TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Jesus... the Man.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beau Goldly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: decisions and choices Reply with quote

KJP wrote:
We choose among the opportunities and challenges that present themselves to us. God decides what those opportunities and challenges will be.

I was referring to accepting Christ.

And, just because you've once claimed Him does not mean you cannot commit the unpardonable sin (which, I believe, is very difficult - has nothing to do with questioning) and lose it all. (And has nothing to do with "works.")

We chose to accept Grace or refuse it. That choice is ours. There is a Heaven and there is a hell. The paths diverge at a point we decide. Based upon accepting Grace.
Beau Goldly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joalis wrote:
If God knows what's in our hearts, he's not going to send us to Hell because we once believed and then became unsure. That makes NO sense!

You are correct. I believe Peter was unsure many times. Not in God, but in himself.
UberChic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jesus... the Man. Reply with quote

TimAllen wrote:
Was the Emperor Constantine responsible for the deification of Jesus? Jesus was both the Prophet and the Messenger, but what condition would the Christian world be in if it was true that Jesus was also a man just as us? Would that have minimized the impact of his words?
T

I think Jesus's words would still have just as much, if not more, meaning today without the Council of Nicea's vote to make him divine. I think it would have allowed Jesus's teachings to be seen as philosophy instead of doctrine.

I think the world would be a better place today if Constantine and the Council had not voted the way they did. But perhaps it was the best thing at the time. Too bad these political leaders couldn't see the consequences for thousands of years later. It's difficult to undo what has been stamped and sealed as "unalterable."

The world changes. Man changes. To be artificially stuck in the past with old doctrine, in my opinion, is regressive.

Last edited by UberChic on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lunar Hotel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jesus... the Man. Reply with quote

UberChic wrote:
Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus say "I am God."

You obviously have no background in Greek, Hebrew, etc.. He was specific. The texts are clear. If you chose to ignore them, fine. But then you can make no statements like the above.

You cannot have it both ways.

Although you most certainly can have it your own way...
UberChic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jesus... the Man. Reply with quote

Lunar Hotel wrote:
He was specific. The texts are clear.

Chapter and verse, please?
James2:13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: For the record... Reply with quote

Matt 11:27, John 8:24,28,58 & 10:30
Mark 14:62, Luke 22:70...
Improvguy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it faith itself that allows us to not have to deal with these kinds of hypotheticals?
Lydia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: I have to jump in on this one! Reply with quote

I don't think the historical figure Jesus' words, deeds or example mean or impact humanity anywhere near as much as the myth of his resurrection. He became the whipping boy for the human race with that whopper. And now we have all these evangelicals and others drunk on the escape clause of divine forgiveness.

Go ahead!! Hate your neighbor, bash gays, curse them that curse you--yeah, in short, do every devilish thing that's the OPPOSITE of what Jesus taught!! Why?? Because, gees, he's only going to forgive you because he loves you sooooooo much. Pardon my sarcasm. I resort to that when I am very frustrated by things.

I saw a sign on a church that said something to the effect of, "Jesus suffered for your sins. Why should you sin and devalue his Gift?" I thought, "That doesn't make any sense! If Jesus suffered (PAST TENSE), his suffering is OVER. And, if his supposed miraculous spotless death was to pay for all human sin, the MORE sins humans commit, the MORE his suffering miraculously saves humanity, right????"

I just don't get Christianity. I mean, I know people want to feel redeemed, transcended, reborn, etc., and that's fine. But your "imperfections" are part of you; not something to be plucked out and chased away from you. That only creates duality and misery, IMHO...
James2:13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to know why so many love Jesus?

Just ask Him.

He's available 24/7.
pfunk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an added thought as a new member.
Im am a Christian in the sence I believe Jesus died for my sins.
so, that out of the way
Ive been doing research quite a bit on diferent religions and would like to put a seed of thought on peoples heads
Quran (Islam, Muhammed, Jesus??????????)
did you know that he is mentioned in the Quran as a profit?, Along with many parallels with Judism (Jewish beliefs). Studying other religions, if your a devout Christian, will help you reafirm yourself in Jesus.
I did some reading on scientology and damn, its hard not to pass judgement, sorry, I dont lie. Just a tidbit of info, Celebs can get 10% for people they recrute (class starts off at 2 grand per session and as high as 12 grand for a .5 hour session)
ufofruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Jesus was~ Reply with quote

[b][color=violet][/color] Smile
Jesus came to us as us,Man.He was born.Loved his Mom.Worked with his Dad.Had siblings.The community knew him.Yet he was perfect,without sin.
He cried,pleaded,prayed,sweating blood in the Garden.
He became angry at the money changers in the Temple.Became tired having the fisherman take him away from the crowd on shore.Loved little kids.Talked to women.Talked to the rejects of society.Healed the ear of his enemy.
Saved a woman from being stoned to death.He angered is siblings by leaving
home and not taking his tradition place as the first born son.
Took care of his Mom.
The words of God and the teachings of Christ are still here so I guess it doesn't matter what Constantine did or didn't do.[/b]
UberChic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James2:13 wrote:
Want to know why so many love Jesus?

Just ask Him.

He's available 24/7.

Does he have a toll-free number?

Ha, of course not. "God" is only in one's conscience.
joalis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UberChic. Long time, no see.
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when Jesus was brought up before the Caiphus and the San Hedren (spelling?) and Caiphus asked him "are you the son of the living God?" Jesus answered, "I am." Caiphus then tore his robes and cried out blasphemy. This was a reference to the words that God spoke to Moses in the burning bush when Moses asked who shall I say sent me? and God answered "say, I am, sent me."

Jesus here in essence is referring to himself as part of the godhead, he is God made flesh.

I believe that when God needed to find a way to absolve man from his original sin, there was truly only one way to reconcile man to God and that was if God died himself. But, of course, God cannot die being an immortal spirit. He, therefore, needed a fleshly substitute to enter earth and represent Him on the cross: his son, Jesus.

But in essence, they are also one in the same. Think of it as a mathematical problem. You know in Algebra sometimes we have to substitute one expression for another in order to solve the problem--especially in Calculus when using the chain rule. We substitute the letter U for the whole expression, solve the problem and then substitute back. Voila!

It is virtually the same idea. God must sacrifice Himself for man to save him, yet God cannot die, but he needs to, so therefore he needs a substitute to die for Him on the cross in order to save man from sin.

It makes sense. When I look at Jesus on the cross, I tell myself I am looking at God there. Remember, too, that when the disciples asked Jesus how they may look upon God to know He is truly there and that they have seen Him, Jesus said to them, "when you look upon me you have seen the father."

After all, God did invent Math, didn't he?!!!! Cool

P.S. And, Yes, the Council of Nicea and Constantine did have a lot to do with making Christianity the way we know it to be today! But that's another story.
AngelMikaheal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus?....

www.zeitgeistmovie.com

'Riding the False Horse' is a phrase that I thought of for ornamentation discussions based on a principly false premise. Proof abounds there was no Jesus as claimed, at all.

History abounds with accounts of men and women who were capable of flying, levitating, walking on water, healing and so forth - yet this is a history somehow hidden in plain site from western scholastics. Investigate the Tibetan Masters of Meditation, Taoists, Yogi's and thier corresponding stories.

We do not have to judge, only observe clearly, and all things then reveal themselves. Look at the fruits of 'Jesus' and those (not Jesus himself) who have compiled accounts about Jesus and used them as brutal weapons against mankind to create false seperations in the mind and thus isolation, which both allow mankind to impose serious harm upon itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: