TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Helping the homeless in Detroit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smtreger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Helping the homeless in Detroit Reply with quote

Mr. Allen,
I work at a wonderful company that aids the homeless in Detroit. I'm writing to you about our latest endeavor to aid families this holiday season.
We are asking public figures to jump on their bed and upload the video to social media to spread the word that every child deserves a bed to jump and sleep on.

Humble Designís mission is to help homeless families get off the floor and into beds.

The Jump On Your Bed Challenge:

Because every kid deserves a bed to jump on.
Humble Design is challenging people to video themselves jumping on their bed, post to social media and then challenge others to raise awareness and money for kids who are sleeping on the floor.

Hereís How It Works:

Make a video of yourself or with others, jumping on your bed and share your excitement at having a good nights sleep through social media.
Then challenge others to do the same.
After sharing, donate to Humble Design to help us raise money to put every homeless child and their family in beds.

Please use the hashtag

#humblejump

Please share on any social media you use including but not limited to twitter, facebook, instagram, youtube, vine and snapchat

A little history of us:
I moved to Michigan from Miami in 2008 with my husband Rob and my two children. I instantly felt a strong kinship to Detroit and had a desire to help my community.
In 2009, I found that I had three hours of free time while my kids were in nursery school and decided to volunteer at a non-profit. While working there I became close with a woman named Krista, who ran the front office. One day we went out for lunch and Krista admitted she was feeling low because her and her two children were going to be homeless in two weeks.
I couldnít fathom the heartache she must have felt while speaking those words. She hid it so well. I decided to co-find a non-profit called Humble Design. The company was born out of my desire to help mothers and children coming out of homeless and abuse shelters.
We help to rebuild their lives by taking gently used, donated home goods and furniture and re-purposing them to build a comfortable home.
When leaving the shelter these families are often worse off because they have nothing. They often return to the shelter, because as hard as shelter life is, it is sometime preferable to living in the dark and sleeping on the floor.
Humble Designís first home was her friends, the one who I met while volunteering. Krista is now a board member and was promoted at her work place.
I am so proud of the work we do and of our growth. We have furnished 431 family's homes in Detroit since 2009 and are working on 2-5 families a week. We would love your support. It would mean so much to us here in Detroit fighting the good fight.
Here is a link to a recent news piece from Mitch Albom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfSW6o5GtUQ&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for your consideration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: