TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Belonging vs Being

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Belonging vs Being Reply with quote

Here is a very interesting article on groups compared to individuals:

http://www.bigquestionsonline.com/features/the-unwisdom-of-crowds

How do you feel about groups and belonging? How do you feel about individualism and uniqueness? What do you think is the trick to balance and deliberate awarness of maintaining the balance?

I'm just curious. I tend to be a bit of a loner, myself. Not quite balanced, I suppose.

SLB
magneto guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: No club Reply with quote

Your topic covers a wide array of discussion, but here's my nutcase response.
I live in California, where sugar ants have more family values than some of the humans I encounter, and the special interest groups seem to be lazy non-profits in search of donations. -The minority of the group does the majority of the work, and the rest sit back and complain about poor production values! This place is the ultimate individualistic society, but it is full of interesting and sometimes strange people, like me.
"I am who I am, based on what I do".
The beauty and terror of life is it is short. Make it work for you while you have the opportunity. Don't waste it by worrying about being accepted. It won't last.
Broken is not an option, as a good buddy of mine always says.
Balance is a choice for most of us. A reaction to falling over. Keep moving and steer into the fall. That's how I taught a kid to ride a bike. Every action has a reaction.
The only failure in life is the failure to learn.
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna be! Never fit in so who really wants to belong?
artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: And.... so..... Reply with quote

LadyHawke wrote:

Don't worry about it, LH, someday they'll beam you up & you'll know for sure why they keep shutting down the nukes, lol.

magneto guy made some interesting comments.

SLB, have you always been a "loner" or did you become one? I've become a "loner" as a reaction to many life events & its not a good choice. I have the wrong kind of personality for it because I'm a funny/entertaining type..... too much solitude is a bad fit for me.
SLB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"SLB, have you always been a "loner" or did you become one? I've become a "loner" as a reaction to many life events & its not a good choice. I have the wrong kind of personality for it because I'm a funny/entertaining type..... too much solitude is a bad fit for me." --Artist

Pretty much always. My youngest sister pointed it out to me when I went to visit her just after she graduated college in Colorado. We were at little bar in Grand Lake and at one point she said, "You are SUCH a Jafo!!" I, of course, replied, "Hunh?" So she explained with a sneer, "Just another f***ing observer!"

She was never one to pull her punches. When my dad was dying he told my older sister that he wasn't worried about her because she had both feet on the ground all the time. He said that I had at least one foot on the ground most of the time. He confessed he was worried that his third child had no feet on the ground at any time. Then he said, "And, well, your youngest sister, --she has all four feet on the ground." That's her. Never one to dance around any issue.

Say, did you know the third thursday in November is World Philosophy Day? Article:

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/mclemee/mclemee308

I think on that day we should all hold our own World Philosophy Day here!! What do you think? (Should we risk this "belonging"?)

SLB
artist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Make Plans To Attend Reply with quote

SLB, your foot story was great, thanks for sharing it.

I bet most regular people who post on this site already feel a sense of "belonging" here; it is sort of a club, in a way. Your World Philosophy event sounds fun.... glad it's not til November, that will give me time to come up with an actual philosophy.... lol.
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And now together: WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUAL!!!"

I see and hear it all the time. But mostly on profiles of social networks: "I'm sooo crazy!" "I'm not like the rest, I'm worse." I'm just so unique in what I do."

Why the f*** do they all sound the same? And what urges them to tell everyone?
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last semester I had to hold a lecture on the national community (Volksgemeinschaft) between 1930 and 1945. It really covered every aspect of life. It was in schools, in unions, clubs and associations like Hitler Youth, Union of German Girls etc. The "we" feeling was stronger than ever and exactly what the Nazis needed. Ppl devoted to sacrifice everything they had for the sake of their national community.
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therefore we should promote rugged individualism.
paigetheoracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyHawke wrote:

Loneliness is a withdrawal symptom, where wanting to be alone is a conscious decision to separate from the world. Pain always causes us to let go of the world so that we can learn from what happened. If you grab hold of a red hot poker and let go, it is because life is trying to tell you that is the best option, to avoid further damage to yourself. Life is experience but we all need to separate from it to discover what it has taught us. Being alone gives us thinking time. Feeling alone is wishing to rejoin the world we are part of. Action takes us out into the physical playground - thinking causes us to withdraw into ourselves, in order to digest what we've learned.

By the way 'being' is going nowhere, whereas 'doing' is this act of trying to become what others want us to be (The initiation ceremony). In truth we can never be accepted, when in this state because we don't accept ourselves either (The irony of life is that if we feel we don't fit in, we never can. This is because we've programed our minds to see reality this way).
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyHawke wrote:
Therefore we should promote rugged individualism.

... and anarchy! And chocolate icecream for free!!!
phillip j why

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belong or begin!
Either way, we all end up the same.
The universe's great equaliser.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> The Really Big Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: