TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Science Fiction and the Past (help with an old movie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Science Fiction and the Past (help with an old movie) Reply with quote

I am trying to remember the name of an old sci-fi (or horror)movie. I watched it in the early 60's on Dr Evil's Horror Theater. I believe the name of it was "The End" because the catch line at the end was "The Beginning". It was about a group of people held up in a cabin in a valley because of monsters that I think were caused be something nuclear. They were waiting on it to rain and bring down an acid rain that would kill all of them. It rained a normal rain killing the monsters. Of course I could have done a mind mingle melding memories of many movies together in my mind.

Help!
Emrad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Old movie... Reply with quote

Greetings, achristmasstory.

Part of the story you mentioned, the part about the rain reminds me of an old B&W sci-fi movie made back in the 50s, I think.

The movie was The Monolith Monsters.

Rather than monsters, though, the story was more about a force of nature introduced to just the right conditions and running straight out of control. If memory serves me, the story opens out on some desert road where a mystery rock from outer space lands. Somehow water was introduced to the stone immediately starting a reaction that caused the rock to start growing. I guess the idea was that these things would grow, tap into ground water and shoot up into towering spires that would reach a certain height, break at their bases, topple over and shatter into pieces. Then each of the pieces would start to grow, thus, propagating the rock "front" across the earth's surface. I also seem to remember anyone unfortunate enough to touch the stone would quickly become petrified. I can't remember how they stopped the advance of the rocks... something to do with rain or perhaps seawater (I haven't seen this film in a very long time.
Though, can you imagine what an awesome remake it would be if done right?

Emrad
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned on the TV (can't sleep) and there was my movie!!!!!!

"The Day the World Ended" 1955

Yea for insomnia!!!
Emrad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

achristmasstory wrote:
Turned on the TV (can't sleep) and there was my movie!!!!!!

"The Day the World Ended" 1955

Yea for insomnia!!!

Hey! Glad you found it! I've got a movie like that. My father, on the weekends, used to watch this scifi theatre-type thing in the afternoons. They used to run all sorts of old science fiction and horror movies. They were really big on the Japan monster movies, Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra and so on. I think it was a 50s American scifi movie I can remember watching part of... something about astronauts having landed on an alien planet and they wound up with this woman who seemed or looked human but she was more like a human-looking hive queen, of whatever alien species she was. Laid eggs in the ship...
The thing I can remember most clearly about it was her frightening hypnotic grin... I think it's how she subdued her human prey... kinda like females of our species, only way more severe. Razz

Anyhow... that's the only time I ever saw that movie... never forgot it and I wonder what the title was.

The Day The World Ended, 1955 I'll have to check that out.
I still say The Monolith Monsters was a good one... I think it starred Les Tremayne. I think it would be a totally awesome blockbuster remake.

Best wishes!

Emrad
achristmasstory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to find it. The closest thing I came across was "Queen of Outer Space" where the planet was Venus and the Queen was one of the Gabors. Nothing about eggs though. If you google in eggs all you get is Alien or Critters. Good Luck! Hope you don't have to wait years for a sleepless night.
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

I read your posts and I hope you can help me, too.
The movie I try to find is no science fiction or future/monster related film. But maybe you or anyone else out there can help me. I remember an American movie I've seen when I was a kid. It was about a little boy named TJ who lost his mother. Someone found his dad who left his mom and him when he was a baby. The boy had to stay with his father whom he never saw before. The father was a boxer. In the end the dad has to make a decision. Either he gives up on boxing (due to his health condition) or he jumps into a fight with a real tough rival. He decides to fight cause he thinks he can't do anything else for a living. He wants to win for his son whom he is just getting to know. He not only loses his fight, he also dies in the ordeal.
It was a sad film and I think it was the very first that made me cry...
Emrad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be, The Champ, with Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper?
Some parts of the description for that movie sounded a little like your post.
I probably never saw it.

Can you think of anyone who starred in it or maybe the director?

Emrad
LadyHawke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Queen of Outer Space! This was the movie I was trying to rewrite for a Galaxy Quest II movie. I have the treatment and the movie. Beauchamp (spell?) ruined the treatment with his rendition. There was something in that treatment that I swiped for GQ2.

Now, Tim, will you consider making it? I KNOW Steven Spielberg holds the rights to it, but come on now. You do have your loan paid off from "otuside" don't you, now? I shouldn't cost that much to acquire the rights!
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrad wrote:
Could it be, The Champ, with Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper?
Some parts of the description for that movie sounded a little like your post.
I probably never saw it.

Can you think of anyone who starred in it or maybe the director?

Emrad

Hey,

thanks!
That's the one... I've seen it over 20 years ago so my memory of the storyline was a bit blurred.. Laughing
Emrad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

achristmasstory wrote: "I'm trying to find it. The closest thing I came across was "Queen of Outer Space" where the planet was Venus and the Queen was one of the Gabors. Nothing about eggs though. If you google in eggs all you get is Alien or Critters. Good Luck! Hope you don't have to wait years for a sleepless night."

Me too. I don't think Queen Of Outer Space was it, though. I tried googling a number of things... One looked promising, The Wasp Woman, or something like that but that wasn't it either. What a frightning grin that character had... yeesh! From what I can remember it was all done with lighting and camera angles... I think it was a B movie but they did a good job with what they had.

Hasepup1980, Glad to hear. If I ever saw The Champ it was so long ago I wouldn't have had any memory of it in particular... unless I saw it again it wouldn't ring any bells... so to speak.

Thinking about all this, another old movie came to mind... another old one my father and I watched one weekend afternoon on the family's old glow in the dark television... science fiction/horror, something about mirrors. You know when you place two mirrors opposite one another the repeated reflections give the illusion of another space stretching into the mirrors to infinity? Some memory about ghosts or creatures that lived in those spaces, and another about someone smashing the mirrors to resolve the plot, somehow. I am unable to recall much more than that.

Emrad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: