TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Time Travel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think it would be wise to have mankind time travel?
Yes, kill off Hitler
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
No, I don't want to blink out of reality.
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Who cares? Let Star Trek worry about it...
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

Klatu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Precognition Reply with quote

Emrad

I would think precognition needs to be weighted against the correct outcomes verses the incorrect outcomes to have validity for being a true construct in which to gage it's value.
From the time we are born there is a section of our brain that does nothing but calculate the probability of falling flat on our face with the next step we take. Precognition maybe nothing more than that section expanding into other areas since it has developed and mastered the calculation of walking successfully.

If you have ever shot skeet you may be aware that the best shooters don't think about the target they want to hit because the thought process gets in the way of the hand to eye coordination which does not use conscious thought but depends on more of a reflex action.
The same hold true for self defense (martial arts).

When you drive down the street do you think about each thing that you are doing? Don't you listen to the radio, scan the bands, talk on the cell, have a conversation with the person next to you while peforming the complex task of driving?

Dr. Bearden thinks the human mind is always in the time domain where all things happen at once without the convience of being separated into segmented slices.
Perhaps this is where precognition comes from but it still requires a well disciplined mind to sift through the time differences and reconstuct a proper sequence that fits the current time base.

K
emrad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Time Reply with quote

Klatu
I agree with you that the best way to examine the possibility of precognition is through the scientific method. I also am very skeptical when I hear of psychics who claim to be able to look into the future for specific items of information on demand, as though this ability can somehow be switched on and off at will like an electronic device of some kind. I certainly have never been able to do that. But over the course of my own life, many times things have occurred to me, only to come true at some later time, and it seems to have happened more times than I can comfortably call coincidence. But the items of information normally seem random in nature, and never have I been able to tell them apart from the thoughts in my own stream of consciousness, that is, until the event actually transpires.
I don't agree with the idea that time is an illusion. To me that implies that time is not real. My take on time is that our perception of it is kind of like, well, red through violet. And, like the electromagnetic spectrum, there's just so much of its nature we simply can't perceive.
As for Bearden's site, you were right; there is a lot to read there. I looked for quite some time before I found the part addressing the mind angle, and then it was time to go and do other things... must go back to check it out (that site leaves me with the feeling that I'm just trying to catch up). In your description of the closed loop circuit that bends space-time fabric upon itself, do you think the energy fields involved in matter could be doing the same thing? Considering the electric field of an electron, for example, whose charge curve gets quite steep down at its scale; if space-time fabric were somehow being drawn in or accelerated through that field, say, by things happening in atomic nuclei, and that acceleration curve resembles the electron's charge curve, wouldn't that impose a coupled magnetic field? That leads me to ask this question: When a beam of light passes from a vacuum into a denser medium, say, a piece of glass; does the light really slow down, or could it be that it's traveling at the same speed, but has to traverse a greater distance, a greater concentration of space-time fabric than would usually be attributed based on conventional measuring techniques? Could it be said that all things made of matter are bigger on the inside than they are on the outside?

Emrad
Klatu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrad,

If you continue to read Beardens site material we can have a very informative conversation regarding your well chosen questions.

Re: light speed changes
The speed of light is consistant in all cases, curved spacetime produces observable differences such as bending, distorting, refracting, etc but the speed remains the same.
Should light slow down to a sublight speed it would turn into matter of some type. Should matter be accelerated to light speed it becomes light for all intents and purposes, by the e=mc^2 rule.
So you see all matter is 'frozen' light, all light is liberated matter.

Re:Time
Time is a real component not illusionary, it's simple a variable.

Re: Matter
The question stumps me a bit. Matter has structure from one atom to the next which is coupled by atomic bonding. The outside of all atoms are the electron cloud area. The distance from the electron area to the proton area is about the same comparitive distance as the planets to the sun in terms of particle size. Chemical physics deals with the bonds that occur with electrons. Electrodynamic physics deals with the forces inside the atom... more or less.
Sorry, I can't really answer the question as it's stated.

K
Wizard27

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Time Travel! Reply with quote

I would like to time travel to see things that interest me and to help the world out just a bit. Twisted Evil The fact that time travel is possible tends to be exaggerated a bit. Yes, you can "time travel", But you would need to go to space to do that. Surprised
lg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: response Reply with quote

Personally, I have wished I could time travel all of my life, into the past, and into the future, and even into eternity, wherever and whatever that might be.

However, you asked if 'man' should time travel...all I sense from that is more chaos than there's already been, as for every good intention, there would be a bad one. We're not real good at governing what we do on the whole, you know?

K and emrad, more conversation? Interesting...
lg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: time Reply with quote

I have to apologize. I've been away for awhile and came back Tuesday, full of thought, but out of energy. Consequently some of my posts sound arrogant, and I'm sorry about that. In RE time-travel, I made it sound like I could do it, but others shouldn't. Geez. I didn't mean that at all. Sorry.
lg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: running with it Reply with quote

Ms. K.C.
Good for you, girl! A question that had over 1000 views and got some interesting responses!
My bottom line answer to your question, as to whether or not we would screw things up is, Yes...I think we would.
K.C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I have enjoyed watching the responses. And as to man kind messing things up if we could time travel....I am SO in agreement with you. There are so few things mankind does not mess up.
Rob Harvey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Time travel Reply with quote

Cool Hey KC!

Yeah, and my reasoning? Pearl Harbor....9-11...Khe Sahn,RVN...etc. Anything to save lives.

Later

Rob Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
K.C.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But also consider the good things that came out of Pearl Harbor, 9/11. American solerdarity, women learn that they could do more than stay in the house, folks learning about the hero inside them.....Just to name a few.

On another note, how are you Rob? I haven't seen a lot of posts from you. (Of course I haven't posted a lot lately either.)
Rob Harvey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Hi K.C.!

Unfortunately, business (fire/rescue) has been busy. Life and death are still happening outside of the gulf states; although, to look at a TV or listen to a radio thats all that they want to talk about.

Sorry for sounding upset, working a triple and they suck! Sad

Hope all is well with everyone.

Rob Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
K.C.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sweety that DOES suck! Give yourself a hug for me! I wish I could send you some cookies to cheer you, so instead I will send you my good wishes, and tell you how prould I am that I know such a hero as you! (I mean it too!!!)
Rob Harvey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Hello K.C.

Thank you for your internet "cookies". I had them with a big glass of cold, internet "milk". Ha-ha-ha. Wink

Your friend,

Rob Cool
lg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: time travel Reply with quote

Have you ever gotten 'lost in thought', and find time 'slipped up' on you? Is this a form of time travel?
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Tim can pull the Omega 13 out from storage and we can give short term, back in time, time travel a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: