TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Admin's Inside Look at the Taping of the Special

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> FAQ- Tim
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Admin's Inside Look at the Taping of the Special Reply with quote

As many of you already know, I'm the website designer/admin, but I'm also a comedy writer. I wrote for the show "Home Improvement" and had the great fortune to be one of four writers on this Home Improvement Special we taped January 24th, (the other three being the original creators of the show.) Here’s my insider's assessment of the Special.

I can’t begin to tell you guys how much fun I had, and we all had working on this Home Improvement Special. We had so many of our crew people back from the original show and it was definitely “old home week.” All these guys (director, sound guys, special effects, camera, make-up, wardrobe, technical, etc.) are really the best in the business and have all gone on to do different shows and projects over the last 3 years but all who were available, reunited (at Tim’s request) and it was definitely “FAMILY TIME”! There were a lot of hugs and reminiscing during the first day of rehearsals and the “new” line producer of the show was in awe and even admitted a bit of envy in that in all of the hundreds of shows he’s produced, he has never experienced or even witnessed this kind of bonding! That’s a true testament to the quality of the show “Home Improvement.” I truly believe what goes on back stage gets translated directly to the performance and thus, to the television audience, right?

And in addition -- Tim was top notch and IN HIS ELEMENT! First, during rehearsals, he did what he loves to do most – and that was cracking the crew up. They really missed him, love him and love laughing at his silly antics. The other part was the extraordinary feeling of having a dedicated audience. You guys couldn’t even imagine what it was like when the first scene started and Debbe Dunning said, “Please welcome, Tim, the “Tool Man” Taylor!” There was a frenzied 2 minute standing ovation of hoots and hollers, grunting and clapping, and a hell of a lot of plaid! It was craziness! And then when “Al” delivered his famous line, “I don’t think so, Tim”, the audience again went nutty! You should have seen Debbe, Tim and Rick’s face on stage in those first moments! They were absolutely priceless! I’m not even sure if we/Disney/ABC can even use that take. We had to do it again, just to get a “calmer” version of the audience where lines could actually be heard.

And then there was Tim. He was at his candid best; entertaining, ad-libbing lines, commenting to the audience and discussing hilarious subjects “off-script” just because he was so delighted to be on stage again and have such an incredibly responsive audience.

The Q & A session was great, but probably most of it won’t wind up in the aired show because some of the questions were odd and Tim revealed things that perhaps aren’t “Disney Acceptable”... but believe me – very, very funny stuff. I don’t know how we’re going to cut this amazing show into 60 minutes. (I guess that’s our biggest challenge!)

After the show, many of us, including Tim, went over to a billard spot in Santa Monica to relax and celebrate.

All in all, the show was an incredible success. I was very proud to be a writer on it and just so you know -- Tim had THE BEST TIME!

I want to thank all the people who came to the show via this website, and it was a pleasure to meet some of you guys in person! I personally videotaped some of the rehearsal the day before. I have put a “sneak” preview video up under the “AUDIO/VIDEO” section of the main site and will be adding more.

Also, if any of you have questions about the show, what took place, my role, or other specifics, I’d be happy to answer them for you under the forum “The Home Improvement ABC Special!” Back by popular demand! Share your enthusiasm and thoughts pre-show and post show." Also, you should check out some of the member reviews under the same forum.

Hope you enjoy it!

Kim, the Admin/Webmastette!
P.S. Thanks for all the great comments about the site. It's taken with much appreciation!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> FAQ- Tim All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: