TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Sense Of Direction From TV Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emrad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Sense Of Direction From TV Shows Reply with quote

Here's something I don't think I've ever heard anyone bring up about TV shows...

Question: When you are watching a TV show do you ever register a sense of direction... like, what general direction, North, East, West or South the stage is in, the audience, and so on?

Some of the impressions I've gotten from shows over the years: Watching All In The Family, I'd always thought, looking towards Archie sitting in his chair with the staircase in the background must have been looking south. Three's Company, I'd gotten the sense that, looking over the sofa towards the front door of the apartment set, we were looking east. Good Times, looking towards the windows in the back of the set I figured was looking north, so the kitchen would be east and the front door on the left would be west.
Same thing for Big Bang Theory's apartment set where it gives me the impression the audience must be looking north towards the stage.
Barney Miller, looking towards the cell from center stage, I always thought, was looking south, with the squad room entrance east and Miller's office west.

Other shows have given me an almost imprisoned sense of direction. Like Original Star Trek, where the Enterprise appears to me to be perpetually moving east as did the submarine Seaview in Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.
The original Galactica always seemed to be going south.

Just impressions about direction that go on in the background of consciousness while watching TV shows and I realize they probably are all wrong, but it's funny what the imagination will do when not under direct supervision!

I don't even know how easy it would be to do research to confirm directional impressions about all those shows and it isn't really that important, I suppose.

But with all this directional confusion, it was kind of nice recently to find out that I had gotten at least one of them right.
As many of you probably know, parts of the 1970s television show EMERGENCY! Were filmed at an actual L. A. fire station. Station 127 in Carson to be specific. That station is still there.
I'd always had the impression that looking at the station from the street was looking north and a recent check with google maps confirmed this.
Unfortunately this only adds more confusion, where, on at least one episode I've noticed the national colors being hoisted out front of the station at what must be some time in the afternoon! Smile

Best wishes, one and all!

Emrad
artist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: The View From Here Reply with quote

Look up the definition of remote viewing. The only remote viewing experience I have has been on occasion I can't find the remote for the tv. Lol
Emrad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, artist!

Right! Smile

We have several remotes we use for our viewing...

Anyhow, I always seemed to have a strong perception of direction. I could usually rely on it to navigate the most complex maze of buildings - used to be a big help on one of my former jobs.
Trouble is, it could be just as much of a handicap on the occasion it got set the wrong way.
It always seems to be set by some sort of initial imprint. Following that, there isn't much I'm able to do to reset it.

I remember one apartment my family moved into decades ago... Somehow my sense of direction in that place got all twisted up right from the night we pulled into the parking lot for the first time.
Looking towards the western horizon, my mind was always telling me I was facing north 90 degrees off.
Things got even worse when I went inside, for what felt like surely must be north was actually the south wall of our apartment, a full 180 degrees off!
We lived there nearly five years and in all that time I never was able to re-establish a correct sense of direction, no matter how many times I rationalized it or told myself what direction was true. Sometimes I could make myself almost dizzy trying. It was only in that place things seemed so specifically turned around and it stayed like that until the day we moved out.

Anyhow, as for the imaginary or perceived sense of direction that I get off the motion picture screen... it never seems to matter what direction the screen or TV is facing, either.

Odd, isn't it?

Emrad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: