TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

MAC POLL!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Mac Attack! & technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who has a Mac?
I have several
26%
 26%  [ 10 ]
I have one
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
I only have a Windoze :-(
47%
 47%  [ 18 ]
I have a Windoze but want to switch ;-)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

JHovey

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5 button mouse on my mac, and a 22inch cinema display. Gotta love it.

I figure those who haven't been on a mac, really don't know what they are missing.

I was a PC gamer before I found my mac, and to be honest, my games don't crash and my screen is huge. What is not to be happy about?
TimAllen

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Tiger Reply with quote

Ok who has Tiger and why won't my SonyEricsson T610 connect now? Do we like Tiger?
I wonder if it was a big enough upgrade?
Iron Maiden

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im presuming ur talking about a mobile phone and why won't it connect, maybe its because you just put your old sim card into your newer phone, I found that was the case with mine and thats why it would not connect for me
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
appleking

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Tim Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

did you install your T630 with iSync under Tiger? Well I have here Tiger running, and its sweet, my Sony Ericsson K700i runs perfect. Whats about Bluetooth, did you turn it on? Also on your Mac? Try it out, perhaps you have not the right location on (Systempreferences and then BT enabled)

I hope it works for you: feel free to contact me for further support. Very Happy
Iron Maiden

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well how about if i say macs use a 30 yr old operating system....thats true
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
appleking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Maiden, please inform yourself first, before posting the things that are not true. The MacOS X system is not 30 yrs old, it just uses UNIX, which is an underlayer of the MacOS X, the kernel in OSX is FreeBSD, and it is not 30yrs old, its the newest developement. So you should tell all the Mercedes Benz drives, that they drive a car which is over 100yrs old, because Mercedes as a brand is so old.. Wink

Well so Windows XP is a dinosaur in comparison to OSX Tiger...
MalcQV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: tests tests tests Reply with quote

..what do they actually say. On a given day using given architectures running given executables, this machine was faster than that.

In the real world it is all meaningless because we all use computers for varied tasks.

I work in IT and have done for several years. What do I do (other than reading forums and internet surfing Smile)? A UNIX Systems engineer or administrator if you like. Primarily Sun Solaris and in the past RedHat Linux. When CAD systems all ran on UNIX workstations, they were my chosen desktop. I still have a Sun Workstation on my desk, it is great for doing certain tasks. My other desktop is a Dell laptop running XP and a Compaq desktop running W2K (I am using that right now).

I always maintained UNIX was the best OS ever. It is for certain tasks (of which I am not going to bore you all). Solaris is like English to me, however I really find my Intel based machines fantastic to use. They very very rarely fail. I admit Windows 9x and ME etc were a bit lame. NT fixed alot of that but W2K and XP really fixed that.

The point of this is, all things equal. Fit for purpose and ROI (Return on investment) are what help companies make their IT decisions.

I have seen IBM, HP all make their comparisons against MS and Sun etc. MS against Linux ROI etc etc. Naturally they all fall in favour of the company who owns the software/hardware that they are trying to prove.

If you want to run a word processor, spreadsheets etc then a Windows or Linux PC will always win when taking into account price and performance.

I like it that Bill Gates has competition from Linux and other companies such as Apple because it means choice. In many IT application Windows will always win, for ease of use and the aforementioned topics.

I love my Sun but admire Windows and Linux very much indeed.

Just look at how many companies use Windows on the desktop and the back office (servers). Please don't tell me that they are all brainwashed, as IT professionals in my experience make very good choices.

You also may find this interesting:-http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4612951.stm

One other thing, having a Kernel that is 30 years old + is really a good thing. It was established over 30 years ago and has been developed ever since. Microsoft are playing catch up (doing it quite well) for reliability and security.

Sorry this was long winded. It is not an attack against Apple, I feel it is more like putting it all into perspective.
BigPoppa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tiger Reply with quote

TimAllen wrote:
Ok who has Tiger and why won't my SonyEricsson T610 connect now? Do we like Tiger?
I wonder if it was a big enough upgrade?

I absolutely LOVE Tiger. I've been using OS X since it was in beta form and have watched it slowly come from totally unusable to rock solid. I seem to have fewer glitches in Tiger and have not had one crash.

A different perspective, I used to use an Amiga 3000 which was probably the single most fun I've ever had on a computer. Mac OS X brings all that fun back that I used to have on the Amiga, especially the memory management and TRUE multitasking of the OS.
patgillin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: great macs Reply with quote

OS X is the most stable operating system out there. It literally heals itself when something goes wrong, which is rarely; never crashes (well once or twice long ago); uses iChat with iSight - the best; and is so easy to use that even I can - I being a 71 year old granma; doesn't need anything except a one click mouse; zips thru heavy duty applications like Photoshop CS for a 10 MB graphic; etc., etc., etc.

Everyone should have at least one; put it up against your PC - see how it looks - sleek and gorgeous (oh that design team) and put them both to work. There is no comparison...

Very Happy
Lorraine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Macs VS PC's Reply with quote

Why don't we see Macs in the work place?

I work for a very large PEO company and our system we use is ORACLE.

The only time I saw a mac was in my kids school ?????

Why aren't they out in the work place ??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a Mac laptop for personal use because it had a good price, portability and all the software I needed already included. It would have been too expensive to buy as a IBM compatible/MS run machine with software purchased separately. Is that too easy for businesses?

Have worked at a place that used Mac on a network; very efficient and rarely a comment that it froze, did not work or was too complicated. The network was self-run with in-office fixes if needed and only rare IT intervention. The database was also self-designed and utilized. I will use as the office computer if I ever get the chance.
MalcQV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again it all depends on the company. You guys are slightly biased Wink as am I about Sun.

Unfortunately not everybody finds these alternatives to their taste. Thankfully that is why we are all different!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WORD!! Very Happy
tigardtoni

Location: Tigard, Oregon, Usa, North American continent, Earth, Sun's solar system, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a gently used older imac for $40 at my school. I love it! It's a life saver! And it doesn't hurt that it used to belong to a teacher. He taught web graphics and stuff like that so there's a bunch of programs on it that I have no clue how to work. They're fun to play with though.
SimonTek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Tiger. One thing I like bout apples is it plays well with the windows, linux, and unix machines on my personal network. I run 12 machines on it behind a cisco router, and a gigabit switch, mostly for learning. 1 machine is great to learn on, but having many, and many different kinds, teach me how to fix them when they go wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Mac Attack! & technology All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: