
barbara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would too, KC, we can't have you getting hurt, or anyone as a matter of fact. New York did good in making it so that you aren't suppose to talk on the cell phone when driving. So they have to pull over to talk now, big deal, the life you save may be my kids, grandkids, or even their own family.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hotrod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbara, Europe has that law for about 1,5 years now. Fine for talking on the phone while driving (you're not allowed to have a phone in your hand...) variates from €128 (about $150) to €2000 (about $2200). What's the fine in NYC?
barbara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, anyone from NY know?
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We here in Ontario do not have a bylaw stopping people from using their cell phones but I am sure it will come. We go through alot of red tape up here before anything is passed.

Getting off the subject a bit though and I do not know about you guys south of me, but we have had a rash of pit bull attacks. Some guy in Toronto was just walking his friends two pit bulls and then suddenly attached for no apparent reason. They were both shot repeatedly just to get them down. Just the other day a boy around 18 years old was arriving at a neighbours house to cut their lawn and the neighbour didn't see the boy coming and let her pit bull out. The dog ripped the back of his head and made a mess of his feet. WHAT IS YOUR FEELING ON PIT BULLS? DO YOU THINK THEY SHOULD BE BANNED ALTOGETHER AS A BREED OR DO YOU THINK IT IS THE OWNER'S FAULT FOR SUCH AN AGGRESSIVE ANIMAL?

Donna Knowles
barbara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your are going to have a animal that is so aggressive that you need to be reponable for that animals actions. Its like having a loaded gun on the kitchen table, sooner than later, something bad it going to happen. The problem with these dogs is that they don't know when to stop and they don't, they usually have to be shot.
Hotrod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't pitbulls illegal in the US??
barbara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know (I don't have one) you can have them here.
K.C.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's still legal to have a pit bull. My feeling is this; a animal is as mean as it is raised. A pit bull was bred to be aggressive, so it doesn't take much to make them a loaded gun.
A friend of mine has a pit bull, she was raised by a kind hand and is very sweet. But God help you if you look like your going to hurt her family.
On the other hand I have a dalmation that could care less what happens to us.
Like anything I think it has to do with planning, most folks who want a pit bull also what a mean animal to "protect" them. So these animals are raised mean by thier owners.... Other wise known as "morons".
emrad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never will forget the time I was visiting a friend... he had a friend over who had brought his pit bull. The dog had been very friendly to me, and was sitting at my feet. Well, the front door was open, and a sparrow landed in the front yard. Suddenly, the dog's jaws began chomping uncontrolably as it saw the bird... I don't think it'd take too much to activate that attack mode.
As for myself... my best freind is a chihuahua.
The only thing I don't like about cell phones is that you can not use them off the grid, so to speak. These so called marvles of technology must access the cell network to be of use, even if the person you're calling is on another cell phone right across the street. Should a disaster, or some other emergency happen, and the network is disabled or overloaded, you may as well use the phone to hold down the papers on your desk (though, as they continue to make them smaller and smaller, even their value as paperweights is becoming questionable).
If you havn't already guessed,yes, I am a ham radio operator.

emrad
DonnaKnowles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a phone, my husband and I both have cell phones and between all three we probably spend anywhere from 100-150$ a month. I am tired of waisting my money on this stuff. Everywhere you go, you are being flogged with the next best thing. Unless you really need a cell phone, forget it.

Cell phones are great for an emergency as long as that's all you use it for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: