TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Time Travel
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think it would be wise to have mankind time travel?
Yes, kill off Hitler
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
No, I don't want to blink out of reality.
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Who cares? Let Star Trek worry about it...
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

K.C.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Time Travel Reply with quote

I know we have thought about if it would be possible to travel through time. But has anyone thought if it would be a good idea or not?
I LOVE the idea of time travel, I watch anything that has to do with it, but if it is possible how badly would humanity screw stuff up?
What do you all think? Personally I think I would be stupid enough to try to go back and convince my mother to pick a better man than my father. Not to wipe out my own exsitance, but to make her's better. I figure if I was ment to be here I would be...
How about you guys?
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that most movies depict time travel in the sense you described. The past can't be changed. Of course, this theory is excluding Quantum Leap. I don't know what I think about time travel to the future. That's sort of like being able to change a psychic's prediction (if you believe in that sort of thing), if you do change what was predicted, then they really weren't able to predict the future after all.
lg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: time travel Reply with quote

I am fascinated by such, too, K.C. I would like to be able to view, but do nothing to change anything. Sensing the atmosphere of things like the American Revolution or the Renaissance...wouldn't that be something?
K.C.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine looking over DiVinci's shoulder while he was painting the Mona Lisa and asking if she shouldn't be wearing something with more color?
Danny_R

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hand I'd want to see the future based on decisions I've made and other alternate futures if I decide one thing over another. On the other hand, it would eliminate the 'excitement' (using the word loosely) of becoming the result of your decisions and actions.
Maybe I'd want to see what my parents or anyone were like when they were younger, but not the past where I already exist because that would bring up all kinds of 'space-time continuum' Back to the Future issues, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for it collapsing upon itself...
K.C.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remeber reading once, I think it was Mark Twain; where he warned that a time travler going back to the begining of time would have to be careful not to even step on a bug. What if you stepped on the great grand father of some bug that would keep world food production going. So if you killed the first generation of that bug, you could wipe out humanity by wiping out the worlds crops....Or not. It kind of messes with your mind the longer you tink about it.
lg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Twain Reply with quote

So, K.C., I guess when we time travel, we must be sure to stay away from the beginning! I'm not that scientifically primal, so I'd try some historical, rather than evolutionary, period. (You know what I mean)
Still, I'm thinking the sanitation systems would be cause for a very short stay...all the gold in any castle seems dull, when they say you could smell the castle for miles, before arrival. Guess that made it easier to know where to locate your enemies, huh? It would be intriguing to simply travel back to Ft. Myers, Florida when Edison, Firestone, and Ford spent their summers there. Probably lots of talk about ways to create monopolies, I guess. Still, to eavesdrop...on a thousand different interesting people and times...the emotions, the thought processes, the spiritual leanings...but you'd still have to smell it, in the end. (Pardon the pun.)
emrad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Time travel Reply with quote

Greetings one and all!
Well, we may already be in time travel trouble. Question is, is it already inevitable, and has anyone considered the possible connection with the UFO phenomenon?

Without going into some of the amazing things I personally have witnessed, I must confess that I have had an interest in UFO research for a long time, and have heard and read (as I'm sure many of you have) about many UFO sightings or encounters.
Of particular interest to me are the accounts of apparent abductions. The conclusion I am forced to come to, at least for now, is that the abductors are not necessarily aliens, at least, not in the popular sense of beings from another world.
My own opinion about these so called "aliens" is that they seem to be embarked upon a course of capture, examination and release that all too closely resembles the activities of a known species, namely ours. Assuming for the moment that we do not kill ourselves off in the foreseeable future, it stands to reason that our continuing technological development, our ongoing investigations into quantum mechanics and other areas of physics, coupled with our seemingly endless fascination with time travel, eventually, perhaps, inevitably culminates at some point in our distant descendants "finding a way". And from there, these future humans probably would disperse forward and backward in time. So the strange "beings" visiting people of our time may just be... us, or whatever we evolve into... or, put another way, whatever we evolve ourselves into; and among them, future historians, anthropologists and archaeologists.
My own reasoning is that it seems just too implausible for representatives of another world to contact us in such a way. I feel that if a civilization were technologically advanced enough to make their way here across all those light years of space, that very same technology would give them the capability to learn anything they wanted to know about us, as well as influence the course of our development from orbit, without any of us ever having known that they were here. Humans, on the other hand, even the scientists among us, have demonstrated, in spite of our developing technology and ethical paradigm, the tendency or compulsion to "touch", to interfere intentionally. And, again, assuming for the moment that these abductors are future humans, they in particular, would have a motive or a vested interest in the study of... us, perhaps above that of some far off civilization from another world.

emrad
Danny_R

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept, emrad. So you're saying that 'abductions' are actually humans that are capable of time travel. However, abductees describe their captors as beings that look other than human. Does that lead to evidence of what humans would evolve into? That would in one way or another relate to predestination of the human race: ideas of what would happen that humans would evolve into what some abductees describe as having big eyes and all. Can scientists predict the future of the earth that would result in such an evolution and either prepare for it or attempt to prevent it?
barbara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I could believe the time travel thing....but I do think that they are other planets out there with life, thought they may not look like us--I can see where they would come to Earth and study us humans...I'm sure we are the same in some ways, we also have many differences. I don't see where they would want to hurt us, if they did, they probably would have already done that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
emrad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Time Travel Reply with quote

Greetings again!
Future Humans... if they're not from so far ahead in time that they don't even refer to themselves as human anymore.
Yeah, it’s all just conjecture, of course, but I feel it’s a possibility that should not be ruled out. You never know, there may come a day when humans discover that it’s easier to traverse time, than space. But I get the feeling that time travel would ultimately require a mastery of both time and space. Since it would appear that everything in the universe is on the move, I would hazard a guess that it would not be possible to jump through time and expect to be where you were when you left, so to speak. If you stepped into a time machine and went six months back in time, for example, would you suddenly find yourself floating in empty space on the opposite side of the sun from the earth... where earth was six months ago?
As for the aliens, I’m more or less with the camp that thinks they look too much like us, the so-called grays in particular; here we have bilaterally symmetrical, two legged, two armed bipedal beings with a two eyed head resting atop two shoulders, etc. To say nothing of the accounts that would tend to indicate that they are so perfectly adept at communicating with us that they don’t even need to speak as we do.
If future humans are visiting us, does their mucking about in their own past negate or secure the possibility of a pre-destiny from our perspective in time?
One can only imagine what kinds of problems and challenges, if any, future humans, if any, will be faced with. Future generations might find themselves on an earth possessing an environment for which it would be impractical to try to build machines to compensate, hence, the necessity to change themselves instead. Re-writing their own genetic code might become a matter of their very survival, and, as such, would be something they would not want to prevent.
We humans seem to be a pretty imaginative lot. I am constantly amazed at the discoveries and inventions we keep turning up. For instance, I was looking over an exchange here on the topic of parallel universes. If a parallel universe doesn’t exist, I’m sure that, given sufficient time, we’ll probably figure out a way to create one!
Emrad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is a parallel universe any more difficult to digest than another name for it, like heaven or the other side or something?
K.C.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have to admit I like the idea that the "alien abductions" are really just evolved humans checking out their past. But when you hear how many had anal probes, I start to wonder if our future selves have a fetish that is not allowed in the future....
Klatu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Time travel Reply with quote

KC,
(re: last post)
Or sorely missed.

Emrad,
In the unuverse at large time travel is not only possible but very practical.
When one considers the great distances between stars that have planets at just the right distance to support our kind of life, it becomes a necessity to learn how to traverse space in the most economic fashion possible.

Since space and time are welded together as spacetime negating or minimizing one for the other or one into the other is more the problem to be solved.
A common closed loop circuit actually bends spacetime, the amount is so small it has a very small measurable effect on the local field. Increase the energy input into the circuit and more spacetime is bent. At the upper end of this arrangement spacetime enflods onto itself and like magic strange things happen.
A common bar magnet translates energy from the local vacuum into a real observable effect. A charged capacitor placed onto a bar magnet, oriented properly will hold that charge... almost forever.
This is also a demonstration of translated spacetime, only energy was transferred not matter.
In order for matter to translate from place to place it needs to go through the e=mc2 process and back again without upsetting the original structure.
Since all matter is made up of atoms which are energy packets anyway, it's more a problem of preserving the structure than just adding energy to the structure.
As you maybe aware by now by reading Dr. Beardens website, longditudnal waves travels about 4.5 times the speed of light, that also means they transend time. Even at superluminal speeds the energy does'nt get to the target before the switch is thrown... it just gets there faster then common light speed.

If you google around on some of Tesla's work, he invented a londitudnal wave generator and was the first to calculate the speed of the wave.
Bearden describes londitudnal wave interferometry as the intersection of two or more longditudnal waves were interesting things happen... so did Tesla... tools being moved to a place they were previously, broken objects found reassembled, the feeling of being young again after using his generator.
Can you see why the government put the clampers on his papers after his death?

As for the greys... I think they are the fallen angles of the old testament. By us capturing their technology and back engineering it we changed our future as surely as if we invented time travel... went back and changed something in the past.

I think KC was right.... their preoccupation with anal probing says it all for them.

K
emrad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Time Travel Reply with quote

Klatu
Well, thankfully, abduction is something I don't believe I've had to live through. Many accounts don't seem to paint a very pleasant picture. What trips me out is all the reports that depict aliens reassuring their captives with statements like "Don't be afraid, you won't be harmed", whilst commencing with procedures that evoke fairly significant pain and fear. It leads one to wonder if these beings are unfamiliar, or unconcerned with our concepts of emotional and psychological harm, which can be every bit as real to human beings as physical harm. Oh, well. I suppose these are issues for another topic.
Getting back into time, has anyone ever considered the implicatoins of precognition, why some people apparently become aware of events in the future? Could it be that some aspect of human consciousness already resides there, or, perhaps in all time frames simultaneously?
Anyway, good morning all... I'm off to refill my giant tumbler with espresso!
Emrad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: