TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

pluto not a planet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wisp66

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: pluto not a planet Reply with quote

Last week, It was posted that an official definition of "planet" was being debated that would have expanded the number in our solar system to at least twelve. In the end though, the International Astronomical Union went with a much more conservative definition. Pluto has been demoted to a "dwarf planet, resulting in a decrease in the number of "classical" planets in our solar system to eight. From the Associated Press:
Much-maligned Pluto doesn't make the grade under the new rules for a planet: "a celestial body that is in orbit around the sun, has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a ... nearly round shape, and has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit."

Pluto is automatically disqualified because its oblong orbit overlaps with Neptune's.

Instead, it will be reclassified in a new category of "dwarf planets," similar to what long have been termed "minor planets." The definition also lays out a third class of lesser objects that orbit the sun -- "small solar system bodies," a term that will apply to numerous asteroids, comets and other natural satellites.
ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS? im not sure about your guys and girls but i was taught in school it was a planet.....and i always will think of it as one

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LadyWriter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then explain

http://sse.jpl.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Mercury&Display=Overview

Now I am confused. Okay, that is frequent. Is elliptical better than oval? Isn't there one that travels backwards or upside down?

Did anyone request their tests be re-graded after Pluto's downgrading? "Told you there were only eight!"
ufofruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[i][b][size=18][/size] Exclamation

"It is a planet! It is a planet!! Cause [u]I[/u] said so!!!!
(I'm from Pluto!!...Oohh gees I should not of said that!)[/b][/i]
sohal231

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> New Discoveries All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: