TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Men Who Have Walked on the Moon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmwalter

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Men Who Have Walked on the Moon Reply with quote

I was just watching Jay Leno, and had no idea before that that you were interested in space and astronauts. There is another man who has walked on the Moon--Neil Armstrong. He is from my hometown of Wapakoneta, OH--just down I-75 from Detroit.

We are going to be celebrating the 40th anniversary of the first step on the moon. With the economy in the toilet, well, it seems that we're going to be 'celebrating' by closing the museum that was opened here in his honor.

I've written to the governor for help, I've written to the Smithsonian, but haven't heard back. http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/05/ohio_officials_hope_to_keep_ne.html

This is an inspiring museum (their webpage is not so good) that really needs to remain open. How can we lose interest in such a monumental achievement? How can we allow the memory to fade without a fight.

The 20% Historical Society cut will most likely close it, as the facility employs only 2-3 employees as it is.

Would you be willing to help the effort to keep the museum open? Is there any chance you could lend a hand at garnering support for this effort? You know people--you're a name--you're a fan.

Any help you could lend would be so appreciated.
jmwalter

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard back from Tom Crouch, Senior Curator of Space and Aeronautics at the Smithsonian. It seems that he was the designer of the original displays at the Armstrong Museum--along with much of the design--when he was working on his PhD at OSU. He's a native Daytonian and is totally on board with helping keep the museum going.

This should be bigger than an Ohio Historical Society function--it should be a national museum and receive Federal funding, considering it was a major acheivement to be celebrated and honored by the entire country. Closing the museum would be a loss to all Americans, not just Ohioan.

Please us in this effort, Tim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> New Discoveries All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: