TimAllen.com
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Perhaps I am dumb, but.....?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Lighting the Light! A positive Approach to the World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D. Rice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
Oh, and I am a woman. A tired, middle aged, salt and pepper haired, overwieght woman.

.. Somthing about blatant, bold-faced, lay-it-on-the-table honesty that sounds kinda beautiful to me...
dee606

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I add my two-bits and hope I make some sense.
There are over 1.2 billion muslims worldwide, they represent about 22% of the world's population. They are the second largest religion in the world. Only Christianity is larger, with 33% of the world's inhabitants.
The al Qaeda is a very small group(sadly deadly but very small).
My BIL is a muslim from Saudi he loves his country and ours(he has duel citizenship). He says children are their most precious asset to their country and for al Qaeda to use these poor young men and women as martyrs in the name of Allah is against everything that Islam stands for.

As for me..I chose not to be afraid to live the way I'm living now. I chose to be good and do good for others. I've raised my kids to accept others as they are and not as you want them or think they should to be.
I believe in working on peace and I will never give up hope for this world. Smile
Peace,
Dee
I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
Buddha
K.C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with you. I just wish I understood these guys. They just don't seem to fit into anything I understand. I feel for your friend too many people connect being Muslem or from the middle east to these fanatics. That is just frustrating to me.
Again, perhaps i am dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering - Well said for someone saying they did not understand psychology, "...looking for meaning of existence." Better stated than I had thought about. If someone is so lost that they find this a direction to fill an emptiness was there that much, anger? Of what?

That part about do not make assumptions to all others is right. The book and its author mentioned in Tim's journal entry who was upset about Muslims not condemning the radicals enough, would that help? Could so many in the same religion saying unacceptable, always positive in method, to the few become enough of a 'monster' to stop it? Would that fill the emptiness, direction?

Sorry, a note made me think about the above.

Quote:
Sophie, first of all the Holocaust was not the act of Germans but of Nazis, Criminals who happened to live in Germany.

Was Hitler elected into office and not removed from office once his own terrorism started? Asking, not very good about history. I can easily understand about being too afraid to challenge them; no one wants to speak up to the wrong person and end up dead after only a few words. Have found can speak up and defend yourself successfully without harm to anyone. Just have to try. Very frightening but can be done.

Being long winded, What would stop it?

The part about recommitting to positives and doing this always, I will have to agree. Seems like a great idea to peace and be able to enjoy what life has to offer.

[/quote]
hoggie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What do they get out of it? Reply with quote

"Most of these suicide bombers are young men who grew up under totalitarian governments and stifled centrally-controlled economies."

I beg to differ - at least two of the London bombers were British. Men who had come to Britain as children as assylum seekers and been taken in, educated and supported. As such they should recognise the benefits of Western life - not want to destroy it.

"These poor creatures are looking for some kind of meaning to their existence, some validation, some feeling that they really matter. All it takes is for someone representing some "movement" or "cause" of some kind to come along and convince them that doing a particular act of violence will allow them to die a hero's death and get a special place in heaven."

They are taken in by certain mosques and basically brainwashed into believing that this is what Allah wants

"I feel just as sorry for the suicide bombers as for the victims. These men obviously had nothing else to live for. It's their so-called "leaders" that I despise. Sad[/quote]"

On the contrary they have families who are bewildered by their actions and one at least left young children - nothing to live for, I don't think so!
hoggie
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: What do they get out of it? Reply with quote

Canadienne wrote:

I don't know enough about psychology to know how exactly this all works. It would appear, however, that it certainly does. It seems that if you find the right person at the right desperate time, you can convince them to do almost any horrible thing and feel that it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Sad

This reminded me of the Morton Rhue book THE WAVE. It gives a wonderful explanation, about how violence, prejudice, intolerance and in the end Nazism can be created in a totalitarian system. And what I found most fascinating is the fact, that tha class"loser" ( the one who had no friends before) becomes the most frenetic supporter of the movement "The Wave". Talk about parallels! Pick someone who has nothing and is nothing, teach him how to treat enemies and he will develop his own methods of torturing others in no time!
IMHO this is the reason why many older Germans feel guilty, even though the were at home during WW2 and killed nobody.
What I could understand very well was the end of the experiment. All these kids sitting there, waiting for their "leader"...seeing the picture of Adolf Hitler. Must've been the shock of their lifetimes!
It's too easy to be dragged itno a situation of that kind. I still wonder what I would've become if the GDR still existed. It too was a totalitarian system, with only one view of the world. All social and communist states were our brotherstates. The imperialistic western states were our enemies. And that's just what they taught us kids in primary school! So I think it absolutely possible that I might have become a member of the Stasi, as well. Either you go with the flow or you are punished for the rest of your life. And not only you...your family, your kids..everyone around you. Some people are always taking it too far....

The ones who don't know their own history are doomed to live it all over again and again.
I don't know who said this once, but I agree heartily.
And it is not just the mistakes and faults in my history or your history. It's the mistakes in the history of mankind.
auburnboattail

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: What do they get out of it. Reply with quote

Terrorist by definition perform violent acts to instill terror into civilization.
There goal is terrorize cultures so much as to accept their point of view, be it Islam, Catholosim, Nazism, Facism, Communism or any other ism.
It stems from hatred of the terriozed group and need for control. The current Terror war is nothing new under the son.
It is simply Good vs. Evil fight.

With the terror, purportrators try to force their will and beliefs on you. In the current case Islam over Christianity.
You are only defeated when indeed you are afraid of their acts.
Hasepup1980

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's Islam vs. Christianity, because Islam sees every non-believing human being as an enemy, too.
auburnboattail

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: agree Reply with quote

agree Islam believes all non Muslim are infidels.
Does not change the premise that Allah is not the God of the New and Old testament.
Therefore Either Christ is God or Allah is God ,not both.
Because he rose from the dead and conqured death, all was made by him for him Christ is GOD.
Therefore any that pretend to be Christ or GOD are ANTI-Christ.

Good vs, Evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TimAllen.com Forum Index -> Lighting the Light! A positive Approach to the World All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: