TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Cell phones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another problem of the same kind. Had a car crash two years ago..and a cellphone with empty battery in my pocket. (Gladly nobody was injured!!)
And one more one year ago. Our kindergarten tried to call me 'cause my son had thrown up all over the place. My phone was allright, the kindergarten had the right number....but nothing worked. I picked my son up at his usual time and he looked all green and was really miserable. Poor baby Crying or Very sad !!!
goldie2shoes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Cell Phone Reply with quote

Cell Phones
Above all you (we) need to be respectful. Follow "The Golden Rule" so to speak. Realize that not everyone wants to hear personal details of your day to day life. I like the word Courtesy. This is a word that seems to have very little meaning now-a-days.
Communicating is what we are doing here....cell phones are really still evolving it was not that long ago that we were carrying a brick of a phone or one that shouted beam me up Scotty.
The possibilities are endless just like the automobile industry.
People buy and use cell phones for there own personal reasons and should be used with safety along with courtesy in mind at all times. I know that I do not want to go back to the old way and dig for a quarter(s) find a filthy and I do mean filthy (you may or may not really know what I mean) pay phone to use!
I personally went through more than one non- communication moment it felt like the world stood still or Dr. Seuss,
Quote:
Horton hears a Who
. We’re here we’re here ……four times due to catastrophic events! I may be one of a chosen few but I like watching technology evolve if it is for the greater good!
Very Happy
hossie88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think phones are brilliant !!!my grandad got a mobile phone and he is 77 !!!!! i thought him how to text and he is now able to work the phone !!!!!! he is so amazed with the technology today with ipods and the internet !!!!!!
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why won't this delete???? Sorry, I was editing my message (which follows) and duplicated.

Last edited by achristmasstory on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I little off subject, but I get a laugh at the size of mobile phones in some not so old movies. For instance, Julia Robert's phone in "My Best Friend's Wedding". It's amazing how quickly things compact.
joalis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I never saw that movie, I was curious what the phone looked like. So I looked up the year it was made (1997), went google image browsing, and found this really cool page.

http://www.improveverywhere.com/2005/08/28/old-timey-1997-photo-booth/
russell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phones are wonderful .. I do not think anyone should be without the assurance of a just in case an emergency of some sort .. and yes, technology in mobile phones are getting better .. That's almost like the magic of Bluetooth technology in most mobile phones.
Emrad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t yet have a cell phone. But every so often I have borrowed a family member’s cell phone when we needed to arrange to stay in touch. I continue to be disappointed with the audio quality of the new digital phones. I’ve seen the Blackberry and I-Phones. They’re really neat in terms of toting around a portable computer. But when it comes to hooking up with someone via voice communications, I think they could sound better.
I had the opportunity, as a part of my job, back in the 1980s, to use the old FM cell phones and I have to say at the time I was impressed with the audio quality of them. The digital phones, in my opinion, have a lot of catching up to do.

So, yeah, they have a lot more features (bells and whistles) these days, but when I hear them pushing audio quality as a selling point I’m like, “Yeah, right!”, because I can remember how good they sounded in the past.

The main reason I figure they went digital wasn’t for audio quality or even the privacy issue, it was because digital allows them to put multiple users on one radio channel… more subscribers on their systems. More revenue… bottom line.

I still haven’t heard of any cell phones that allow the user to contact another cell phone DIRECTLY, without having to go through the cell network, (somebody tell me if I’m wrong about this) even if they happen to be in range. I mentioned this to someone I know who actually works in the cell phone industry and this person tried to tell me all about the walkie talkie feature that lets you talk to any other phone anywhere in the US… I don’t think so… it runs through the network, just like everything else. So if the network goes away, your cell phone is useless for communications.

A couple years ago I was in a pretty bad traffic accident (the person who hit me came from behind and to the side, I never even saw it coming). After coming to my senses and spitting out the radiator coolant from the other guy’s car, I picked up my trusty UHF amateur radio handheld transceiver and called for assistance. There was another operator monitoring the local repeater who quickly answered & summoned help, but should that repeater have not been there, it would still have been possible to use that radio to contact another station directly and THAT is a cell phone feature, if it existed, that would be a selling point for me.

Emrad
Emrad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phones... An update:

Well… I’ve a bit more to add to the above remarks about cell phones.

A few developments have happened in my life since the time of my last cell phone post.
One of them in particular, happened last Christmas when a good friend of mine gave me a cell phone as a Christmas present.
Yes, it's true. I now own a cell phone. I never thought there'd come a day when I'd be able to say that.
Embarassed

It’s just a very basic phone with a screen about the size of a postage stamp.
Here are some of my observations:

Once I put it in service and began using it to communicate with friends and family I quickly realized that text messaging has become much more popular than voice.
Something about that bothers me but I can’t seem to pin down exactly what it is… learning how to type left me with kind of a feeling of achievement (it sure makes writing a lot faster).
It would be nice to be able to connect a full size keyboard up to that dinky little phone and be able to pound out text at rates of words per minute instead of letters. That’s one thing; the idea that I have gotten experienced enough to be able to type out messages on that miniature little ten key without having to put on my bifocals… I can’t believe I’ve gotten that experienced and proficient at sending text in such a slow way…
UGH!
Shameful!
Every time I do it I end up feeling like I’ve picked up a bad habit!

Text messaging does have a couple of advantages. You can communicate in places where yakking out loud would be offensive or disruptive, like a library, for example.
Another advantage comes in terms of power consumption.
For the time you are writing or composing your text message, most of the power being consumed from the battery goes towards lighting up the screen. Then, when you hit the send button the phones transmitter is only on the air for the second or two it takes to send that short digital file – efficient, in terms of power consumption as opposed to voice, which runs a constant stream of data packets out the transmitter and requires the receiver to be on 100%.
So, yeah, I can have that phone on for 24 hours or more & maybe send and receive several text messages and it’ll still show a healthy charge…
Then again, just one good rag chew conversation can deplete a fully charged battery.

In their favour, I have to say, during the time I’ve had this thing I’ve never found a place yet that does not have at least marginal signal coverage… I’ve never had a dropped call.
I’ve give them that. I guess cell sites are more plentiful than they’ve ever been.
But my main gripe about cell phones is still the audio quality of the digital audio compression they use.

I miss the quality of the old FM analog cell phones. They sounded great… like being on a land line.
With today’s phones, it doesn’t seem to matter which phone you’re using, either. I’ve talked on blackberrys that warble with digital artifacts just as badly as my little $20.00 special. It’s something inherent in the system they’re using nowadays.
When they can clean up the audio to where they don’t warble anymore, and the person you’re talking to on the other end sound like themselves, instead of some sort of demented synthesizer, then I’ll be impressed.

I’ll be impressed… But I’ll still prefer yakking over the two way radio!
Smile

Best wishes, one and all!

Emrad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: