TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Star Crash: The Best Worst Movie Ever!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Star Crash: The Best Worst Movie Ever!!! Reply with quote

I saw Star Crash at a Drive In theater with high school friends; we were under the impression it was going to be like Star Wars.... didn't take long into the film to discover how wrong we were. At the time I thought it was the worst movie I'd ever seen; I remember laughing at it because it was so bad. The one line I recalled after so many years was, "I'm just refining my powers." by Stella Star's sidekick, who now reminds me of Ralph, the Great American Hero. I hadn't seen the movie since the 70's & when it came out on dvd I had to get it.

"Go for hyperspace!"

"Now maybe is a good time to use your ancient system of prayer & hope it works for robots."

"Yes, he is Simon, son of the emperor & heir to the throne."

And the best line ever: "Imperial battleship, Halt the flow of time!"

Stella Star, the beautiful Caroline Munroe, spends half the movie running around in a leather bikini like Barberella. They dubbed her voice with one that does not work at all.

And wow; outer space is so colorful, it looks like Christmas lights instead of stars.
This film has everything from fighting Amazon women to Ray Harryhausen moments; not to mention lasers shooting out of eyes.....

There's evidently a cult following for this awesomely bad movie.

Viewing it after so many years has been nostalgic, highly entertaining, and very inspiring for me as a writer. There are so many laughable, cringe worthy lines in this movie it gives me hope for some of my own writing; I feel a kinship with "cringe"... when you aspire to greatness and your work is total cringe instead..... it's still art; LOL.

And for the record....... I Love This Movie.
artist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Star Crash Trailer Reply with quote

"You are about to be hurled through the blackness of a hundred million nights........"

Leave it to youtube; it has everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

Trailer for Star Crash.
Emrad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be an old movie house - type theatre in mid city... It may still be there but I think it has long since risigned to the blue movie crowd. Anyhow, a friend and I went there to see Star Crash when it came out. The day we were there there just happened to be a couple of wise guys somewhere up in the seats behind us. At times I didn't know what was funnier, the bad special effects or the heckling that would send the audience into a roar - I mean these guys were funny! And the "light" kept drifting away from the guy's light sword.

I certainly remember Caroline Munro's appearance in that movie and also in the 007 film The Spy Who Loved Me. Quite fetching is she. I didn't realize they had dubbed in another voice.

But I must agree, artist... It was an extraordinarily bad movie - so bad it's good. So bad it's worthy of note in motion picture history!

Emrad
artist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: STAAAAAARRRRRR CRAAAAAAAASSSHHHH Reply with quote

Emrad, whatever comments those guys were making were probably better than most of the dialog in the movie. It's funny how something I thought was so awful at the time I now appreciate enough to buy the dvd. The script, the acting, the special effects & the hair; lol; it's spectacular.

I don't know why they dubbed Caroline's voice so badly; she is British, maybe she couldn't do an American accent well? Most male reviews I've read about the movie could care less about her voice; lol; it's all about her skimpy costumes.

Considering how many years ago the movie was made; it has not withstood the test of time, it has improved, like a fine wine that gets better with age; lol.

Evidently, "Imperial battleship...... halt the flow of time!" actually worked.
Emrad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few viable contenders for best worst movie...

One that comes to mind from around that same era...

The Big Bus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPpBGsFddao&NR=1

A must-see!

Emrad
artist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Itsy Bitsy Leather Bikini Reply with quote

Emrad, I never saw the Big Bus, but that preview looks epic; lol. I'd definitely watch it if I get the chance.

Btw, when Caroline Munroe read the Star Crash script, she was under the impression she'd be wearing a space suit costume; she was quite surprised when she was handed those leather strips.... she probably thought it was a belt.

"Oh, does this go under the costume?"

"No, that is the costume."

lol
Emrad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we were all blown away by Star Wars around that time. And I can remember going to see Star Crash thinking we were going to get to see some more great space action, another Star Wars – like movie… That’s the reason I wanted to go see it. ‘Course, Stella Star was the reason I went back and saw it again, I admit it! Wink

Crash wasn’t the only movie that seemed to be an attempt to capitalize on the Star Wars mania… I seem I remember an Ice Pirates movie… another contender for best worst?

Incidentally, there seemed to be a trend there for a while to dub in American sounding voices to films. Remember Mad Max? The version that came out first had all overdubbed voices… almost all of them overplayed (my opinion) to the point where it sounded like a Speed Racer cartoon. I think actor Roger Davis of Alias Smith And Jones fame provided the voice of Max. It was refreshing to finally see the film with the original voices intact (the rest of the soundtrack seemed of higher quality as well).

Emrad
artist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: HHHAALLLT THHHEEE FLOOOOW OOOFFF TIMMMMEEEEE Reply with quote

You actually went back & saw it again? lol; I wanted my money back.

Star Wars was a tough act for anyone to follow when it first came out; it was so awesome. At least Ice Pirates was meant to be funny; I recalled a line about stuffing that I'd laughed at & looked it up & found the meal was made from, "my dead mother's stuffing... and fresh garlic from a real garden."

Star Crash does have deliberate humor moments....and many that were not meant to be. And I know what you mean about a voice actor not quite getting it right; lol. In Star Crash sometimes the voices don't even match the film, for example: "Eject! Eject! .......his lips are not moving in sync with the sound; lol. As Stella Star would say, "What in the universe is that?"

The more I watch Star Crash the more inspired I become..... the next story I write is going to soar "beyond the haunted stars."

They kept talking about the "haunted stars" in Star Crash.... They really should make a sequel.
Emrad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artist wrote: "They kept talking about the "haunted stars" in Star Crash.... They really should make a sequel."

In this day and age of motion picture and television rehashes, remakes and resurrections, your wish might come true. Star Crash was an Italian film, was it not? I’ve wondered if what they were trying to do at the time was embrace the space opera thing the same way they had so successfully done with westerns.

Yeah, I went back to see Stella Star. Caroline Munro was really something to behold back then. I almost cried when 007 shot her out of the sky in The Spy Who Loved Me. lol

You never know, we might be hearing from Star Crash again someday. They seem to want to remake everything. It would be interesting to follow the rise of a new sub genre, the spaghetti space opera.

By the way, I had heard they were remaking Logan’s Run. There were regular updates on various websites including William F. Nolan… but lately all news of it seems to have come to a halt. Another resurrection of sorts is starting to look more promising of late… a remake of the old British science fiction series UFO. A friend of mine turned me on to this site: http://ufo-themovie.com/shado/

I hope they keep the girls in the purple wigs! lol

Emrad
artist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Here Comes The Space Bride Reply with quote

Did you know Caroline could also sing? Here you go, seeing as you're such a fan; her singing a Gary Numan song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1O9YjthV4c&feature=related
Pretty cool.

A remake of Logan's Run? Why not? It was a tv series at one time. Remember the Powers of Matthew Star? They should bring that one back while they're at it; lol.

I like the idea of a remake of Star Crash and also a sequel that would have the original cast in it; I can see it now.... "A Wedding In Space." After 30 years Stella & Prince Simon finally get married.... lol.

Stella Star, "I thought you'd never ask."

Simon, "Blame it on the imperial battleship, being exposed to "halt the flow of time" so often seems to have made me slow about some things...."

lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Science Fiction and the Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: