TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

above and below
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The World of Quantum Physics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: above and below Reply with quote

Do you feel, according to the law of physics, there is a parallel universe out there? Is the Earth a mirror image of another place?
Danny_R

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of posting that question a few days ago. Weird, huh? Maybe you're me in an alternate universe that acted on my thought of asking it. Hehe.
I saw The One (with Jet Li), which deals with that issue, sorta. I don't know much about the law of physics, but everything has its opposites. Up and down, actions and reactions, left and right, black and white, etc. so I think it's possible that there's a universe contrary to the one we live in...
Saltgrain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Parallel Universes Reply with quote

Suppose there is an infinite number of parallel universes,--then what is the meaning of death?
lg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: parallel universes Reply with quote

Like the commercial, 'So, I told two people, and they told two people...'? whew. That's alot of universes. Wouldn't that be like the old game of whispering a sentence to the person next to you, and the sentence goes around a group of people, until (when the last person speaks it), it's nothing like the original version? So, that makes me wonder if there's a mutation with parallel universes, or a distillation of the weakest parts, and nothing is left but the stronger points and then, eventually nothing but essence? So, in that vein, death is important in its small way, as it would designate a loss of one of the base elements?
Saltgrain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Death and the Alternate Universe Reply with quote

lg,

Interesting. Or mutation of a base element (suppose you had a different father?).

My visualization is God as the Alpha, a source of all potential universes. Sort of like an octopus or an inconcievably huge ball of an infinite number of strings emanating from a center (God as a giant ball of yarn). God as the Omega is interesting, too. Sort of part being, part events,-- events that cuts across all universes. God exhales and creation springs into being. God inhales and all existence is ended. Death by breath. (The only death that really counts.)

Fun to ponder. Do you think S/He is napping or do you think S/He is studying the twising vapors of His/Her breath? (Is it really all that interesting?)
lg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: grain of salt Reply with quote

Nah, I think we're the ones really napping. I like the visualization of 'God' playing with the vapors of his/her/its breathe, though. Denotes the boredom we must often be.
I do think alternate universes are interesting...do YOU know about the Hubble thing? Wonder what goes on while we're asleep?
Saltgrain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Hubble stuff Reply with quote

lg,

Go to: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2004/08/

Gotta love those galaxies.
Terre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Brainz, grains and mutations. Reply with quote

Thanks guyz... great food for thought. Mutations, balls of yarn, the whispering game, vapors...

hmmm... I always thought if they did exist, the differences between them would be caused by [random] chance. I need to think about the mutation concept... I like it because it seems more 'organic' and somehow more human or related to life/history... things that mean something to us. It seems that when talking about PU's people tend to view it anthropomorphically and say things like 'I wonder if I would have gone to college or married that guy from the news channel?' But [human] frame of reference has never been relevant to whether or not Surtsey was going to blow.

When I think of the PU concept, my brain hurts. It's like trying to visualize the actual number of grains of sand in the world... or the number of insects in existence, or the number of peas you had to shell as a kid, or...

Do they actually exist? I could only guess... or paint an answer... Klatu, any proof?

T
Klatu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: 'PU' stunk from the begining! Reply with quote

T,

If I were able to answer the question I would in deed be a highly paid or at least a highly admired individual... but thanx for the left handed compliment (I have a closet full).
'PU' is a mental concept that has been stretched (by Hollywood) to infinity and beyond (to borrow a phrase..ahem).
It came from some PHD in physics that did'nt want to think anymore so it became convienient to make up this PU hypothesis.
It seems to be based on 'regrets' ... I should have done this back then so that future events would be different from what they are now, sort of thing.

In that sense we are constantly making future events for ourselves and others, right now with very move we make, every breath we take... (sorry Sting).
If their were PU's then there would be some evidence of it, if they exist in many multiples there should be even more evidence, if there were infinite PU's we all would trip over the evidence on our way the bathroom... don't you think so? Infinite is more than just alot!

If there is no PU's at all, I'm afraid this is all we have and that will have to be enough.

Since God is an infinite idea to this finite mind, I have trouble with the ball of string concept... I'm not surprized, I did'nt see punk coming either and I'm a rock and roller from way back.

K
Evropej

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A train and a tunnel both have proper lengths L0. The train speeds toward the tunnel, with speed v. A bomb is located at the front of the train. The bomb is designed to explode when the front of the train passes the far end of the tunnel (point A on the figure). A deactivation sensor is located at the back of the train. When the back of the train passes the near end of the tunnel (point B on the figure), this sensor tells the bomb to disarm itself. Does the bomb explode? Justify your answer by solving the problem (1) in the reference frame of the train and (2) in the reference frame of the tunnel, and show that your answer holds for both observers (since it canít explode in one frame and not in the other!).

the solution:
in a reference frame out side the train, the train is shorter then the tunnel and the bomb does not go off
in a reference frame on the train, the tunnel is shorter then the train and the bomb goes off
two different result which satisfy the laws of physics
mulit-verse welcomes you
enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Solve for problem Reply with quote

Evropej,
How nice to hear from you again! I hope all in well with you and yours.

The real problem is length=0(LO)... this implies a length that cannot be integrated to the other measurable (time dependant) enities(sensor and velocity of train).
Have I miss understood the example?

If the tunnel and the train have the same length and the velocity is below the speed of light, the bomb will go off at the end of the tunnel. Because the sensor will not get the signal to deactivate the bomb due to propagation delay of conventional resistance and capacitance in the wire connecting the sensor to it's signal source.
If the train is traveling faster than light speed the bomb will go off after it has left the tunnel. The sensor just got the cancel signal after the bomb exploded.
Regardless of the internal or external frame of reference which are observational points to ponder, there is the actual result which must happen due to real actions outside of the observations. The real problem occurs in between our ability to observe each discrete event in time

Have you been experimenting with the French/Swiss rail system again?

K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: above and below Reply with quote

Hey guys & gals,

I'm new to this site but I love talking about this stuff. Something I just read that I thought some of you unique minds may like is kind of scary and awesome to think about. The title reads Parallel Universes, not just a staple of science fiction, other universes are a direct implication of cosmological observations. Then it goes on to say that it is supported by astronomical observations. This model predicts that we have a identical twin with the same memories on a planet called earth etc. the only problem in proving this is that it is about 10 to the 10X28 meters from here. That is beyond astronomical. (In infinite space, even the most unlikely events must take place somewhere). This also makes me think about wormholes and space travel that does not require nuclear ion rockets that NASA uses, with those it would take way to long to reach any far point in the universe. If anyone has any knowledge or views on these topics I'll be watching for responces. I'll probably be posting other interesting ideas as I get them.
Evropej

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to be back
I will check the forums once a month
I like adding fuel to the fire Laughing
Multi Verse is the object of this discussion which has been mine also recently
Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: parallel universes Reply with quote

if everything we touch is not actually matter, but a combination of atoms creating the illusion of matter, then why can't we also be an illusion, with parts of us elsewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: evolution of parallels Reply with quote

My great-grandmother and grandfather were full blooded Cherokees. Then, my grandfather, (full blooded) married an Englishwoman. Then, my father (half Cherokee/half English) married my mother, who is Germanic. I am Germanic/English/Cherokee. Evolution appears easy enough to explain. My children evolved this even further, as will their children. It isn't a hard thing to understand. Evolution is not simply a state of mind, but a fact in every family, save the purest of races (which are aboriginal).

Parallel lives might fall under this division of evolution. What if one atomic structure remains the same (ie, does not mutate), even though to our eyes (which is very little of the Universal sight), it appears to have changed? Quantumly, doesn't the atom have the choice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The World of Quantum Physics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: